PDA

View Full Version : Want to make my first LED string need some help

DarthMike
12-27-2014, 11:55 AM
So I have made what I think is a pretty cool looking hilt using some hardware store supplies, and I am ordering the 1 inch thick walled blade now. My blade holder is set up specifically to tightly fit the blade and allow room for the wires to pass down and through the hilt to my power supply. Here is where I have hit a road block. I happen to have some 18350 li ion batteries laying around and was hoping to use them for this project. Also I wanted to gut a toy saber for the sound effects. What information do I need to know so I don't over/under power my components? I have been researching heavily but can't find much information on using these 18350 batteries which are 700mAh 3.7 volts. I'm not decided on how many LEDs to use either and would like to add accent lights and a switch with an LED inside of it. Any insight would be appreciated. The physical building is easy for me and I havr a good understanding of building circuits and soldering I just need to figure out how to power this thing and if I will need to add any resistance or move to using AA battery packs.

Weaver
12-27-2014, 08:02 PM
I do not have specific knowledge about scavenging boards, but there are many threads on this forum on that subject. The only advice I can give you is to look up the masters and figure out how it translates to your goal.

As regards the blade, there are several excellent tutorials on stringblades. I would suggest studying Slothfurnace, or going to YouTube and studying Hamton's Handcrafted Sabers.

Ideally, you want to make a compromise between voltage and amperage. Research the term "seriallel". It is detailled in the CF LS 6.5 manual, available at plecterlabs.com.

I would also strongly advise finding an existing tutorial on the specific board you've chosen. There could be transistor bypasses, potentiometers, resistors, and a bunch of other complications. In many ways, it really is simpler just to buy a sound board and study the manual. I have had great luck with the Petit Crouton. The choice is yours.

Just make sure you know what you're getting into. Component blades are not for the beginner.

SpaceWindu
04-24-2015, 08:54 AM
Will certainly be easier to wire a parallel blade and connect to a NB or another used board, but you won't have the special effects of a string blade like scrolling up and down. It will just turn on and off and have the pulse effects (if the board has pulse effects, an MR doesn't).

But why not go straight to the 'source' and get a Plecter Labs Crystal Focus LS? It is made specifically for string blades,... 'Erv and others have already done all the research and design, AND you will get all the fruits of their labors which make a string blade great such as scrolling up and down, and Accubolt special blaster effects features.