PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on wiring

daviesevan68
12-23-2014, 06:56 PM
This is my first post so please tell me if I do something wrong.

I have just received my order from TCSS and am having trouble wiring it correctly. I can get the switch to light up but not the blade emitter when everything is attached. The blade emitter lights up when I bypass the switch. I just can't get it all to work together.

The parts I have are:
Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module in green

4AA Battery Holder with JST connector

16mm Anti Vandal Latching Yellow Dot Switch with 20mA DynaOhm? Variable Resistor

2.7ohm 10w resistor

Everything is from the modular wiring system with JST connectors except the 2.7ohm 10w resistor. I don't know if maybe I did my math wrong or something else but would love some help.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-23-2014, 07:04 PM
First, Welcome to the Forums.

Are those the only things you have? If so, there will likely need to be modifications made. A picture of the pieces laid out would be nice.

daviesevan68
12-23-2014, 07:26 PM
This is everything disconected

daviesevan68
12-23-2014, 07:31 PM
This is everything connected

As far as electronics go everything listed is everything I have with the eception of some female JST connectors I had to purchase

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Ummm, yeah. The switch's yellow wires control the switch itself. Since you are going to have to splice things together anyway, from the looks of it, you need to put the switch in between the battery and the main LED.

Most of the pre-wired stuff works best with one of the pre-wired sound cards or a pre-wired Buckpuck.

daviesevan68
12-23-2014, 07:39 PM

This is just batteries and LED

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-23-2014, 07:45 PM
You're only powering your switch LED. The yellow wires control the switch itself,, and since they are both connected to your main LED, nothing is going to happen.

At the top of the picture where you have the 2 red wires twisted together, one yellow wire should be connected to each of the red ones, then the circuit would work. You would also need to disconnect the JST to the red and black wires of the switch and plug them into the main LED.

daviesevan68
12-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Okay thank you. So if I wired the positive lead through the switch and went around the switch with the negative so the battery and the LED were connected would that work?
Similar to the diagram here? http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?8537-MHS-LED-kit-tutorial-(resistor-variant)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Yes, BUT the switch LED won't work, that would take more wiring.

daviesevan68
12-23-2014, 07:56 PM
Okay thats what I figured. I don't really need the LED on the switch so I will try it that way. Thank you so much for the help!