PDA

View Full Version : 3W RGB LED?

Delmustator
11-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Anyone tried using these Lux LEDs to make a multicolor saber that can be switched on the fly?

Just curious since the LEDs are available for about $10...

vortextwist
11-26-2006, 08:59 AM
as far as I have seen the only working one I have seen is this guy.

http://www.illumisabers.com
He has a video for it right here

http://www.illumisabers.com/RGB%20lightsaber.wmv
I seen he has it for sale on his site but wants like 500.00 buck for it.

xwingband
11-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Read the gallery post for Gelu''s RGB saber. Hint: I started the topic. Everything you need to know is there. There are a few RGB topics floating around too.

I haven't seen anyone showing of another yet, but I'm sure plenty have made one. I have an RGBY in my clear saber... just need to finish it.

Gelu is "selling" his for $500 because he doesn't want to let it go. :wink:

vortextwist
11-26-2006, 09:59 AM
can't wait for the pics when you get don't xwing.

Delmustator
11-26-2006, 02:21 PM
I think I will go this route with my first saber. I'm still in the design phases at the moment. Gathering ideas... :twisted:

jjshumpert
11-26-2006, 02:40 PM
remember del, the 3 w rgb is actually 3 1w diodes in one emitter, so its not gonna be as bright as your colored 3w and its gonna use alot more juice while runnin more than one color at a time... plus in order to get all the colors like gelu's rgb your gonna have to find somewhere to mount 3 pots. on your hilt somewhere and its alot to wire up.

xwingband
11-26-2006, 05:35 PM
remember del, the 3 w rgb is actually 3 1w diodes in one emitter, so its not gonna be as bright as your colored 3w and its gonna use alot more juice while runnin more than one color at a time... plus in order to get all the colors like gelu's rgb your gonna have to find somewhere to mount 3 pots. on your hilt somewhere and its alot to wire up.

Exactly why I'm not done yet... lots of wires and since my hilt is clear it has to look good. That's why I took a break before soldering the pots. The break has lasted a long time. :lol:

Firebird21
11-26-2006, 05:44 PM
lots of wires and since my hilt is clear it has to look good.

Have you thought about using ribbon wire? I think it may make it look better.

Or you could just heat shrink all the wires. If you do it that way you could braid the wires or twist them and it would make a cool impression you can see through the heat shrink.

xwingband
11-26-2006, 05:51 PM
I was going to twist them a bit... I wanted them to run up the space in the middle. Still is a lot of solders...

jjshumpert
11-27-2006, 10:21 AM
ribon cable, now thats a novel idea... ive got some old skool narrow floppy cables ill have to try that out to see how it works

Delmustator
11-28-2006, 10:23 AM
I was actually thinking about utilizing some PC serial hard drive wires that light up. I know it's PC bling but if I run it correctly, it would look killer in the hilt.