PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for future videos

Madcow
12-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Post here, your suggestions for future video tutorials on the TCSS YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCustomSaberShop

Jabbas_reluctant_slave
12-17-2014, 09:52 PM
I'd like to see a video demonstrating some unconventional and more custom switch setups.

bigkevin61
12-17-2014, 09:58 PM
PVC Chassis Construction ideas/suggestions

Ty_Bomber
12-17-2014, 10:03 PM
Li ion safety and tips on making your own packs, a new MHS builder tutorial (Rob, your RICE tutorials come to mind), sound card levels, maybe talk more about the various cards available from TCSS and breakdown their features. Just a few thoughts. Have you considered a panel of smiths in a Skype or google hangouts session similar to what TPLA hosts?

Yorginsnarff
12-18-2014, 05:15 AM
The Chassis idea would be amazing with the acrylics X3

mvanwalks421
12-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Cree vs Luxeon

Madcow
12-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Great ideas so far!
I hear "Crystal Chassis" a lot, so I may plan out something using the TCSS disks etc.

I'm not sure I would do a vid on building Lithium Ion packs. I do my own from time to time. But with the risks involved I would hate to be misunderstood, or give incomplete info leading to someone's mistake. Plus- I know there are some tutorials out there already.

Sound cards - check.

I also plan to do something with the momentary tactile switches.

cvsickle
12-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Great ideas so far!

I also plan to do something with the momentary tactile switches.

I realize this may be proprietary information, but if you could give some tips or tricks to create switches like you do, I would be thrilled. I love your "high on the hilt" switch setups. I also am a huge fan of the light coming from underneath the switch thing you do, too. Again, I know you sell this stuff for a living, and I understand if you want to retain your artistic secrets.

JakeSoft
12-18-2014, 10:57 AM
How about something comparing the various blade styles that TCSS offers (Corbin-style, Trans-white, etc.)? I watched and enjoyed your blade durability test video. I'd like to see a more in depth comparison of the blade styles. Maybe it could be tied in with blade construction techniques for those who want to roll their own using materials that TCSS offers.

Ty_Bomber
12-18-2014, 12:09 PM
The blade idea is really good. In regards to mad cow style switches, the way Rob does them can be difficult. Rob, maybe you should cover a sililar technique using the 3d printed switch rings Tim sells.

Madcow
12-18-2014, 02:25 PM
I realize this may be proprietary information, but if you could give some tips or tricks to create switches like you do, I would be thrilled. I love your "high on the hilt" switch setups. I also am a huge fan of the light coming from underneath the switch thing you do, too. Again, I know you sell this stuff for a living, and I understand if you want to retain your artistic secrets.

You are half right. Whenever I get asked this I try to respond the same way... I do not teach that technique for two reasons:
1. It sets my sabers apart, and this is my living
2. It's a difficult technique, and easy to get wrong, not lining up, damaging the LED/optics/threads... I screwed up a few times learning how to do it. SO I do not want others trouble with the process to reflect badly on my work.

Best advice is to budget time and $$$ in order to experiment and find what works for you.

The blade idea is really good. In regards to mad cow style switches, the way Rob does them can be difficult. Rob, maybe you should cover a sililar technique using the 3d printed switch rings Tim sells.

That is the plan for Jan or Feb.

setelf3of5
12-19-2014, 11:46 AM
I would really like to see that vid in Jan or Feb. I really like the quick response they give. Please keep us updated on that one.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-19-2014, 01:04 PM

A modified version of Rob's switches (essentially what Ty_Bomber mentioned) can be seen if you look through my Apex saber - I included a shot of the switches and ring set up. I will echo what Rob said, his (Madcow's) way is EXTREMELY difficult to do - I know exactly what's involved, and it's definitely not fun. ;)

DarthRevanIsImmortal
12-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Building a chassis with the TCCS system.

Robust Stardust
12-19-2014, 04:20 PM
First of all, many thanks Madcow for the very helpful video series! Most informative and well made.

I will echo Ty_bomber, a video on Li-ion safety and best practices would be very useful. You could also talk about how you chose the right battery in your own builds, the 3.7v PC/CF hack vs. 7.4v, mAh, size, etc.

For the new comers, the very lethal amperage of the Li-ion battery packs and saber circuitry (using a PC 3.5 or the like) makes one awfully nervous! Knowing how a master saber smith wisely uses and chooses Li-ion batteries would be really helpful.

Thanks! :)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-19-2014, 05:13 PM
These days, with the premade packs that are offered in the store, making your own is not really necessary, as all of the popular configurations are stocked in the store.

Regarding which one to choose, usually it depends on the space available in the design, and whether or not the Smith in question is willing to do the "PC/CF hack", and accept the sacrifices that comes with doing that.

The mAh, is just a gauge of how long of a runtime the pack in question should give you.

Robust Stardust
12-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the insight, FJK, good to know! I should have clarified, I was more curious on Madcow's safety and best practices for Li-ion battery packs from TCSS, rather than making your own packs. Just a suggestion for Rob, since he makes such instructional and concise videos :)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the insight, FJK, good to know! I should have clarified, I was more curious on Madcow's safety and best practices for Li-ion battery packs from TCSS, rather than making your own packs. Just a suggestion for Rob, since he makes such instructional and concise videos :)

I'm still not following you. There is really nothing to battery packs, you plug them into a charger, or have them PROPERLY connected to a recharge port, and charge them that way. You don't put them near heat for any period of time, and you'll be good.

Robust Stardust
12-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Yeah, okay, perhaps I'm overcomplicating Li-ion batteries. I'll definitely keep this in mind, thanks again for the info, FJK!

Martyn
12-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Building a chassis with the TCCS system.

Perhaps also showing the best way to route wires past your speaker (if you have a recharge port in your pommel or wish to have an illuminated pommel)?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-21-2014, 08:47 PM
Perhaps also showing the best way to route wires past your speaker (if you have a recharge port in your pommel or wish to have an illuminated pommel)?

I know this had been covered in at least one of Jay-Gon's saber build logs.

Jay-gon Jinn
12-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Yeah, wish I could remember which one, though. ;P

Martyn
12-22-2014, 01:04 AM
Yeah, wish I could remember which one, though. ;P

There is that... :)

I just thought it could be a part of any potential chassis building video, for those who would like to know the best way to route wires past full diameter parts you wouldn't like a hole in (such as a speaker.)

Jay-gon Jinn
12-22-2014, 10:30 AM
I found which saber of mine it was, but three is not build topic for it here, it's at FX-sabers (Jay-gon Jinn's Brass Saber 21 (http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=23631.15)). The difficulty I see in doing an instructional video for chassis is that each chassis is specific to the saber for which it is being built. however, if anyone could put one together showing a basic chassis, it would be Madcow. ;)

Martyn
12-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks Jay! I agree, Rob would certainly be great at communicating that concept. I know how I would do it [and have done it] but I'd love to see how others would solve it.

Madcow
12-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Great discussion everyone.
I will refer back to this thread when I prep new videos. I have only done a few sabers with recharge ports in the pommel requiring creative wire routing. But I do know a couple tricks I could share. I may couple that with a chassis disc vid. Really it's not that hard to make a wire channel in the speaker holder with a dremmel. Use small amounts of grease to let wires slip through... actually there are probably several good ways to do it - that might make a great new thread.

*EDIT that is a great thread you linked with your saber and lots of progress pics Jay!

Jay-gon Jinn
12-22-2014, 09:17 PM
There was a time when I did topics like that for every saber I built, but it got to be too time consuming to take all of those pictures and write the updates...it really slowed down the production process, so to speak. :P

Bark
12-29-2014, 07:48 AM

I second the chassis options video. Granted the design is unique for each, but a little inspiration for my first build is welcomed.

Wickedreamz
01-23-2015, 06:23 AM

Would love to see a video on a PVC Chassis or the chassis disk sold in the store

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Would love to see a video on a PVC Chassis or the chassis disk sold in the store

The chassis disks sold in the store are fairly self explanatory. Madcow isn't going to be doing a vid on his PVC chassis - sorry.

Viper138
01-24-2015, 11:45 PM
I'd love to see anything from switches to wiring accent LED's for crystal chambers.Even chassis basic design considerations and how you brainstorm the ideas that you come up with when you design your sabers would be so awesome. Again,most of us can't say it enough that it's awesome that you take the time to show us your tricks of the trade,so I personally will take all the help I can get and won't pitch a fit.

Ulic Ramirez
03-11-2015, 02:07 AM
Curved Sabers.

Seeing that Madcow has built so many of them (which are all gorgeous), I would love to see a video with techniques and suggestions on fabricating curved hilts. As well as where to find good pre-made curved metal parts.

Thanks for the awesome videos, and especially for taking the time to make all of us your apprentices.

Madcow
03-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Curved Sabers.

Seeing that Madcow has built so many of them (which are all gorgeous), I would love to see a video with techniques and suggestions on fabricating curved hilts. As well as where to find good pre-made curved metal parts.

Thanks for the awesome videos, and especially for taking the time to make all of us your apprentices.

Great idea!
But that one may take awhile. I do have some ideas in the works to show/help... but it will not happen soon.

Star Bird
03-19-2015, 09:03 PM
How about something comparing the various blade styles that TCSS offers (Corbin-style, Trans-white, etc.)? I watched and enjoyed your blade durability test video. I'd like to see a more in depth comparison of the blade styles. Maybe it could be tied in with blade construction techniques for those who want to roll their own using materials that TCSS offers.

I second this but mostly for the blade construction. I'd like to know how to make super bright blades myself.

JaksonFright
03-28-2015, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a video on how to wire a PEx to a NBv2 for FoC.

obi2kenobi14
03-30-2015, 04:34 PM
you should do a video on wiring up the led,battery and resistor.

Madcow
03-31-2015, 12:56 PM
you should do a video on wiring up the led,battery and resistor.

Much of that is covered in this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdjX5Il3SnI

obi2kenobi14
03-31-2015, 03:58 PM
thank you rob!

obi2kenobi14
04-01-2015, 04:16 PM
have you done one on resistor values?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-01-2015, 04:20 PM
have you done one on resistor values?

There are tutorial posts that cover that.

Bark
04-02-2015, 07:39 AM
R.I.C.E. setup, including what you need to do on your desktop computer.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-02-2015, 07:48 AM

Rob had already done a video covering that.

Madcow
04-02-2015, 08:33 AM

There's this:
https://youtu.be/9W0mg3GoJyo

Does that help?

Bark
04-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Well, I'll be...thanks!

cvsickle
04-08-2015, 09:18 AM
Would an etching video be a possibility? Whatever your choice method is.

Some etching can be dangerous and it would be cool to have a go to video to see how a pro does it safely.

Madcow
04-08-2015, 02:51 PM

Some etching can be dangerous and it would be cool to have a go to video to see how a pro does it safely.

I'm not sure I want to do that at this point, dangerous chemicals and all. I've combined methods from goodmans tutorial on fx-sabers, and great tutorial on RPF.

Contrasteve
05-09-2015, 05:50 PM

I agree , etching...but I will try to find ypour tutorial on fx , but a vid (with a few disclaimers at the beginning ,etc.) would be nice.

Johannes Huber
05-10-2015, 08:44 AM
I know this might be a little vague but maybe a video going into the preplanning and design iteration stage of how you approach saber design. As an production artist, I'm used to thumbnails, iterative sketches etc and going from there but I know that there are many was to approach it and it would be fascinating to see your approach and how you plan in the things that lead to the sheer beauty and remarkable toughness of your work

Bark
05-13-2015, 06:06 AM
Has this one been done? Whether it's because the completed blades are out-of-stock or it's because one wants to build EVERYTHING from the ground up:

What parts are needed, how to assemble a completed blade, and what options one has when assembling a completed blade.

JaksonFright
05-13-2015, 06:04 PM
Would it be possible to provide a video on how to properly apply powder coating for the DIY crowd? Another idea for a video I would like to see is how to install a hidden recharge port in the hilt that would not require a kill key protruding from the surface of the hilt. I saw you do this with your awesome Coran Horn saber run! Thanks!

Star Bird
05-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Has this one been done? Whether it's because the completed blades are out-of-stock or it's because one wants to build EVERYTHING from the ground up:

What parts are needed, how to assemble a completed blade, and what options one has when assembling a completed blade.

I would appreciate a video on this too.

Mark1972
05-13-2015, 08:50 PM

And I would like to see how to determine the blade length of it.

Quixotic Jedi
05-20-2015, 01:01 PM
I'd like to add my vote for a video about blade building techniques and some kind of review of the different materials and how they look once assembled and lit up.

I've searched around for videos about this and they are very lacking. I understand the basics of blade construction, and the different diffusion methids, but when it comes to getting a full blade versus a cored effect blade, and the whole mirrored tip and non- mirrored tip there's nothing I've seen that shows any comparrison between the different methods.

Wickedreamz
05-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Can a video be done on the wiring of the PRIZM board? and the tuning of each color change?

Madcow
05-29-2015, 08:59 AM
Can a video be done on the wiring of the PRIZM board? and the tuning of each color change?

The RICE for PRIZM would be almost identical to this:
https://youtu.be/9W0mg3GoJyo

That's the best way to set your colour profiles.

methos2523
08-29-2015, 09:08 AM
loads of great videos so far, but i'd love to see a video explaining how to wire up two LED's to a single board for creating a double bladed saber.

there seems to be so many different techniques and ideas that people list on how to do it, but i can't find a single video going through the process and explaining what to do and why... so it's something i'd love to see explained in this video series

Ty_Bomber
08-29-2015, 11:09 AM
How about handy tools and how to use them for wiring? Analog and digital multimeter use? I know FJK covered ohms law, but something on the TCSS YouTube channel wouldn't go unappreciated, especially among the newcomers to the hobby.

Miraluka
08-29-2015, 09:21 PM
loads of great videos so far, but i'd love to see a video explaining how to wire up two LED's to a single board for creating a double bladed saber.

there seems to be so many different techniques and ideas that people list on how to do it, but i can't find a single video going through the process and explaining what to do and why... so it's something i'd love to see explained in this video series

I think people often use 2 separate boards for a double blade, but if not, it'd be like wiring a multi die LED except the LEDs would be in different places.

Madcow
09-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Great ideas peeps.

I'm working on a vid for the basics of colour mixing with resistors. What tricks have you found that would help newbs?

Cire Yeldarb
09-01-2015, 03:09 PM
I'm working on a vid for the basics of colour mixing with resistors. What tricks have you found that would help newbs?

Using Potentiometers to fine-tune color choices

MontyBMan
09-01-2015, 04:35 PM
And I would like to see how to determine the blade length of it.

I determined the length of my blade using my height. I oringally had a 36" blade but shortened it because I'm only 5'10" to 32". It helps a lot. handle length has a lot to do with it as well i think. My lightsaber hilt is only 11" long which makes it on the short side of normal so it had trouble triggering swing sounds on the PC v3.5 until i shortened the blade. If you search for sword length be height you can find some tables from places that make custom swords. Mine was from a Wushu (Tai Chi) sword maker.

Madcow
09-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Using Potentiometers to fine-tune color choices

Do you measure impedance after you have it dialed in and then replace the pot with resistors?

Cire Yeldarb
09-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Do you measure impedance after you have it dialed in and then replace the pot with resistors?

Well I've only had the opportunity to do it once so far, but yeah thats the general idea! Otherwise there's the chance the pots could accidentally turn while in the hilt and mess up the tuned-in colors

Darth Nurse
09-21-2015, 02:42 PM
Fantastic videos so far!

I think a video on wiring in odd hilt configurations such as hilts that are made from ribbed extensions and chokes, etc... It would really show folks how little room they may have and what can be done to make up for it.

I also vote for a crustal chamber video and one for wiring beyond the speaker for a charge port in the pommel.

Heck, maybe even one discussing the pros and cons of different speaker positions and set ups.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-21-2015, 02:46 PM
A basic Crystal Chamber video was done. ;)

Grimlock84
09-21-2015, 03:39 PM
How about mounting a button/accent led through threaded sections... I am trying to figure this out right now and I'm slightly apprehensive about drilling through threads!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-21-2015, 04:23 PM
It isn't normally recommended to drill through thread, unless you are very experienced and really know what you are doing, OR you are willing to replace a couple of parts.

Grimlock84
09-21-2015, 05:42 PM
I may go for it and document the process win or lose!

Quixotic Jedi
09-24-2015, 07:14 PM
How about mounting a button/accent led through threaded sections... I am trying to figure this out right now and I'm slightly apprehensive about drilling through threads!

Drilling through threads is ill advised, there is way too much tear out. A better way to make a hole in a threaded area would be with an end mill, but you would need to do that in a milling machine.

One bit of advice if you do try this is if you are making the hole in an area where two parts are threaded together, make your hole with the parts already threaded together, it makes cleaning them up a bit easier.

Tapping a hole in a threaded area would be something I wouldn't even attempt.

Miraluka
09-26-2015, 12:00 AM
Tapping a hole in a threaded area would be something I wouldn't even attempt.

Although I never recommend my reckless ways to other people, I have a hilt with 4 threaded holes going through the pommel threads and it still screws on/off. It can work although I'm not keen to tempt fate again.
Besides, those were just 8/32 holes, I wouldn't try to put a switch in the threads and still hope for them to function.

Grimlock84
09-26-2015, 12:25 AM
I may be using a 8/32 to hold on a piece of wood near the emitter and it may go through the threads... I will know better once I finish the wooden addition.

Gildarts
09-27-2015, 11:47 AM

Don't know if you still need this, but there are videos on YouTube that cover "safe" etching. I say "safe" because it looks fairly safe, but I'm no expert and have not had the chance to try this myslef. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Can be done with water that is highly saturate with salt(non-iodized) and a 9V battery.
https://youtu.be/bV-PItEcLXY

and a slightly different method shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL93IIThmqm8bYK_UDMEHvVqG-5nnITUaL

I would not dump the entire piece in like the second link will show, but I would take note of how to make a stencil for your design then follow what the person in the first link shows.

seym56
09-28-2015, 04:07 PM
I also would like a video on making a Crystal Chamber using parts from TCSS. The main thing I would like though is a video on the NB v2 MWS Header and Wiring Harness from the store. I am planning on getting one when I order my NB and I haven't found a tutorial on it.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-28-2015, 04:24 PM
The Crystal Chamber video was done. The wiring harness is kinda self explanatory, using the diagram in the manual, you can easily figure out which JST connector goes where. (LED, battery, switch, speaker)

DarthSkummelavsky
10-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Are there any videos or tutorials on adding/incorperating accent LEDs to a build?

Darth Nurse
10-06-2015, 02:02 PM
There could always be more crystal chamber videos. Tons of ways to skin that cat.

A video for folks wanting to work with aluminum black for weathering would be cool.

Darth Nurse
10-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Well I've only had the opportunity to do it once so far, but yeah thats the general idea! Otherwise there's the chance the pots could accidentally turn while in the hilt and mess up the tuned-in colors

There are very small pots available that require a small screwdriver to turn. They are used frequently inside guitar pedals. They would fit well and have very little chance of moving.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-06-2015, 05:00 PM
There could always be more crystal chamber videos. Tons of ways to skin that cat.

That's exactly why you got the lecture when I did that video. ;)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-06-2015, 05:01 PM
There are very small pots available that require a small screwdriver to turn. They are used frequently inside guitar pedals. They would fit well and have very little chance of moving.

Older CF's use to have a tiny pot for volume control, but it was scrapped in later versions due to reliability issues.

rlobrecht
10-14-2015, 10:44 AM
How about a video comparing the features of the various sound cards?

ColdVizjerei
10-14-2015, 11:08 AM
you can find all the differences and comparisons between the PlecterLabs boards here:
http://plecterlabs.com/Media/Doc/CompareBoards/plecter_boards.php

rlobrecht
10-15-2015, 05:45 AM
you can find all the differences and comparisons between the PlecterLabs boards here:
http://plecterlabs.com/Media/Doc/CompareBoards/plecter_boards.php

Thanks.

Darth Nurse
10-15-2015, 07:50 AM
Are there any videos on converting a Graflex with the conversion kit? It would be neat to do a video on using the TCSS parts to make a killer old-school saber.

Also one covering how to wire both a recharge port (or switch, or RICE port) AND speaker in the pommel. There is a grill for it, so there has to be a good way to do it.

BartElroy
10-16-2015, 02:09 AM
The Crystal Chamber video was done. The wiring harness is kinda self explanatory, using the diagram in the manual, you can easily figure out which JST connector goes where. (LED, battery, switch, speaker)

Where's the crystal chamber video. I've looked for it and can't find it.

ColdVizjerei
10-16-2015, 05:31 AM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?17408-Video-How-to-do-a-basic-crystal-chamber

It was under the Informational and Tutorial Videos section.

DarthRevanIsImmortal
12-28-2015, 06:28 PM
Sanding a Powder Coated piece would be a good idea for a video.

Cha-Li Obedi
12-28-2015, 07:24 PM
I second the sanding of a Powder Coated piece

CET
12-28-2015, 10:39 PM
Is like a video on the ways to wire a charge port. Illuminated vs non illuminated switches. Kill key boot vs non kill key. Etc.

maggard08@gmail.com
01-04-2016, 09:24 PM
The crystal chamber would be awesome! Or even light up switches and how you wire them.

Count Voodoo
01-08-2016, 08:41 AM
The LED soldering video was great. Perhaps a follow up with tips on soldering resistors to them with lens and heat sink assembly tips to help greenhorns like myself make a nice neat connection. you could list some adhesives and any various tips to help make it a clean build.

CET
01-08-2016, 11:37 AM
The crystal chamber would be awesome! Or even light up switches and how you wire them.

There is a crystal chamber video https://youtu.be/ORH7FRFVBLg

Darth Nurse
02-23-2016, 05:28 AM
Wiring a color changing setup with a crustal chamber (or other LEDs) to mimic blade color. There are a couple of ways to do this, so discussing each would be a good video.

Wickedreamz
04-01-2016, 10:05 PM
SMD bargraph for a CF or PC

DarthSkummelavsky
05-20-2016, 03:03 PM
As an alternative to grease, I've seen electricians use cheap dish soap as their lubricant to pass wires through a section of conduit. As a network engineer and electronic tech creative wire routing can impose some challenges. Really small tie wraps and/or heatshrink can be your friend as well.

Star Bird
05-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Building a detachable chassis like this :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0jc2-tO0HY

Madcow
05-24-2016, 02:01 PM
Building a detachable chassis like this :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0jc2-tO0HY

Thanks for your interest.
I probably would not do a video on that style. It's problematic for a couple reasons which is why I never developed that style for sale. I just use it on my personal saber. The ball catch is very tricky to dial in. And the sound board does not like the LED disconnecting when there is current. That is why I have to remember to only remove the chassis when on a sound bank that has no current going to the LED.

FenixFire
05-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Not sure how my Son missed that one, but that is cool. I could see some alternatives to the ball catch that might be easier to dial in, but not as cost effective. Have the connectors hold up well over time? Thinking about simple spring contacts from dissecting some medical connectors...they would be gold plated and fit a SW motif.

jbkuma
05-30-2016, 08:35 AM
Madcow, you are the Bob Ross of saber building. I mean that in the most complimentary way possible. Your videos are some of the best I've seen for any sort of instructional/educational topic. I've learned a lot watching these videos, and after decades of finding soldering frustration watching your technique helpful tips has helped me immensely.

The one major gap seems to be blade related topics. There are videos elsewhere, but there aren't any associated with the TCSS channel.

Madcow
06-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Madcow, you are the Bob Ross of saber building. I mean that in the most complimentary way possible. Your videos are some of the best I've seen for any sort of instructional/educational topic. I've learned a lot watching these videos, and after decades of finding soldering frustration watching your technique helpful tips has helped me immensely.

The one major gap seems to be blade related topics. There are videos elsewhere, but there aren't any associated with the TCSS channel.

Thanks!
I have loose plans for at least one blade explanation vid. All in time.

girot
07-28-2016, 02:48 PM
an in depth tutorial on the CF8 accent programmablity (i.e. blade lockup feature)

overview of new trident feature

Madcow
07-28-2016, 03:38 PM
an in depth tutorial on the CF8 accent programmablity (i.e. blade lockup feature)

overview of new trident feature

Good ideas - thanks

hutch009
05-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Now that the Nano Biscotte v4 is out how about an updated video with a full saber build along with a Power Xtender?

themadscientist
05-28-2017, 10:01 PM
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, basics of installing rumble motors would be great. I want to do one of those on the build after this next one. Thanks for all the ones you have already made. I don't know that I would have started ripping my stunt sabers apart to pimp them out without your great thorough and accessible instructional videos and certainly not without the great parts source of the CSS!

Jenny
05-28-2017, 11:40 PM
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, basics of installing rumble motors would be great.

Not just how, but why -- why would someone want to turn their lightsaber into a vibrator?

Also, in your video about the PLI, you say there are "hundreds" of uses for it, but I'm having a failure of imagination. Could you show a couple?

themadscientist
05-29-2017, 02:11 AM
Well, "romantic" love is discouraged by the code, but, uh, let's not explore that any further. ;)

Seriously, though, lightsabers are supposed to be very powerful so in addition to a meaty hum I want the hilt to shake slightly with the barely contained power of my trusty kyber crystal.

Madcow
05-29-2017, 03:11 PM
Now that the Nano Biscotte v4 is out how about an updated video with a full saber build along with a Power Xtender?

Definitely planning this already

Madcow
05-29-2017, 03:12 PM
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, basics of installing rumble motors would be great. I want to do one of those on the build after this next one. Thanks for all the ones you have already made. I don't know that I would have started ripping my stunt sabers apart to pimp them out without your great thorough and accessible instructional videos and certainly not without the great parts source of the CSS!

Possibly, I'll add it to the list. You can also get some good feedback vibration from the 2w speaker.

Tom Tilmon
07-08-2017, 08:03 AM
smaller tactile switch installs up forward so we can make a locking chassis w/crystal chamber without the saber being a mile long. like installing the small button tactile switches, the ball ones.

Tom

Brent
07-08-2017, 06:34 PM
I'd like to see a video build on a 1.15 chassis. I'd really love to see one fitting the Prizm into the MHS ribbed extension v-grooved section (if it is even possible).

rlobrecht
07-10-2017, 09:06 AM
smaller tactile switch installs up forward so we can make a locking chassis w/crystal chamber without the saber being a mile long. like installing the small button tactile switches, the ball ones.

There is one. Check it out here (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?17384-Video-How-to-do-quot-Madcow-esque-quot-style-switches).

Meatsweats
07-10-2017, 04:34 PM
Building a neopixel blade.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Building a neopixel blade.

The "standards" are still being worked on.

Tom Tilmon
07-10-2017, 11:04 PM
There is one. Check it out here (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?17384-Video-How-to-do-quot-Madcow-esque-quot-style-switches).

Thank you, I had seen FJK's video. I'm guessing I'm on a mission to drill some wire routes. I am no longer afraid to put switches through threads on MHS, I've done that. I'm trying to shorten my sabers now, to get them smaller. Mako was too long for practical purposes. TCSS doesn't really have some of the components I need to shorten my designs, so I have to come up with new switch solutions. I'm getting better.

Tom

Darth Nurse
07-11-2017, 09:30 AM
The "standards" are still being worked on.

I doubt there will be a true "standard" for some time (at least until a larger company like VV starts making a readily available blade). Too many options with connectors and diffusion. I think if someone has the ability to show a basic build of a Adafruit Neopixel strip blade with whatever connector and diffusion choice, it may go a long way in helping folks get started.

Darth Nurse
07-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Thank you, I had seen FJK's video. I'm guessing I'm on a mission to drill some wire routes. I am no longer afraid to put switches through threads on MHS, I've done that. I'm trying to shorten my sabers now, to get them smaller. Mako was too long for practical purposes. TCSS doesn't really have some of the components I need to shorten my designs, so I have to come up with new switch solutions. I'm getting better.

Tom

There are solutions out there where the tactiles are mounted on/in the heat sink of the LED. That's moving things pretty far forward.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-11-2017, 11:22 AM
I doubt there will be a true "standard" for some time (at least until a larger company like VV starts making a readily available blade). Too many options with connectors and diffusion. I think if someone has the ability to show a basic build of a Adafruit Neopixel strip blade with whatever connector and diffusion choice, it may go a long way in helping folks get started.

That's why I said what I said. VV (and others) ARE working on it as we speak. ;)

lovetadraw
07-11-2017, 02:52 PM
While I've done it, a video showing how to mount a recharge port in a pommel and not twist the wires too much and put wire channels in the speaker holder could be good.