PDA

View Full Version : Tri-rebs vs Cree

darkeyedkid
12-16-2014, 12:12 AM
Hey hey. I noticed these new crees since the last time I visited the shop and they seem to perform a bit better than the standard rebels. But how might those with experience with these crees say they hold up against the tri-reb? Let's say a royal blue cree versus a royal blue tri reb wired in parallel? At least as far as brightness goes?

Ty_Bomber
12-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Crees are brighter, hence the transition.

Silver Serpent
12-16-2014, 07:57 AM
On a single die basis, the Crees are brighter. Comparing a Tri-Rebel to a single die Cree? The Tri-Rebel will *probably* win in terms of brightness. You can overdrive the Crees a lot on the new pads, so that might not be true if overdriving is involved.

Multi-die Crees are on the way. Patience is a virtue.

JakeSoft
12-16-2014, 09:16 AM
On a single die basis, the Crees are brighter. Comparing a Tri-Rebel to a single die Cree? The Tri-Rebel will *probably* win in terms of brightness. You can overdrive the Crees a lot on the new pads, so that might not be true if overdriving is involved.

Multi-die Crees are on the way. Patience is a virtue.

If single die brightness of these new Crees actually stacks up to a Tri-rebel then I might have to buy a bucket load of the new Tri-crees when they become available to upgrade all of my sabers! I'm looking forward to some pics and videos as people start putting these new parts into service.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Tri Crees aren't "new", per se, they have been around for a little while, it's just that their use wasn't that commonly known. It'll be the first time they will be carried in the store. Many Sabersmiths have known about, and currently use them. I've played with one, and will be using them for my next "bunch" of sabers.

JakeSoft
12-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Tri Crees aren't "new", per se, they have been around for a little while, it's just that their use wasn't that commonly known. It'll be the first time they will be carried in the store. Many Sabersmiths have known about, and currently use them. I've played with one, and will be using them for my next "bunch" of sabers.

True enough. I've looked at them elsewhere, but never got around to ordering one for experimentation. It'll be nice to have a reliable and trusted source for XP-E2 LEDs right here at TCSS.

setelf3of5
12-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Will we also move to tri-cree's?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Will we also move to tri-cree's?

As I've said elsewhere, it is in the works.

setelf3of5
12-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Thanks FJK, I hadn't caught up on all my previous mail yesterday. I responded here first, and found your responce to that elsewhere after. Thanks for replying here as well. :)

Evol
01-16-2015, 04:47 AM
I heard that the brightest you can get is the Tri CREE XPE-2s :)

Thanantos
02-26-2015, 10:55 PM
So based on what I have been reading, the Tri Cree seems like the top of the line (not sure if that is an appropriate description) for brightness and functionality? If so, of the ones depicted in the store (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/BlueBlueWhite-Cree-XP-E2-CopperNova-P1013.aspx), which is the recommended for that eye catching royal or cerulean blue?

I think the components I have spent the most time trying to figure out are which LED and sound board to use and I'm still not sure I have any better handle on it. The Petit Crouton and the Prizm Module look basically the same to me. What am I not seeing?

"Mongo good at turn light switch on and off":)

Silver Serpent
02-27-2015, 05:43 AM
The Petit Crouton has an LED driver for LED channel 1 and runs on a 7.4v li-ion pack. The Prizm has no LED driver, and runs on a single 3.7v li-ion battery.

Those are the big differences.

Thanantos
03-01-2015, 08:21 PM
I have read quite a bit about color mixing, but I think I missed where the specs talk about this. Did I miss the thread somewhere?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
03-01-2015, 08:30 PM
I have read quite a bit about color mixing, but I think I missed where the specs talk about this. Did I miss the thread somewhere?

Huh? There are many threads about color mixing. I'm not sure what you mean by "the specs talking about this". If you use a tri- whatever and the appropriate board, you can have color mixing, the manual for the various boards go over the specifics.

Thanantos
03-04-2015, 11:04 PM
So, poorly phrased question on my part. I think what I was trying to ask was which sound module is the best (versatility, features, color mixing, etc.). Which is also probably like asking which is the best car manufacturer, of course it depends on what you want.

After I had posted the original question, I was able to stumble on a key word search that led me to Erv's CF threads. So many choices from great people here and there with good products and great reviews. So my questions are really about products and which direction to go, but also trying to be respectful at the same time to Tim's business, which led to the vague question. So far I am definitely buying at least 80% of what I need for my build from TSSS since it looks the best to me and fits with my build ideas.

However, the knuckle dragger that I am in electronics, I am finding the learning curve steep re the technical product details to make the informed decision. I am also not looking for someone to "make the decision for me", just to better understand so I can decide and make an "informed decision". I guess that is the noob process. I hope that makes more sense and apologies for any faux pas. I am just grateful for the feedback and assistance I have already received here.

The Yin
03-04-2015, 11:50 PM
It seems the overwhelming response is that Cree leds are better, hands down.
I'm thinking of upgrading my sound board sabers to Crees (1 PC, 2 NB). But, just out of curiosity, has anyone done a side by side comparison? And if so, can you post pics?
It'll just be nice to see the difference between the Cree and rebels so I can convince myself to do this upgrade. :)

Thanantos
03-07-2015, 09:55 PM
Awesome, thank you for the feedback!