PDA

View Full Version : Cutting stainless 4-40 all thread

hapki
12-15-2014, 06:09 PM
How do you cut the stainless 4-40 all thread without ruining the thread? I've tried several things, including the rotary tool, but I always seem to render the thread useless.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-15-2014, 06:13 PM
How do you cut the stainless 4-40 all thread without ruining the thread? I've tried several things, including the rotary tool, but I always seem to render the thread useless.

You have to cut them very carefully and clean the burrs from the end you cut. You may have to clean the threads to do that.

hapki
12-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks.

JediCarpet
12-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Put a spare nut or, if you have it, the appropriate die for the thread on the rod, then force it off the end that you cut. That should "re-cut" the threading properly by using the existing thread as a guide. Note that if you use a softer material nut compared to the rod (ie a 304 SS nut vs 430 SS rod) you'll just damage the nut. And be careful for the burrs, as FJK mentioned. They can really bugger up the threading process when using taps and dies.

Might also need to take a grinding tool to the end of the rod on a 30ish degree angle as well to make it easier for a nut to screw onto it. Some machine screws are made that way if you need an example of what I'm talking about.