PDA

View Full Version : Solid Polycarbonate Tube Blade

DopeChicken
12-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Has anyone ever tried this? I found this after googling "Polycarbonate Rod".

http://www.amazon.com/Polycarbonate-Round-Transparent-Standard-Tolerance/dp/B00CPRCPFO

The outer diameter is 1". It seems to me that a 100% translucent rod of polycarbonate (not that anything is "100%" but for the sake of argument) would function like a fiber optic camera/light. All, or most, of the light would travel directly along the tube and it would be brightest at the tip. However, if you were to sand down the entire blade, and possibly even try to taper your sanding toward the end (say, by sanding with a force of like 10% of your maximum, then 20, 30 toward the end where you would be sanding the most) then give the entire blade another sanding to make it homogenous. At the very tip you could obviously sand more and taper it to a rounded or bullet shaped tip.

Just wondered if this has ever been attempted. I think I am going to try it next month when I have the time. Unless someone comes on here and says "No dude, it's been tried and doesn't work for ... reason(s)"

Silver Serpent
12-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Weight would be my biggest concern. A solid polycarbonate rod would be a LOT heavier to swing around than the tubes we normally use. It would probably make a good blade for a saber cane.

DopeChicken
12-14-2014, 03:41 PM
That's true. I didn't even think of that. Knowing how much heavier a thick walled PC tube is vs. the thin walled, a solid rod would probably be pretty heavy.