PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Rebel Wiring?

Yorginsnarff
12-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Hello, all!
Ok, so I have a wiring diagram for a Tri-Rebel, GGW.
Is this correct?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-11-2014, 06:58 PM
That is wrong. You have it wired as a serial connection.

Yorginsnarff
12-11-2014, 06:59 PM
is that so?
How would I go about fixing this issue?
Thanks for the quick reply!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-11-2014, 07:04 PM
is that so?
How would I go about fixing this issue?
Thanks for the quick reply!

Each die needs its own (+) and (-) wire (and resistor) going straight to wherever you are wiring it to.

Yorginsnarff
12-11-2014, 07:07 PM
ok! Is there like a tried and true diagram that you can direct me to, please?
If not, I will utilize your advice to the best of my abilities.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Try drawing it for yourself. Or you can search around. I've been giving this same lecture about a dozen times over the last week. You could also check the manual.

Wickedreamz
01-16-2015, 07:40 AM
That is wrong. You have it wired as a serial connection.

Please correct me if im wrong but I thought the wiring presented is set up in parallel. If not the custom saber shop youtube vid for wiring multi die leds is wrong https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CWIKMi-63c.

I was under the impression that series was wired like the pics below.

Bark
01-16-2015, 08:14 AM
The wiring for FOC is fine.

For the other two dies, what about a serial connection? It's simpler considering the two dies are both green and saves a little space too. It would go like this:

1. Battery+ to resistor
2. resistor to LED1+
3. LED1- to LED2+
4. LED2- to Battery-

Connection 3 is a simple bridge on the LED pad. You connect the middle two pads in between the two green dies.

Connecting it via serial means you need to redo the resistor calculation for the two green dies. (The white FOC die will stay unaffected.) The calculator is here: http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

The green die's specs are here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Luxeon-Rebel-Star-P523.aspx
Green 161lm @ 700mA 3.4v - Run at 1000mA
Diode Forward Voltage = 3.4v
Diode Forward Current = 1000mA
Number in array = 2

The only variable we don't know if the voltage of your battery. For example, if it is 7.4, the calculator will tell you to use a 1 ohm resistor:

each 1 ohm resistor dissipates 1000 mW
the wizard says the color code for 1 is brown black gold
the wizard thinks the power dissipated in your resistors is a concern --- (I had this too, but someone else here said it's fine. For me though, I just used this setup for testing. I will ultimately wire a Petit Crouton, and resistors are not needed for the main dies in that setup.)
together, all resistors dissipate 1000 mW
together, the diodes dissipate 6800 mW
total power dissipated by the array is 7800 mW
the array draws current of 1000 mA from the source.

cvsickle
01-16-2015, 11:44 AM
Well, your picture says it's wired to a nano biscotte, so a series setup isnt possible given the nanos voltage limitations. You diagram does, indeed have a parallel setup, but it's better practice to use one resistor for each die (like you have the FOC) than to try to use one resistor in line with two parallel dies. I hope this answers your question.

Yorginsnarff
01-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks so much! :D