PDA

View Full Version : My First Saber Double Edge Detachable Durable

Jedi Madoc Mo'gu Red-Moon
12-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Greetings to ALL! :D
yes i know i'm a noob.
yes i realize i have absolutely NO experience creating a saber. but doesn't every enthusiast at some point in their life? and
Yes i have built props weapons and tools before
Thanks to the very helpful work of the many masterful moderators. i have found my way through brief introductions to the various types of electronics and saber building techniques, [which im chugging through slowly with the aid of coffee and tutorial explanations]

Yes i WILL be using this thread to catalog my build.
Yes i realize how ambitious it is to attempt something complicated as a first time, i intend to do it once and do it properly. so Lots of discussion and pre planning across holiday break.

my specified Targets for this build are as follows; these specifications are compulsory due to my living conditions in Rural Australia.

Design- not-fancy, the design will be simply minimal, this will be a tool and not a toy. for very complicated martial arts practice and tricks. inset buttons. [i have a boxfull of top notch red leather wrap for my hilt]
Durability- my design must be STURDY, i intend to Duel hard oak Boken and Staff martial artists at full force. thick PolyC blades. It must be fully liquid and dust resistant. and will definitely be taking a beating from outdoor elements.[i need a discussion with someone on ventilation and waterproofing as well as buttons that wont seize from particles]
Function- no corner cutting. sound must have an independent toggle, twin colors both blades. detachable coupling between double edge. highly reinforced hilt. shock resistant.
I think that covers it all i shall add and edit as i run into new obstacles.

The reason for me posting this Before i have even ordered my parts is i would GREATLY appreciate expert advice to source the right pieces,and advice with temperamental parts that i am otherwise unexperienced with.

my budget is $170-$230 au.
i have a general idea what my costs will be.

Here comes my shopping list:[rough price estimates]

2 thumbscrews
218650 Li-ion batterys + 1 charger
2 thick PolyC blades, caps
2 Petitecrouton V2 [if theres a way to have clashes and no sound i will use only one]
2 rubber button covers. [ugly but practical for rough weather]
2-18inch length aluminium tube
wiring
2 Luxeon [undetermined type]
2 panasonic UV LED
[all equipment + shrink wrap i have at home, including some polyC and aluminum for internal reinforcement and circuit housing]

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-09-2014, 10:14 AM
First, welcome to the Forums!

Yeah, after reading your wish list and your budget, it's not going to happen. Just the shipping fees and import taxes will eat into that budget. A VERY simple single bladed stunt saber (no sound) might be possible, but that's about it for your budget. Saber building isn't a cheap hobby. ;)

12-09-2014, 11:35 AM
First, welcome to the Forums!

Yeah, after reading your wish list and your budget, it's not going to happen. Just the shipping fees and import taxes will eat into that budget. A VERY simple single bladed stunt saber (no sound) might be possible, but that's about it for your budget. Saber building isn't a cheap hobby. ;)

well thanks for clearing that up then... and thanks for the warm welcome. so how much am i actually looking at for my specifications? i can throw more money at it and since the store is down for christmas i have time to save but im no less determined to complete this build.

time to get a decent job and not just volunteering at the soup kitchen.
perhaps if i sourced the hilt and switch parts locally and import the blade and sound card.

im pretty handy with the solder so maybe i can make do. how much wold i be looking at for hardware alone?

besides that i'm also interested in tested and tried reinforcements for the hilt durability.
lets say my new budget is $230.... for now

Silver Serpent
12-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Indeed. If you intend to have it able to split into two sabers, both with sound and light, you'll have a hard time getting *just* the internals for your budget. You'd need to get a pair of scavenged sound boards from a toy saber.

A permanently connected double-bladed saber without sound should be possible, especially if you're willing to use PVC pipes to build the hilt. That budget is really tight. As FJK stated, this isn't a cheap hobby.

The polycarbonate blades are plenty durable. Get the thick-walled version, and you're unlikely to break them. Ever.

12-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Indeed. If you intend to have it able to split into two sabers, both with sound and light, you'll have a hard time getting *just* the internals for your budget. You'd need to get a pair of scavenged sound boards from a toy saber.

A permanently connected double-bladed saber without sound should be possible, especially if you're willing to use PVC pipes to build the hilt. That budget is really tight. As FJK stated, this isn't a cheap hobby.

The polycarbonate blades are plenty durable. Get the thick-walled version, and you're unlikely to break them. Ever.

thanks for that tip. k well lets say i can make some cuts here and there i suppose they don't both need sound and i DO just so happen to have an old toy saber board. so that could work out. usually they're like $15 in the general shop[but i remembered i have one beside my bed in a costume mask i made.mace windu kiddie toy saber]. polycarb blades were what i was looking at, i'm more worried about the connection of the blade to the holder. guess mine would need to be a little extra deep if i'm using cheaper materials.

they dont both need RGB colour but that would be nice. though i intend to use it for party tricks and general duels mostly so i can either double blade against my mate who is a staff martial artist but then i could split it to do a jedi Vs sith blade with my young siblings.

im set on metal hilts, pvc wont do like i said they need to be really durable for the outback. and i suspect it will be very bad balance wise for tricks. so lets say one of the hilts was stock standard silent basic LED and the other half was top notch rgb with nice sound. is that possible around $230? and i eant to say its the hilt that will need the most reinforcement rather than the blade.

p.s: i have experience with applying powdercoats and im armed with a decent workshop at home i dont think home building will be any issue. whether its welding machining soldering polishing cutting enameling or whatever else might spring up on me i think i can do it.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Your best bet is to play with the mhos builder, build the basic hilt that you would need. The price parts are up in the corner, then add in electronics, etc. That is the best way to get an idea of what it will cost you, your "revised" number still seems low for what you want to do.

12-09-2014, 12:11 PM
ive spent the last week using the mhs builder and sorry to say it really hasnt helped and since im not planning to spend $200 plus shipping on plain steel hilt parts alone i think i can safely say the discussion is leaning towards just making a good soundboard RGB setup on a budget. and with any slack id like to get someone who knows what theyre doing program wise to put a good one together.

building the hilt myself will give me and my old man something to bond over so i have no bad jujus around that idea. i live between two ore mining towns, metal isnt a rare or expensive commodity here,

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-09-2014, 12:16 PM
The hilts aren't steel, they're aluminum. I think you will need to scale back your expectations dramatically to fit into your budget.

Silver Serpent
12-09-2014, 12:17 PM
The Nano Biscotte board is $65 USD, before shipping or other fees. It is an excellent board for a beginner to work with. You'll need a switch, speaker, your LED, some kind of power solution. If you want something less expensive, you'll have to scavenge from a toy. You won't be able to build one from scratch for less than that.

12-09-2014, 12:30 PM
The Nano Biscotte board is $65 USD, before shipping or other fees. It is an excellent board for a beginner to work with. You'll need a switch, speaker, your LED, some kind of power solution. If you want something less expensive, you'll have to scavenge from a toy. You won't be able to build one from scratch for less than that.

was exactly what i was thinking of using. i think i can make this work in that case. and i'm confident i can create my own coupling and separator. maybe with a triggered release seems doable in my head. whats the difference between the biscotti 3.5 color extend, and the biscotti v2?, does colour extension mean the circuit is LED dedicated? and wont make sound?

The hilts aren't steel, they're aluminum. I think you will need to scale back your expectations dramatically to fit into your budget.

appologies its 4am for me here but i knew that, misfiring neurons do forgive.

with that in mind then all i need is a recommended power pack and correct RGB LED name. and ill fetch myself a quote for the biscotti blades led and battery components and yes i do want rechargeable and yes i do want the longest lasting charge available, no i don't expect it to be the size of a dime. but there will be alot of room in my hilt. im sure im smart enough to reinfoce the whole thing myself but i was just curious if anyone else has done so in their own custom builds.

just had a ripper idea. i watched a video of darth maul using a black light saber upon further digging LED blacklights are readily available, does anyone think an RGB could produce the same frequency of light? i wouldnt mind buying the LED seperate if i must. would be a fun twist to my mod.

batteries.... i can easily source from the local R/C hobby shop. after i know what i need power wise LED and Circuit wise ill put together the shopping list and set ou on my grand adventure.
[it just so happens i collect crystals too so i might go to some trouble of fancying this up if its gonna be a long time running home build with plenty of TLC. ill post some home builds of semi-related prop creation ive done in the past, just to put you at ease of mind dear moderator that im determined to do this correctly and how sure i am that i'm not at all out of my depth here, although my budget may sound dreamy. ill get through it.

thankyou for all your input so far im very grateful for the budget guidance n_n

Silver Serpent
12-09-2014, 12:40 PM
A single 18650 lithium-ion battery is ideal for powering the NB. It's the most compact, rechargeable, has the proper voltage, and has the best runtime on a single charge.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-09-2014, 01:30 PM
A NB won't give you color changing ability past one color or a second color (example: red/blue or blue/red). For full spectrum color changing you would need something like the Prizm ($115.) which would be half of your budget right there.

12-09-2014, 10:03 PM
A NB won't give you color changing ability past one color or a second color (example: red/blue or blue/red). For full spectrum color changing you would need something like the Prizm ($115.) which would be half of your budget right there.

so the lithium battery will cost me $60 here for two + a charger

if i'm using a prizm which Luxeon star will i require to get full functionality? i'm afraid i really am noob when it comes to LED lighting and how it works.
is there a way to have multicolors without a sound board?

if there's a way to use a toy sound card but still have color changing blade i'm down with that since there isn't a huge star wars cult in my area, i just want my dual blade to flash colors and look cool it doesn't need to have super quality sound. in fact i wont be using sound 90% of the time. i'm not super fussed about clashes.
. seems like the only option. keeping in mind i always had the intention to make sound switches independent to LED switches. if i have to use color inserts i'm fine with that, heck id even throw away all this if i could just have UV but it would be damn nice to have both since UV's are actually extremely small in comparison i don't yet see why i couldn't mount both.

lets say hypothetically i have two V2 PC's one per blade. my colours were red and green and inside there was also a UV LED with a dedicated switch. thats my budget done with blades included. both have the suggested Li-ion 18650.
possible/unpossible?

i think i could live with that.

12-10-2014, 08:36 AM
so if i order the biscotti. it holds two font presets and i can switch the color using those fonts?

so which luxeon rebel will i need to do that with?

JakeSoft
12-10-2014, 08:37 AM
If your budget is really tight and you don't care about sound quality, you could try to see if you can get an Ultracheap sound board (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?16272-Ultracheap-Soundboard). The board already has separate buttons for sound and LED control. You might be able to rig something if you don't mind a lot of hacking, which I'm starting to think you don't.

The Prizm or NB borads will be waaaaay better in just about every way, though. If you can afford it, get one of those.

12-10-2014, 08:43 AM
thanks for that link jake it was pleasantly informative. ill post an image of the sound board i have as soon as i rip it out of this cosplay mech-man mask i have. it seems it should do the trick but atm im looking at ordering two biscotti for the sake of doing it right however. if what youre saying is, i can have better light variety without having to overspend on sound. then im all for that.

to me the visual experience is more important.