PDA

View Full Version : RGB LED Strips ??

Contrasteve
12-06-2014, 11:01 PM
So being new and finally deciding that I want to build a saber for my daughter , I researched the hell out of everything to find the easiest yet most rugged way of building an impressive saber.. I'm going to start with a Yoda MR since she's smaller and I'm going to convert it into a LED String Blade. What I'm wondering about is the use of RGB LED Strips...granted they are not close together but I believe their brightness makes up for that plus the correct diffusion ...has anyone else tried this before ?

I'm thinking about 5 of these daisy chained together. http://www.oznium.com/360-led-tube

Obi1
12-07-2014, 04:56 AM
Damn, I wrote a full book, then the browser made a tonk Sound and deleted the whole.
So the short Version: as far as I see in the LED strips the link Points to, the PCB is black. That will for sure spoil the effect, no amount of diffusor would make it look nice. But if they were available with White/transparent...although with 7.5" each, 5 of them would be too Long for even a full grown wookie. BUT, why do you want to make a Yoda MR a LED string, when it's already one ?:confused:

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-07-2014, 07:29 AM
First off, welcome to the Forums.

Why would you give a small child and saber with an LED strip in it? Just make her a standard hilt with a good LED in the bottom, and because an appropriate sized blade will be shorter, it should light up quite nicely.

bigkevin61
12-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Damn, I wrote a full book, then the browser made a tonk Sound and deleted the whole (thing).
I've had that happen WAY too often! I start copying my replies while composing them just in case.

As for using these strips, I'd be curious how "strong" those are, as using then in a saber for a child, I'd expect it to be given a beating.
You've mentioned you wanted rugged, why complicate it with led strings? I'd agree with FJK and go with a Rebel LED in the base. Less to break.

SpaceWindu
04-24-2015, 08:49 AM
Make one like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM_oLRvmoQ4
And your daughter will have every color in the rainbow. (granted, she will get them all at once, lol)