PDA

View Full Version : Which battery to use?

froggyone
12-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Good afternoon, I was wanting to know how to pick the right battery? I was looking at doing
PC v3.5
PC v3 color extender (maybe)
Luxeon Tri-Rebel Star (RGB)
LED driver (maybe)
Momentary Blue Ring Switch
PLI
speaker
I understand the resister with just a battery, switch and LED, but know I am trying something a little harder. I do not understand how to calculate needed voltage. Any help would be great and if any of the part I've listed are not need, please feel free to point it out. Still learning.

Thanks

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Welcome to the Forums!

If you are going use the items you mentioned, you wouldn't need resistors. Also without modifications, a 7.4V battery pack is what you would need. You need to figure out which one you can FIT into your design.

froggyone
12-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Thank you very much for the response. My next question is how did you calculate it to say 7.4 is the battery need? Are you adding the need voltage together?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-05-2014, 02:41 PM
No. There are mainly two types of battery packs - single cell 3.7V and 7.4V Li-ion packs. Since you are new, I doubt you know how to do the required hack to have the PC accept 3.7V, and without that, the 7.4V pack is the way to go. ;)

froggyone
12-05-2014, 08:35 PM
No. There are mainly two types of battery packs - single cell 3.7V and 7.4V Li-ion packs. Since you are new, I doubt you know how to do the required hack to have the PC accept 3.7V, and without that, the 7.4V pack is the way to go. ;)

I have watch the video from Pletcher Labs on how to do the hack. I just want to know if I needed to know any type of math formula to make it all work, like the resisted calculator.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-05-2014, 08:38 PM
I have watch the video from Pletcher Labs on how to do the hack. I just want to know if I needed to know any type of math formula to make it all work, like the resisted calculator.

Watching and doing are two separate things. If you plan on doing the hack then you have to use a 3.7V battery source. IF you plan on using accent LEDs or anything like that, then you may need to be able to calculate resistor values. For main LEDs, with the current setup you are listing, you won't need to.

froggyone
12-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Thank you for all of the help. I appreciate you taking the your time to answer a noobs questions.

cvsickle
12-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Also, with the PC, you don't need an LED driver, as the board has a current regulator built in. It automatically adjusts the voltage on the LEDs based on the LED you use, so long as the voltage needed is not greater than your battery pack voltage. You just have to set the current to the LED in the config files. The color extender also does this with two additional channels. Make sure you read the manual. All of this is better explained in there.

froggyone
12-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Great info. I have been trying to read as much as I can before buying anything. Thanks again