PDA

View Full Version : Best way to make a violet/Purple blade?

Nerdicus
11-28-2014, 06:58 PM
I know that white blades and purple filters work... with less brightness. I've also seen the leds with 3 colors (including blue and red obviously) and 4 colored ones (again, red and blue) from the website that sells the rebel leds. While I'm partially... well... partial, to having the blade be able to switch between this purple and a red one, if its easiest to only have one color of these two then purple will most likely be my priority :P. So, help a noob out, what do people recomend for purple?

*Note I have been doing a lot of research over the past few months about this project I've embarked on. Only reason I say this, its a common response I get here :P but seriously I have an... admittedly not final but existent idea of what I'm going for :)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Well, Red and Royal Blue = purple, and Red is Red. So I would say get a trip-Rebel Red/Green/Royal Blue. However, it also depends on what card you use as well.

Nerdicus
11-28-2014, 07:28 PM
um... Card? If you mean sound... there might not be

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-28-2014, 07:30 PM
um... Card? If you mean sound... there might not be

Yes, card as in "sound card". You may want to decide what else will be in the saber, and THEN we can see what your options will be.

Nerdicus
11-28-2014, 07:58 PM
Point taken. TO THE DRAWING BOARD... would a sound card be necessary for this?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Point taken. TO THE DRAWING BOARD... would a sound card be necessary for this?

From what it sounds like you want to do, I would highly recommend it.

polarcupz
11-28-2014, 08:40 PM
If you want purple you don't have to have a sound board at all. A RGB led will work for this. Depending on the battery pack you will need proper resistors. Resistor the Blue based on the forward voltage. Resistor the red more than the forward voltage (higher ohm than the calculation requires) otherwise you will get too much red in the mix and it will be fuchsia. You will have to play with resistors to get the mix you want.

If you don't want a soundboard, then you may want to wire the LEDs in parallel with each die individually resistored. You could wire 2 switches (one for blue, one for red). With that you could make it blue, red, or purple.

snilam
11-28-2014, 10:39 PM
You can make purple using resiators but you asked in you post the `best` way to make purple. You should really think about getting a sound board that has RICE so you can tune your purple. Some people like a more pinkish purple, some bluer. With RICE you can really dial in the shade you want. And i find a tri with a royal blue and a red work better than regular blue and red.

Nerdicus
11-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Is there any way to make it with the MWS stuff? Again, without the whole White/Discs thing.

Silver Serpent
11-30-2014, 08:47 AM
That would require a custom wiring of the LED. You'd need to contact the store first.

Nerdicus
11-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Does this seem like a good idea. I like the concept of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIB5Hb8Or34&index=11&list=WL

BaliMawr
10-02-2020, 06:02 AM
That's what I'm looking for! I want to tune my stunt saber (don't want sound) and would love to use variable resistors like this on a RGB tri cree. I can't find these tiny variable resistors, though... anyone have any sourcing? Is there such a thing as a tunable buck puck? Again, I really don't want sound.

jbkuma
10-02-2020, 08:58 AM
The 6 wire buck pucks are tunable, but once you spend the money on those, and trying to fit everything into the saber, it's probably cheaper and easier to just put a sound card in. If you don't want it to actually make sounds, don't use a speaker.

BaliMawr
10-02-2020, 10:57 AM
I'm having trouble with the equivalency of a $50-$100 sound card (when I don't want sound) and a $15 buck puck. I'm new to this, but I must be missing something. Help?

[edit]

Ok, so The buck-pucks are adjustable, but can only handle one channel each, is that correct? Does that mean a sound card eliminates the need for a buck puck? Or does one just use resistors with a sound card? Suggestions for a sound card to use for adjustability if I'm not concerned with sound?

Thanks!

BaliMawr
10-02-2020, 11:10 AM
Change of tack: Say I just want a blue-violet. does anyone have a reference for different resistor loads to achieve different purples from a tri cree? And is white necessary, or just a red and blue? What would a custom red/blue/blue look like?

Light Bringer
10-02-2020, 08:34 PM
So the simplist thing to do is just order a handful of different sized resistors, everything from .5ohm to 2ohm and just test different resistor values until you hit that perfect color. All LEDs are slightly different from each other and batteries are always slightly different as well. Resistors are cheap, and it only takes like 5 extra minutes to find the right setting.

Soundboards are the best way to go mainly because of ease of use. You plug it all up and if you want to change the shade of purple at any time, you just type a different value rather than having to rewire anything . And sound is just so much better lol

jbkuma
10-03-2020, 08:10 AM
Yes, you would need a a buck puck for each LED as well as a potentiometer for the adjustment.

ARKM
10-03-2020, 02:14 PM
If it helps, I have heard that royal blue and deep red LEDs make for a better purple than regular red and blue LEDs. You can order custom Tri-Cree LEDs from this very store with both royal blue and deep red LEDs on them.