PDA

View Full Version : First build

hapki
11-26-2014, 10:24 PM

I officially built this for my son. Of course, it's as much for me as for him. I used the NB with a 2 watt speaker. It looks nice on the outside, but the inside is a mess. I'll clean it up as I get better with my building skills. One thing I didn't anticipate, despite comments in the forums, is the amount of space taken up by wires. I was paranoid about coming up short with a wire, so I overestimated the length on all of them. Then I had to go back and cut out the slack. Everything is still jammed in there. Given that I had no idea what I was doing, really, it is a miracle that it turned out like it did. All parts are from TCSS with the exception of some wire and heat shrink I got from a local store. I'm ready to try a new build--of course, for my son. HA!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-26-2014, 11:08 PM
Welcome to the Forums. Good work.

Starwinder
11-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Welcome and congrats on finishing your first! Saber building is definitely a learning experience but it gets easier as you go ;)

JakeSoft
11-27-2014, 12:03 PM
It's looking good. Many people don't even go with sound in their first build, so you can be proud you got that working on your first time out.

Yorginsnarff
11-27-2014, 01:59 PM
wow! That is literally the design I used for my first saber, except I used a different hilt and a blue blade XD

Nice build though! I'm sure your son will love it :3

setelf3of5
11-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Welcome!! Congrats on your first build, and beginning your next build.

jedimastergarcia87
11-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Nice simple build. What blade/length did you use? =]

hapki
11-29-2014, 05:58 PM
It's a 28 inch blade. My son is 9, so it is still long for him.

Obi1
11-30-2014, 01:57 PM
A very good selection of components, looks elegant and very sci-fi-like. I dig the matching AV-Switch lighting.

hapki
12-15-2014, 06:16 PM
This saber is no more. Inside, the wiring was a mess. It wasn't visible, but I knew it was there. I have decided it needs a chassis and a more organized way to manage the wires. I can tell this will be a never ending project. My son will probably want his saber back, so I should probably start a build for myself and tinker with that one. I ordered the MWS parts. Maybe my offspring unit will learn to put it together himself if there's no soldering involved. It'd be great if he learned something about electricity from these projects. I sure have.