PDA

View Full Version : First saber with sound

cvsickle
11-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Hi,

I've been playing around with sabers for about 6 months or so. I modified some of the less-than-desired-quality sabers from you know who before I finally came to my senses and started building my own. I have recently finished my first saber with sound, just in time for halloween. It wasn't easy. Or cheap. I had many problems along the way, which I owe many thanks to the people of this forum for, but plenty of patience and determination (also design changes. Many, many design changes) got me through to the end.

I haven't named it yet, so feel free to make suggestions ;)

Specs:
PCv3 (7.4v)
CEx
2x 12mm AV Green momentaries
Tri Cree RGrB
28mm premium speaker
Recharge and RICE ports
MHS body
MHS chassis

Pics:

Had to get creative with wiring to get around the V5 speaker holder to the style 13 pommel insert.

Spent way too much time on the chassis.

I was trying to use some JQ tactile switches, but there ended up not being enough room in the 6" extension I was using for the tactile switch ring. I bought activation box 1 to compensate, but by poor machining looked like crap with the switches installed.

cvsickle
11-02-2014, 08:24 PM
I instead opted for the 12mm AV switches, given the easy install with the nut, but I had to dremel-fu some room in both the box and the extension to fit them.

Here's all the pieces pre-assembly.

Some finished pics:

cvsickle
11-02-2014, 08:26 PM
More finished pics:

I've learned a ton and I'm looking forward to pushing the bar even further on my next saber. Thanks for being such a helpful and fun community. Let me know what you guys think! I strive on constructive criticism.

setelf3of5
11-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Nice looking build. Very creative!

Silver Serpent
11-03-2014, 05:46 AM
That's a fine looking saber you have there. A little color would really make it pop.

Good job on your build!

cvsickle
11-03-2014, 06:00 AM
Thanks. I agree about the color. That's what I was trying to do with the black leather in that final picture. Any suggestions on how to add more color?

Silver Serpent
11-03-2014, 07:07 AM
Enamel spray paint is one of the easier methods. Just mask off the areas you don't want painted, and have fun.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?12093-Part-Painting-and-Baking-Tutorial is a great tutorial on painting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaJQ9To_mNM&list=UU3wZvFoDBm8K8zVjaG7CaGQ is a really good video on using paint to create a weathered appearance.

bigkevin61
11-04-2014, 11:53 PM
Creative work with the speaker and chassis assembly. The layout you used wil be the same I will be using, and it is nice to see that completed and working!
Did you wire the rice port in the pommel as well as the recharge port?

cvsickle
11-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Yes the rice port is in the pommel. The only issue so far with my chassis is that it's too close to the center. I had to crank the sensitivity way up on the PC.

unclescary
11-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks for putting pictured up.

georgestanley032
12-04-2014, 01:09 AM
Like all the posts above, I would like to say that it's looking really good. I like its design - really creative. Thanks for posting the pics.

Jedi Madoc Mo'gu Red-Moon
12-09-2014, 09:38 AM
wow this looks cool! great job. im starting my own build too and looking into the RGB multicolour, if its not too personal to ask what did the internals of your build cost you all up?

i like the desing its almost something i would use were i a real jedi.

cvsickle
12-09-2014, 10:13 AM
i like the desing its almost something i would use were i a real jedi.

I am a real jedi ;)

Anyways:
PCv3: $130
CEx: $62
Premium Speaker: $5
Battery pack: $16
12mm AV Switches: $13 (for both)
Recharge port: $3
RICE port: $2.50
Tri Cree LED (not from store): ~$25
Small QD connectors (not from store): ~$5
Total: ~$260

Keep in mind that's just what went into the saber. My noobishness resulted in some repair taking place to my boards and a couple design changes resulted in money spent on parts that are no longer in the design. In total, I spent way too much money on this saber, but when you have a creation that works the way you expect it too, it's a priceless feeling indeed :)

Silver Serpent
12-09-2014, 11:32 AM
I agree. It's a great feeling when you get that saber working.

Do be careful adding up costs. Internals get expensive. Hilts get expensive. Then you figure out what you've spent on tools. :eek:

blkmorgan
12-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Is everything connected with clips or do you have things that are soldered straight up? Also, how small are those clips compared to the JST's. I have a similar idea to connect my saber so in the future I can swap out the internals between different sabers to save money when i start building multiple sabers.

cvsickle
12-09-2014, 06:36 PM
The only thing I have QD is the LED and the AV switches/accents. There is NO more room in the hilt. Zero. None. I wanted to QD the speaker, but I had no room. I have the QDs I do just so I can disassemble it if need be.

The QDs I used are about half of the JSTs. Maybe a little smaller.