PDA

View Full Version : possible new item, just thinking

TwinMill
10-27-2014, 01:41 PM
While assembling my saber, I ran into a bit of a problem. The nut for securing the AV switch was hitting the upper area of the hilt (inside, obv).
When this happened, I couldn't turn the nut anymore, yet the switch was still loose and wobbling a bit which could possibly lead to the nut
being jostled enough to unscrew itself. See upper left of image for rough (not to scale) reference.

I solved it for myself by grabbing the threaded part of the switch with a needle nose pliers and turning the whole thing while the nut was
locked onto the hilt. Not an ideal solution, as I'm somewhat concerned about the possibility it could damage the wires if redesigns, upgrades
etc. cause multiple cases of total dis-assembly / re-assembly of the saber.

I remember buying the tall bezel for my long AV switch, and got to thinking... "If there's a concave machined bezel that fits on the outside
of a hilt, why not a convex machined bezel (made from the same material) that could slide over the switch (between the nut & the hilt)
creating a flat surface which would allow the nut to turn without catching?"

I doubt it would take up too much room as it's only slightly thicker than the threaded part of an AV switch and need not be too terribly long.
(The right side of below image is how I imagine it working.) The pinkish/red bit is the switch nut, and the blue is what's on my mind.

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq98/vikings_fan-76/Forum%20images/reversebezel_zpsded812bc.png~original (http://s437.photobucket.com/user/vikings_fan-76/media/Forum%20images/reversebezel_zpsded812bc.png.html)

amwolf
10-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Ah, the dream of the anti-bezel...
I've used a washer w/ parallel cuts to solve this little issue, but the actualization of parallel left a lot to the imagination. If you've got a spare nut off another AV switch (hey, it's threaded into that box so what use it this leftover nut?), try dremeling out the threads so it slides over the switch body. Pre-made parallel bearing planes... then thread the other nut down onto it. With the short switches you may have an issue, always test first. I bet there's other options out there, too...

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-27-2014, 02:26 PM
Most people just use the short AV bezel on the inside to solve that problem. ;)

Darth Obi Don
10-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Most people just use the short AV bezel on the inside to solve that problem. ;)

Yep. Just turn the bezel 90 degrees and it does exactly what you drew.
Don