PDA

View Full Version : what battery's should I use?

blkmorgan
10-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Hey everyone, new to the forums and new to saber building. I have a problem. I am going to be using a Luxeon rebel star LED that puts out 320lm@ 1000mA w/ 3.1v along with a 4 wire 1000mA buck puck that has a min. voltage of 5v and a mx of 32V. I'll be using just a standard no frill switch. My question is what type and how many batteries do I use. That is the only hiccup im having right now. Oh and im a noob at electronics. A tenact at the storage facility I work at said he would help me with the soldering and placement but told me to find and figure out what I would need by myself so I could learn for my next build.(the guy is like 80 so I wasn't going to argue) any suggestions and or help would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Serpent
10-20-2014, 12:53 PM
A 7.4v li-ion pack would be ideal. See here for premade packs: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Li-ion-Packs-C85.aspx

Be sure the switch you use is a latching type switch. If you get a momentary switch, you'll also need a momentary-to-latching converter. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Momentary-to-latching-converter-45-20V-P929.aspx

blkmorgan
10-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Thanks. The latching switch is what I should have said in the first place. I think my confusion with the batteries is that they all have a voltage per battery i.e. 9vlots are 9v and I don't want to fry the LED by putting to many batteries or having a dull light by having not enough.

blkmorgan
10-20-2014, 02:00 PM
1 more. The link gives me the option of several 7.4v packs. Which one would I go for. A lower mAh of 800, a higher one at 1600 or a mid at 1050. This is what is confusing me

snilam
10-20-2014, 06:50 PM
i go with the biggest mAh I can get away with for a longer run time. but depends on the hilt size constraints.

blkmorgan
10-20-2014, 07:27 PM
That's what I was hoping someone would say. Thanks!!!

Silver Serpent
10-21-2014, 07:01 AM
That's pretty much correct. The mAh value is a measure of how much power the pack can store. The higher the value, the longer your saber will run before you need to recharge. Get the biggest one that will still fit inside your hilt with all the other electronics.