PDA

View Full Version : 3D printed blade holder with LED

mauricelogic
10-16-2014, 11:42 AM
I'm new to the building sabers and I am trying to develop an inexpensive (sub $50) way to build a complete lightsaber. To that end, I am exploring using a 3D printed blade holder that also serves as an LED holder. I have selected a 1 up Rebel star LED.

Question:

Do the LEDs get too hot for holding in a plastic based bade holder?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-16-2014, 11:49 AM
They can get warm. Also these forums are connected to a store that sells lightsaber stuff.

mauricelogic
10-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Here are images of what I'm thinking. The hilt is made from a track and field relay baton.

Silver Serpent
10-16-2014, 11:54 AM
The saber body can be constructed with $10-20 worth of PVC pipe. It's the saber internals and electronics that tend to drive the price up.

As an example, I built the following saber for around $50 in parts. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?16785-John-Deere-Saber Most of that cost was the internals.

mauricelogic
10-16-2014, 11:55 AM
I have visited the shop but the custom machined aluminum pieces can get a bit expensive. I am using these to teach engineering principles to kids. I want them all to build their own lightsabers from inexpensive parts. Each kid will leave with their own lightsaber. That is why I have to keep the cost down. Having a 3D printed blade holder also allows me to introduce them to CAD and 3d printing. Thanks for the reply!

Silver Serpent
10-16-2014, 12:04 PM
It sounds like a fun project. I would definitely stress-test the printed parts before letting the kids go to town on each other. Some 3d printed materals will withstand the abuse of being a blade holder, others will not. And kids *will* use the sabers on each other. :)

mauricelogic
10-16-2014, 09:08 PM
It sounds like a fun project. I would definitely stress-test the printed parts before letting the kids go to town on each other. Some 3d printed materals will withstand the abuse of being a blade holder, others will not. And kids *will* use the sabers on each other. :)

LOL!. Yes I will definitely have to keep an eye on them while they're with me. Thanks for the insights. I will keep you updated as I am planning on ordering a few 3D printed blade holders from Sculpteo.

nelsond6
01-31-2015, 06:33 PM
Any update on printing the blade holder? I was thinking of doing the same thing.