PDA

View Full Version : Using color filters with Color LEDs and not white ones

vamphunterx
11-19-2006, 10:51 PM
I've searched around the forums and haven't found a topic about this subject, so if there is one already, please forgive me. I've been wondering if anyone has tried using color filters with the colored LEDs like using a red filter with a blue LED or blue filter with a red LED. A blue filter and a green LED could probably turn out to be pretty cool.

james3
11-20-2006, 06:11 AM
Give it a shot and post some pics.

Pretty much the agreement on filtering red isn't going to happen. In most other cases folks are choosing blue, green, amber, etc. LEDs because that is the color they want.

Everything is worth a try though, good luck!

luis rojas
11-20-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm sorry to tell you this but you canīt . The white light has all the colors, so if you put a filter in the middle of a withe light beam you will allow to pass only the desired color. A colour led has only one color light beam, so putting a filter will only forbit the pass of the original color. I've already tried it. Sorry.

xwingband
11-20-2006, 07:28 AM
It turns out pretty crappy in most cases. If you want to alter the shade with a similar colored filter it works, but opposties like the red + blue = crappiest look ever.

elrond.406
11-20-2006, 05:14 PM
I agree with the red lux combined with filters. All that happens is that the blade gets darker

vamphunterx
11-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Ok then thanks for your input everyone. I figured maybe a combo like red + blue might give a good purple, but I guess not. Well let me ask another question I've wondered about. Has anyone tried using half and half color filtering with white LED, like using half green and half red to half a split color blade?

james3
11-21-2006, 06:58 AM
It does not work that way. In order to do that there would have to be a separator all the way up the blade. Light travels in all directions so the instant it passed through the split filters you would have an overwhelmed green which would pretty much make a red with a dark bottom.