PDA

View Full Version : FX Vader conversion LED questions

pico
09-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Hi,
First will the Cree XP-E2 20mm work with this converter? It appears compatible in size to the Luxeon Rebel which I have read will work.

I am going for a red only color.

3-way vs. 1-way: Both the Cree and Lux Rebel come in 1-way and 3-way configurations. I will likely power through a buckpuck and 2 14500 batteries. (700ma for Lux, 1000ma for Cree). My question: is there a brightness difference between the 1-way and the 3-way? I know, doh 3 is better, but I don't know if the die used on the 1-way is as bright as the combined 3 since they are both rated at the same current draw.
The 3-ways have 18 degree optics and the 1-way have the 8 degree optics. The 8 degree optics seems to be what gets the best look? Not sure if that makes enough difference to make my decision?
Are the Cree XP-E2 brighter than the Lux Rebel configuration or just draw more power?

I hope these questions are direct enough to make sense. I tried to eliminate too much "depends" type questions.

pico
09-30-2014, 05:33 AM
I've just ordered the conversions and some resistors from the shop.

But, since I wanted a R-R-R tri-rebel I got it from ledsuply

The two options I am looking at is:
1. 18630 power each die in parallel. Each ground lead would need a 1.5 ohm resistor. Seems simple enough but less efficient than a buckpuck.
2. Buckpuck. I do not know what my best option is here. The R-R-R tri-rebel comes soldered in series. The datasheets for the puck have me a bit confused on the best way to power this. It seems to suggest the 700ma puck will power the series wired led at 11.1v at full current? What is the best way to wire up multiple leds with a puck?

Silver Serpent
09-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Rebel reds need 700mA of current @ 2.4v. If you have a RRR Tri-Rebel in series, you'll need 7.2v to power it. A 700mA buckpuck with a 7.4v pack should be sufficient.

It is generally better to get your Tri-Rebels (or any multi-die LEDs) as individually addressable. Then you can wire them up in series or parallel as needed.

pico
09-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm a complete noob on the puck and how to calculate multiple leds on a device like that.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Are you planning to use the stock soundboard? If so, I would rethink your battery source....7.4 volts is way to much voltage for the original FX soundboards and will fry it. If you're planning to use a triple red les, I would suggest using a single 3.7 volt 18650 , or if you have enough room, two wired parallel.

pico
09-30-2014, 09:18 PM
No sound. Should draw about 2.1A which shouldn't be a problem for almost any 18650. I'd like to stick with cells with internal protection so I don't have to wire in a protection circuit. I'll have to see if 2 18650 holders will fit.

I have 3 5w 1.5ohm resistors. I'll probably start with a simple direct setup with those and a quality protected 18650 and see how it goes.
But the puck sounds interesting. If I have the LEDs serial and hook up 7.4v to the puck it will drive all three at 700ma if the source can maintain the current, right?

I don't have it yet, but I would think these conversions should dissipate heat pretty well with all the metal-on-metal. And they don't say, but i assume they fit 1" blades, right?

Thanks for the feedback and help. I'm learning a lot fast here.