PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild or build new?

gstealer
11-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey all,

I'm working on finishing up my MHS custom sith saber w/hasbro sound.
I bought a used MR Vader on evilbay that wouldn't power up.

I took it apart last night and found that the switch is
bad which is easy to replace, but it did not come with
a battery pack. Its works fine if I use the battery
out of my other vader.

Now I have a dilema...
Should I use the sound out of this to replace the
hasbro in my sith and use the hilt parts/ blade to
build my kids two 20" long bladed 1W sabers or
try and locate a new 3 cell battery pack for the
vader and keep as new?

Comment and general ponderings welcome

Lord Maul
11-19-2006, 12:01 PM
those batt. packs are hard to find. i would take it apart and use it for other projects

SilentBob501
11-19-2006, 12:01 PM
If you take the vader setup out of its plastic housings you can use a standard run of the mill radioshack battery pack and buy some speakers from ebay. I know theres a link somewhere for those...

Here it is.
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-LOT-SMALL-28mm-1-1-8-MYLAR-SPEAKER-SPEAKERS-LEADS_W0QQitemZ230032987678QQihZ013QQcategoryZ5816 2QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

then with some rewiring and hot glue you can run the run the Vader just fine.

Lord Maul
11-19-2006, 12:03 PM
the reason i say gut it is because he already has another vader so why have 2 when you can have one and a custom for yourself and your kids?

SilentBob501
11-19-2006, 12:06 PM
What I meant is that he can use the busted vader sound in his mhs, and keep his good vader intact.

jjshumpert
11-19-2006, 12:35 PM
for your mhs you should gut the spare vader , buy the 28mm speaker which fits well in the mhs with small modification to your hilt, and then you have an extra vader hilt for the kids, which the 28mm spk will fit in as well. you would be well off to go rechargable with the mhs so you can put the speaker in the center of the hilt and have a better resonance and add in a recharge port to the pommel. good luck and by all means, build some for the kids, its a great hobby to do with dad!

bob take some pics of your reused ani sound module for him to go off of, would prob help him out greatly for swapin from the 3 cell to the new battery pack of his choice.

Mor-El Kesav
11-19-2006, 02:47 PM
I think you should gut the Vader, use the MR sound board in MHS saber and then use the other parts to make sabers for your kids. It is a great project and y'all can then study lightsaber dueling together as a form of exercise and mental training. That will be a project you and your kids will remember for a long time.

james3
11-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Is your other Vader converted or stock for show? Do you like the Vader hilt? Do you want a Vader to dual with?

That really makes the decision for you I would think. I converted a Vader Saturday morning and used my bin 6 blue that I got from Tim forever ago. I have popped that LED in and out of a few hilts but decided that I wanted an "ANH blue" Vader to go in my personal collection. (sorry Do-Clo) At the same time I would also normally say gut it and use it in a custom hilt.

If you use it in a MHS hilt I too would recommend Ambo's speaker.

gstealer
11-19-2006, 07:07 PM
I was leaning towards gutting and making a smaller saber
for my oldest to play with (and for me to duel wield)

I like my other MR Vader the way it is..
The kids really like the way it extends and retracts
and I don't do any serious dueling with it so the LED
strands aren't a problem.

I've got to do some more polishing on the hilt of my MHS
then I'll post some pics (a couple days probably)

Does anyone know if the Vader sound card will fit inside the ribbed MHS section?

Thanks

james3
11-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Yes.

The MR FX boards slide down in to the ribbed just fine.

gstealer
11-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Another quick question.. I've done the Luke FX soundcard, but the Vader looks to have a slightly different wiring harness. Anyone got a picture of what wire's what?

BTW, I cannot believe how much brighter the 3W red/orange is VS the white 3W. Much nicer now

Thanks much.

james3
11-20-2006, 06:32 PM
The yellows are the switch, the clash is in line with the LED positive, the motions are on board and the others are battery and sound negative if memory serves right.

Pretty much follow the Anakin thing and you will be good to go.
I know soon as I decided to bang out the last Vader I had these questions would come up. :oops:

Lord Maul
11-20-2006, 09:39 PM
http://thecustomsa.web133.discountasp.net/forum/05vader/18.jpg

that is what your wiring will look like :wink:

gstealer
11-21-2006, 05:54 PM
No it won't... :wink: :)
The vader has a sensor built into the card itself.

I got the switch wires hooked up.
I think the speaker is brown wire but where's the other?
The red and black are battery.

Do I keep the grey wire separate for the LED Positive and twist the others together for LED negative?

Sorry, if this has turned into a sound thread now...

Firebird21
11-21-2006, 05:58 PM
No it won't... :wink: :)
The vader has a sensor built into the card itself.

That's the sensor the Motion Sensor for the Motion Sound FX. The sensor shown in the pic is the Clash sensor.

james3
11-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Positive for the speaker is the same as the battery positive just tie them together. Remember there was three holes on the batt pack? Common positive.

gstealer
11-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Nevermind.. I figured it out and have a working new Sith Saber..

Pics to come tomorrow....