PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Working Out Switch Placement

obi-wan keN00Bi
09-07-2014, 06:55 AM
this is a bit of an issue as i dont see how i can fit a 3.7v li on battery, nano biscotte, resistors and 1 av switch and a 2.1 jack in this design without it looking terrible someone please help!! I understand that cram fu will be needed and i am preparing myself.
thanks in advance.
edit: it is 9.81'' long.

snilam
09-07-2014, 07:17 AM
What is the momentary switch for? The NB only uses a single activation switch. There are no aux button connections.

obi-wan keN00Bi
09-07-2014, 08:10 AM
just read through the manual again it takes my brain a few days to retain important information haha

snilam
09-07-2014, 08:46 AM
You could use a box like box 9 to hold your av and recharge and have the service for the box done on your hilt on the grenade part? Your cramfu will have to be strong too. The inner diameter of the grenade is smaller than the regular parts

obi-wan keN00Bi
09-07-2014, 09:11 AM
reckon i could fit one of these in? http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MHS-speaker-mount-V6-For-28mm-Speakers-P892.aspx

You could use a box like box 9 to hold your av and recharge and have the service for the box done on your hilt on the grenade part? Your cramfu will have to be strong too. The inner diameter of the grenade is smaller than the regular parts

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-07-2014, 09:20 AM
reckon i could fit one of these in? http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MHS-speaker-mount-V6-For-28mm-Speakers-P892.aspx

Fit that in where? In the grenade section?

obi-wan keN00Bi
09-07-2014, 09:27 AM
no, well kinda, from the pommel (the speaker end) to about half way to the grenade section (5inches)

Fit that in where? In the grenade section?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-07-2014, 09:42 AM
No. The grenade section is slight smaller than the rest of the parts.

obi-wan keN00Bi
09-07-2014, 09:46 AM
hmmm, any adjustments i can make to get it to fit? or just go without it?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-07-2014, 10:00 AM
hmmm, any adjustments i can make to get it to fit? or just go without it?

What was the idea behind your design?

obi-wan keN00Bi
09-07-2014, 10:22 AM
just wanted all wiring and battery in a compact shell for easily removal and to protect it. maybe cutting bits of the battery/speaker mount on the bit that enters the grenade section.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-07-2014, 10:23 AM
I mean why are you using the MHS parts you are using?

obi-wan keN00Bi
09-07-2014, 10:55 AM
oh because of the aesthetics and it is loosely inspired by ki adi mundi's saber.

snilam
09-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Well if you are going to use the chassis you posted you would probly have to replace your 2 inch dbl female extension with a 4 inch to accommodate it. That would give you 5.5" for the chassis speaker holder combo, its needs minimum of 5 and will not fit into the ribbled section. Were you going to use it as a single handed or double handed hilt? The 4 inch would make more like a hand and a half or maybe 2 handed if you have smaller hands. you would have about 10 inches or so for your hands. Just a thought

obi-wan keN00Bi
09-07-2014, 12:42 PM
hmm i think im better off leaving the chasis i didnt realise it pretty much had to fit in one mhs part so thanks for the heads up. I have always like the idea of a smaller hilt i grew up with the massive clunky 2004 hasbro ?10 sabers and i have always since then wanted a small hilt like the ones you see in the films; if that answers your question aha. Another thought on the chasis is to make my own which shouldnt be too difficult to get it as small as possible.

obi-wan keN00Bi
09-07-2014, 12:54 PM
and another question that is slighty off topic here: does media blasting effect etching in any way shape or form?

ScopesMapeo
09-08-2014, 01:29 PM
this is a bit of an issue as i dont see how i can fit a 3.7v li on battery, nano biscotte, resistors and 1 av switch and a 2.1 jack in this design without it looking terrible someone please help!! I understand that cram fu will be needed and i am preparing myself.
thanks in advance.
edit: it is 9.81'' long.

I think you can work something out. If you rearrange your parts in a different order you can achieve the same design aesthetic while ensuring enough room for the parts you described. It will be tight, but doable.

Try this: pommel, blank extension style 3, ribbed extension, 2 inch extension, blade holder.

The 2 inch extension is big enough to hold an AV switch without getting too close to the threads, Tim can perform the switch hole service on that part (I've had it done for a few of my builds). For the heat sink you would probably have to go with heat sink V4 (flat style)...that would make enough room behind the LED for the AV switch to live.

Chassis disk style 3 can fit inside of the ribbed grip section, so you should be able to work out a chassis design that will secure all of your internals. The recharge port is tricky, but if you mount it in the pommel there should be enough room...but that can muffle the sound. It may be possible to have a recharge port hole drilled in the blank extension style 3...and modify (cut up) a speaker holder to fit around the recharge port...or design a custom part that can serve as a speaker holder and recharge port mount all in one and have it 3D printed. You will have room, but it will be tight!!

obi-wan keN00Bi
09-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Thank you, i think though i have worked this out to get it work with the current design already, made a prototype chassis. though your mention of chassis disk 3 is very useful!
but seriously i really appreciate the help and it my idea doesn't go to plan im definitely going with yours!:):)

I think you can work something out. If you rearrange your parts in a different order you can achieve the same design aesthetic while ensuring enough room for the parts you described. It will be tight, but doable.

Try this: pommel, blank extension style 3, ribbed extension, 2 inch extension, blade holder.

The 2 inch extension is big enough to hold an AV switch without getting too close to the threads, Tim can perform the switch hole service on that part (I've had it done for a few of my builds). For the heat sink you would probably have to go with heat sink V4 (flat style)...that would make enough room behind the LED for the AV switch to live.

Chassis disk style 3 can fit inside of the ribbed grip section, so you should be able to work out a chassis design that will secure all of your internals. The recharge port is tricky, but if you mount it in the pommel there should be enough room...but that can muffle the sound. It may be possible to have a recharge port hole drilled in the blank extension style 3...and modify (cut up) a speaker holder to fit around the recharge port...or design a custom part that can serve as a speaker holder and recharge port mount all in one and have it 3D printed. You will have room, but it will be tight!!

obi-wan keN00Bi
09-08-2014, 01:51 PM
once i get it done expect photo posts! with honorable mention to all of you who have helped me along the way!

TwinMill
09-12-2014, 06:08 PM

Just out of curiosity, I tried this in the MHS builder, and think I ran into a couple possible issues.
Not sure if you meant to have the parts assembled in the order you mentioned, but if so,
it looks (to me) like where blank extension 3 meets ribbed extension both have male threads
and would need a 1.2" double female, and 2) where the ribbed extension meets the
2" extension both have female threads and would need the double male thread connector
between them to work.

Otherwise, it's a nice looking hilt.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, I tried this in the MHS builder, and think I ran into a couple possible issues.
Not sure if you meant to have the parts assembled in the order you mentioned, but if so,
it looks (to me) like where blank extension 3 meets ribbed extension both have male threads
and would need a 1.2" double female, and 2) where the ribbed extension meets the
2" extension both have female threads and would need the double male thread connector
between them to work.

Otherwise, it's a nice looking hilt.

You have the ribbed section reversed. ;)

TwinMill
09-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Gah... sometimes I wonder if I left part of my brain behind when I get out of bed.
Those simple solutions can be the easiest to overlook. I was just going by how the
MHS builder laid the parts out. Totally forgot the rotate / flip tool. ~(_8(|) D'oh!