PDA

View Full Version : saber idea I've not seen yet..

Proximal
11-16-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm still a noobie in the sabermaking realm but I'm not when it comes to art. I've been messing around with the idea of making a saber with stained wood features. I was thinking of doing maybe the sinkpipe as the main body and working off the silver to bring out the copper/brass (not sure which) look underneath. Then using my father-in-laws wood lathe to work some pieces into a handle. Then maybe making the endpiece some type of shouldered wooden knob.

I'm just interested in what you guys think. I have yet to see a style saber like this. What color should the led be? What look would you shoot for? what electronics, if any? Just need some general feedback befor I start doing anything with my parts or lathe.

james3
11-16-2006, 06:55 PM
Sounds interesting. There are only a few guys that do anything other then metal. I always find them interesting.

Madcow
11-16-2006, 08:00 PM
I've thought about fashioning wood saber segments for awhile, never done it though. Post pics if you do!

MC

naashar
11-16-2006, 09:20 PM
I've seen one or two...if done right, they come out really beautiful. Think of something a Wookie Jedi would use. Very organic!

xwingband
11-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Someone needs to check the gallery unless that was yours... can't remember. It looked like he used wood veneer or something.

Not the best execution, but wood is there.

james3
11-16-2006, 09:47 PM
I've seen one or two...if done right, they come out really beautiful. Think of something a Wookie Jedi would use. Very organic!

Yep you nailed what I was trying to get out there. You da man.

987654321a
11-16-2006, 09:57 PM
i have access to a wood lathe so i could make up something, but my finger is busted and i cant do anything until its fixed up! :(

naashar
11-16-2006, 10:36 PM

Yep you nailed what I was trying to get out there. You da man.

I do, what I can do, when I can do it.

LordArgyll
11-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This is pretty much the idea for my ultimate concept saber... brass furniture/body with a dark wood grip, like a traditional bladed sword and with similar lines. Truly an elegant weapon from a more civilized time. :D

If only I had the tools and the time...

Dregan
11-17-2006, 08:48 AM
I've seen one or two that a guy I know made out of oak dowell rods. Same thing, IIRC, using a wood lathe. Given a nice stain, I think that'd be a beautiflu thing to hold. I would still use one of Tim's emitters, though, for stability and heat dissipation. I think the only appropriate blade color for something like that is green, but that's just my opinion.

Whatever you do, please post pics.

Madcow
11-17-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm also messing around with the idea of a leather grip. I'm thinking woven cords- like the silk on a Katana.

MC

Proximal
11-17-2006, 03:48 PM
I just keep looking at my knife collection and thinking to myself, "wow, a matching saber would look great with these." Most of my knives/swords are handmade and eather aquired from some gun and knife show here in atlanta or from my dad in alaska. I'm big on leather and wood, mountain-man type of stuff.

Bladecolor is very important because it can eather make or break the whole design. Also, it would be important not to overdo it on the style, not too much stained wood or too much fancy brass (unless, of course, someone else had some better idea in their head). I'll start working on sketches tonight and possibly post some of them to get some feedback. I need to know what can realistically be accomplished.

Any ideas on the electronics inside? I'm still not sure what would be best for this type of design.

Good call on thinking wookie. I never would have thouht of it that way.

fadeout
11-18-2006, 11:52 AM
has anyone tried this kinda thing.
http://www.shootinggallerysf.com/Artists/Krafft_Charles/Images400/CK1_104.jpg
i would love to do something with porcelain or ceramics but i don't have any experience with it.

it would be a strictly show peice. plus i'd hate to bleed over porcelein - it would become too slippy and after one good hit it would probably shatter from the shock. (i usually get cut at least once by my own saber [rots anikin] damn switch houseing box!)

Lord Maul
11-18-2006, 04:11 PM
using porclain would looks sweet but, like you said would be too delicate. also, you would probably mold it directly on the saber but in order to make the porcelain strong, you need to fire it at a very high temp. which would most likely screw up the rest of the saber. not to mention that not too many people know how to work with porcelain and/or have a kiln

desertscorpion
11-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Who had the Captain Nemo wood and brass saber web link? I looked for that a while back and couldn't find it. I think it might be some good inspiration in this case.

Spencer_P
11-26-2006, 05:01 PM
That saber can be seen over at Luukesabers ( http://www.thelightsaber.com/IndexFolder/index2.htm )

http://www.thelightsaber.com/CustomSabers/customsaberset3/007aL.jpg

http://www.thelightsaber.com/CustomSabers/customsaberset3/007bL.jpg

Delmustator
11-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Actually Rosewood and Copper/Brass would look nice...