PDA

View Full Version : Can you use a power drill?

ti-el_terall
11-11-2006, 09:13 PM
To drill the holes for the sink tube to mhs connecter? Whnever I try to drill holes they always never line up. And how would you mark the places where you want to drill? Like I know how but how would you mark it on the other side of the hilt?

Firebird21
11-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Yes you can use a power drill, and although I’ve never used the Sink Tube Adapter, if I were to use it I’d put some masking tape on the MHS Adapter and trace out the end of the adapter (for a reference point) then the holes. Then you take the tape off and place it on the Sink Tube using the marks from the end of the adapter lined up with the end of the tube. You should then have the exact locations of the holes on the tape from the Adapter with which to drill your holes.

I hope that helps. I don’t always make sense. If you have any questions please do ask.

Do-Clo
11-11-2006, 09:27 PM
I just drill and tap new holes :shock:

Lord Maul
11-11-2006, 09:30 PM
if you want two holes opposite each other then just get a longer drill bit, clamp the adapter down, and then drill all the way through, that is assuming you have a drill press

ti-el_terall
11-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks firebird Il try that out.

Do-clo I meant linning it up with the sinktube adapter on the sink tube.

Pyle If i was asking if i could do it with a power drill i think it would be kinda obviouse i dont have a drill press.

Do-Clo
11-11-2006, 09:50 PM
I knew that, but I still just drill and tap new holes, I insert the sinktube adapter and drill the holes where I want them.

Firebird21
11-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks firebird I'll try that out.

Glad I could help. Best of luck!

And don't forget to post pics!

ti-el_terall
11-11-2006, 10:41 PM
I knew that, but I still just drill and tap new holes, I insert the sinktube adapter and drill the holes where I want them.

Do you mean not using the pre-drilled holes?

Firebird21
11-12-2006, 05:10 AM
Do you mean not using the pre-drilled holes?

Yep, He just plops that thing inside the sink tube and drills new holes where ever he sees fit.

Works great if you have a Tap set. And you don't have to use the same hole configuration that's on the adapter. But it's less drilling if you use the stock holes.

Ether way should do you just fine.

james3
11-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Ti-El I only have my Cordless DeWalt drill that I use to do that kind of work. While I have yet to do the sink tube adapter I have used several of the machined EL blade holders. Same rules apply, I have done both methods discussed above by Do-Clo and Firebird. My preference is to just insert the piece where I want it, drill and tap and be happy. Firebird has much more patience then me so the tape and measure thing I am sure works better for him then me.

Dregan
11-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Get a drill press. Harbor freight has them starting at about $40 + $10 for S&H. Mine has a 3" vise attached to it for more challenging pieces. Use it twice, and you will start looking for excuses to use it instead of anything else.

I know I did...

james3
11-14-2006, 01:26 PM
I think dude is on our youngin list and therefore is most likely limited to what he has access to.

I could go down the street anytime to use a drill press and I also agree that they can be had cheap but I also have used a cordless Heavy Duty drill most of my life and know I can pretty much do anything I want with it.

Improvise, adapt, overcome.

I love that motto.

For anyone who has the bucks and space, get a press.

Dregan
11-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Another advantage I just thought of to using Do-Clo's method of drilling holes wherever he wants them is that if you're using emitter #4 or the other one with holes in it, you can align the slots with your switches and covertec and whatnot...

ti-el_terall
11-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Hey guys! Im glad to say I did it without having any excess holes! The only problem i had with wrapping tape around the adpater then marking it off then putting it on the sink tube was that the sink tube is a buit bigger then the adapter. :? The only thing I had to do tho was drill anouther half of a hole on 1 side for each screw, kinda like CO except the c woul be a bit closer to the o. I dont know if any of that made senxe but Im probably gonna make a template then scan and have it for others to download.

As to what James sid, yes I am only 14 and I live in a small Canadian town, so the only welcome place to use a drill press would be my school but my principle doesnt let us bring stuff like that in now. As to buying a drill press, I have the money but not the space, and i also have 3 siblings who allready think its unfair for me to spend my own money. :evil:

BTW, this is my money, Iv never had an allowence I work for my pay :D . My mom thinks its silly that I spend it all on star wars tho. When i showed the Vader suite Im planning on buying she said "I could feed you guys for a month, well actually maybe not." :D

james3
11-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Hey guys! Im glad to say I did it without having any excess holes! The only problem i had with wrapping tape around the adpater then marking it off then putting it on the sink tube was that the sink tube is a buit bigger then the adapter. :? The only thing I had to do tho was drill anouther half of a hole on 1 side for each screw, kinda like CO except the c woul be a bit closer to the o. I dont know if any of that made senxe but Im probably gonna make a template then scan and have it for others to download.

A little trick that may help you in the future, instead of wrapping the tape around the hilt just use one piece for the one set of holes and another for the bottom set. That way you just make peel, re-apply to the sink pipe and drill. Has worked well in the past for me.

Madcow
11-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Hot tip for Canadians...

Sears Canada has a sale on for a 10" drill press for $60.. that's half price!

MC