PDA

View Full Version : Finished 1st Saber. Help me name it!

snilam
07-21-2014, 07:21 PM
hello. Just finished my first saber, and first off I would like to thank all that helped on the forums and tim for making great parts. But anyway its constructed of mostly MHS parts, but it does have a custom sleeve that I made and also I had a local shop did the powder coating (flat black on the hilt and brass on the choke and emitter). Also I had some parts made from shapeways and odd parts from amazon for the motorized crystal chamber. Sound is through a NB 2.0, color is a tri rebel rb rb white for foc. Critiques are welcome would love to hear some constructive criticism. Will have vid of rotating chamber later camera battery died :(

Also it needs a name and would love some suggestions!

Thanks again all!

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b626/Shawn_Malins/DSC00896_zps12cd61e1.jpg
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b626/Shawn_Malins/DSC00901_zps1b46a544.jpghttp://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b626/Shawn_Malins/DSC00904_zps8317dd74.jpghttp://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b626/Shawn_Malins/DSC00886_zps248edf2d.jpg

amwolf
07-21-2014, 07:36 PM
First saber, huh? Well, that's... sweet. Nice job. Grumble grumble... jealous... grumble. As for a name, I vote for "Bob". No one ever names a saber that, they always seem to go so serious and deep and really important sounding, so I vote for whimsy. "Kid, stop selling those Death Sticks, or I'm going to beat you about the head with Bob until you get your mind right."

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Great work on the hilt. It came out great.

As far as names go, it a personal decision, what I would recommend is that if you pick a name do a search here and on FX to make sure it hasn't been previously used, or one I plan on using. ;) Many use latin or other language translations for their names.

Lord Agelastus
07-21-2014, 07:39 PM
That's your first saber? Its got a motorized crystal chamber? I'm gonna have to step up my game before I've even started playing -__-

Also, I second Bob

Ty_Bomber
07-21-2014, 08:11 PM
This is an amazing saber. I havent seen a design this unique in ages, it really reminds me of when I first started in this hobby.

Bob has really grown on me.

snilam
07-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Hmmm whats the latin for bob?

Sevinzol
07-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Wow awesome job. you have everything in it but the kitchen sink.

snilam
07-21-2014, 10:06 PM
here's a short vid sorry bout the graininess its just with my phone. I'll take a better one later with the dslr.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L22C8gfN2Y

Starwinder
07-22-2014, 05:40 AM
Wow, incredible job there! This is an amazing first build - congrats!

I believe the Latin for Bob is 'obbay' :p

Silver Serpent
07-22-2014, 06:52 AM
Google Translate says the Latin for "Robert" is "Robertus." I'm not quite sure I trust that translation.

ghoti115
07-22-2014, 08:57 AM
You could name it Gyrari, which is Latin for rotate (for the rotating crystal chamber). However, I agree that the name is a personal choice and you should find what you feel suits the saber.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Google Translate says the Latin for "Robert" is "Robertus." I'm not quite sure I trust that translation.

He could call it "Roberticus the First" or "Bob" for short. :D

Obi1
07-22-2014, 01:12 PM
You must be kidding about that being your first saber...that rotating Crystal chamber is a masterpiece of mechanical engineering, never even seen the like of that before. Simply great! As for the name, it seems it is already known as Bob...maybe it could be embellished to Gyrabob?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-22-2014, 01:23 PM
You must be kidding about that being your first saber...that rotating Crystal chamber is a masterpiece of mechanical engineering, never even seen the like of that before. Simply great! As for the name, it seems it is already known as Bob...maybe it could be embellished to Gyrabob?

Those were (probably still are) sold as a kit.

snilam
07-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the compliments guys it gives me the warm fuzzies. As far as the crystal chamber yes it is sold as a 2 part kit you can find it at shapeways, and you will need a little motor found on amazon. Original was designed by a guy with the you tube channel "ammnra" he has links to the parts or you can get it assembled straight from him at a resonable price.

Note: the design was great but there were some problems with the printing that I had to correct. I live in texas so maybe the heat might have warped them in shipping. Next time I would probly do something a little different with it. I think I might be able to improve it.

snilam
07-22-2014, 08:24 PM
so still pondering names was thinking of...(I blame google translate if they are wrong)

roto cor (rotate the heart)
animo valde (spinning heart)
cor frigido (heart dance)
saltantem crystallum (dancing crystal)
and
robertus scriptor lana crystallum (robert's spinning crystal aka BOB)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-22-2014, 08:30 PM
so still pondering names was thinking of...(I blame google translate if they are wrong)
robertus scriptor lana crystallum (robert's spinning crystal aka BOB)

This has my vote.

Askew Wai
07-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Robertus... Obertusr... Bertusro... Ertusrob... Rtusrobe... Tusrober... Usrobert... Srobertu...

Or Aufklarung. It's an awesome saber! So many features and they still work really well together. (Of the above I like Tusrober).

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Robertus... Obertusr... Bertusro... Ertusrob... Rtusrobe... Tusrober... Usrobert... Srobertu...

Or Aufklarung. ... (Of the above I like Tusrober).

Interesting variations.

Machinimax
07-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Great work on the hilt. It came out great.

Many use latin or other language translations for their names.

Yes indeed. :) My saber has a yellow blade so I called it "Aurea", which is Latin for golden.

Look at a distinct characteristic or feature your saber has and perhaps you can come up with an idea for a name from that.

Khaine1969
07-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Silhouette

T

Or cyclone

snilam
07-31-2014, 10:18 PM
Hello all. Thanks for all the feedback. But I was pondering names and still couldn't settle on one. Started thinking about the movies and thought about how they are just constantly escaping certain death in all sorts of situations. Seriously the jedi are constantly GTFOing in the films (sorry started thinking about it too much) So anywho I thought if I had to make a quick escape I think my saber would do the job well so I dubbed thee "velox exitus" or "quick exit". Also I said earlier I would post a higher quality vid so here's a link if you like to take another look. and a couple more pics too since I changed the screws on the back to brass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR30zlNVRoQ
http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/Shawn_Malins/media/DSC00915_zps98819c67.jpg.html?sort=2&o=8
http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/Shawn_Malins/media/DSC00914_zpsc06d3cbb.jpg.html?sort=2&o=7
http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/Shawn_Malins/media/DSC00918_zps48ec31ab.jpg.html?sort=2&o=10

TheSilverDark
08-01-2014, 05:28 AM
Haha first saber, that's a good one. If that's your first saber I would happily commission you (if I had money...which I don't). That is truely amazing I think. And nice name btw. I'm jealous though...my first saber isn't ever gonna be that amazing...

snilam
08-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Thanks TheSilverDark.Well I'm a custom car audio guy by trade (fab for enclosures and interior panels,fibergalss, plexi, motorization, electronics etc). So that no doubt helped me with my first saber. The change from the relativily large to a small hilt was an adjustment but i had a blast making it. I do think i found a new hobby and have already made plans for the next. :)

cannibal869
08-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Nice work. I like "gyri"
I feel like I've seen that spinning chamber design elsewhere before, but can't quite place it at the moment...
nice solid and elegant build, though

snilam
08-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Nice work. I like "gyri"
I feel like I've seen that spinning chamber design elsewhere before, but can't quite place it at the moment...
nice solid and elegant build, though

you probly have. it was originally designed by a prop guy His youtube name is ammnra. You can get an assembled one from him or he can tell you where to get all the parts you need and make one yourself like I did.

TheSilverDark
08-04-2014, 01:05 AM
Thanks TheSilverDark.Well I'm a custom car audio guy by trade (fab for enclosures and interior panels,fibergalss, plexi, motorization, electronics etc). So that no doubt helped me with my first saber. The change from the relativily large to a small hilt was an adjustment but i had a blast making it. I do think i found a new hobby and have already made plans for the next. :)
That's great, I'm a highschool student actually and I'm gonna try to become a mechanical engineer, but I do a lot of prop making when I have the money. For the motorized crystal chamber, do you think it's possible to cut your own spinny...thing...and replace the one in the kit?

snilam
08-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Yes however the gear is very small from the spindle so you have to 3d print it probly

brett
08-04-2014, 05:23 PM
A wonderful saber sir! Especially as your first. Like the shroud over the choke piece very much. And the brass look of the blade holder. I wonder, in reference to saber names, has any Jedi character in the films actually named their saber? It is funny that this habit is so pronounced amongst builders, yet possibly not really the norm (cinema wise) I admit, I found it difficult finding a name for my saber once built. I ended up with my initials and the numbers of the date it was finished. Somehow referring to it as a character in itself felt wrong. But I am obviously in the minority where that is concerned. Good luck in finding a name.

Invisas1979
08-09-2014, 03:56 AM
I'd say that's a stirling first effort.

Curious about the sleeve being cut down the middle? The only thing for me which doesn't fit the asthetic.

I like bob in Latin, but like bob, backwards.... Sutrebor

Good job

snilam
08-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Curious about the sleeve being cut down the middle? The only thing for me which doesn't fit the asthetic.

Good job
ahhh yes that was unfortunately out of necessity. After the powdercoating the sleeve was just a little too tight for comfort. I'd say 50/50 chance it could have slid on or scratch the finish. So I chose to pick the safe route and split the shroud on the back side. It actually looks pretty good in person. I think I did hear somewhere on the boards that Tim can turn the shroud material a little to accommodate added thickness from PC. I'm already planning a second saber so if anyone can clarify if that is true that would be awesome. :confused:

amwolf
08-10-2014, 05:31 AM
If you know you're going to get powder coat (either by Tim or you're going to do it) you can ask him to trim down the MHS parts a bit. I don't think he can trim the inside of the sleeve unless he's gotten some new tech. Means you have to know what the overall plan is when you order the parts.