PDA

View Full Version : Lightsaber Naginata

Bwhalen0119
07-21-2014, 12:36 AM
This is my first time making a saber and my first time posting; so go easy on my Masters.:D

I am aiming to build a Naginata type saber; similar to the Spear/Sword Mage Hawke uses in DragonAgeII (http://youtu.be/750KflE-Yew). Here is a Template render I created. The hilt will be long (38in) so I am designing a way for it to fold in half, clip to a covertec, and then fold back out straight again and be held in place with a sliding shroud. I have already created a Rotating Crystal Camber Unit from designs by this guy (http://youtu.be/azjmAvSdXXs). now i just need to work on the rest.

But anyway, here are two images that I am working toward.

Folded to wear> 10237

Extended to fight> 10238

I look forward to hearing what all of you Master builders have to say about my design. Tips, tricks, and Criticism welcome.

Silver Serpent
07-21-2014, 05:24 AM
Seems plausible. Not sure how sturdy that joint would be. I hope you've got some solid metalworking skills in your belt already, since you'll be doing something I've never seen anyone else do in the saber hobby.

Good luck!

Sidd
07-21-2014, 05:56 AM
I just built a pike myself. you probably will not want it hanging from you belt, its going to be pretty heavy

The one I build I followed this design in this http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?15207-First-build-Light-Yari

but I have my lengths a bit different to mot fit my styles and I only use a MR Yoda board cause i had several on hand

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/snipersidd/Saber%20stuff/Custom%20saber%20builds/IMAG0319_zpsupnhgo8n.jpg

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-21-2014, 07:11 AM
Welcome to the Forums.

Well, unless you are a machinist, I don't think the folding hilt idea will work well. It has been done once before that I know of, but the guy who did it is a machinist and a very experienced builder. Plus as Sidd has said, it will be HEAVY. Just building the straight version would probably be easiest. The plus side is you will have plenty of room for the internals. :D

Sidd
07-21-2014, 10:25 AM
I will add one more thing to the folding hilt idea, if you are actually planning on dueling with it, the joint will break. one thing I noticed right away with dueling with my pike is that the shaft and blade take a serious brunt of the stress. the shaft is one inch thick aluminum but still has some flex to it when dueling. the TCSS shroud is not structural aluminum and it will tear

Arkanjel
07-21-2014, 07:13 PM
To add my $.02, to make the entire pole from MHS parts will be HEAVY! Also, the less joints you have below the working (blade) end the stronger it will be. Love to see what you work out here though!

Sidd: I must have missed that build. Love that fore end.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-21-2014, 07:47 PM
I will add one more thing to the folding hilt idea, if you are actually planning on dueling with it, the joint will break.

That all would depend on how the folding mechanism is constructed. If it's done right, it'll hold up. Running the wires through it will be a different matter though.

Bwhalen0119
07-25-2014, 08:46 AM
WOW, I was not expecting so much feed back. Thank you.

To speak to some of your concerns:
1. The fold mechanism will not be machined aluminum. Therefore I will not need great mechanic skills, just some math.
2. The Fold is solid made of wooden dowel (for now) as a prototype, therefore no wiring goes past the Fold.
3. Because of #2^^, The saber is designed to house all of the electronics (battery, speaker,etc.) in the ?Top? portion of the hilt.
4. The Sliding Shroud is Not the tcss shroud but a Sink tube piece that I am Machining myself.
5. I have taken into consideration the weight of the whole. As most people designing/wielding a pike/yari/naginata/battleaxe will tell you, without that weight; it just feels wrong. Haha But we will see.

Thank you for your interest. I hope to add more Pictures/Vids as the build continues. STAY TUNED!

And as always, May the Force be with you all!

Bwhalen0119
07-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Here is what i have so far folks. VIDEO TIME!!!!

http://youtu.be/RDg9zey16ic

Sidd
07-31-2014, 06:10 AM
Good Job and congrats

Have you don anything to stress test it?
(sorry i have no speakers here at work)

Silver Serpent
07-31-2014, 07:59 AM
Looks good. So long as that sliding shroud section doesn't bend under stress, you should be fine.

On to the rest of the saber! :)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-31-2014, 08:36 AM
Congrats! That's very similar to how the original Pong Krell was done, (minus the shroud part).

Bwhalen0119
08-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Good Job and congrats

Have you don anything to stress test it?
(sorry i have no speakers here at work)

Yes, i did. I braced either end on opposite tables (so that the saber hilt was like a Tight-Rope between two cliffs) I then hung a 10lbs weight from a cable pendulum, then added additional weights. I got to 40lbs (opposing the Fold) before noticeable bow. and 30lbs (with the Fold) before notice able bend. I didnt feel like going any farther than that. I would prefer to only buy all of these parts once.

Seeing as i will not be doing a lot of dueling with this Saber. i dont even know how much stress and average Hit from an opponent would take. I will try beating it with another saber soon, just to be sure it wont bend/shake/Break.

craig139
08-03-2014, 08:32 AM
I just saw your video. Really neat work!