PDA

View Full Version : New Saber Builder, here's what I've got so far

Lord Agelastus
07-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Hey everyone,
I just started looking into all of this stuff earlier today, and have pretty much read my eyes out on what I'll be needing. I've honestly been dreaming of building a custom lightsaber since I was very little (it all started with my ROTJ Luke Skywalker light saber I got for my birthday way back in my single digit days, I loved that thing more than my own life) , I mean I have drawn so many different custom lightsaber hilts in my time that I probably have used up more than my share of paper to come up with a pretty solid idea of what I want. I've used the MHS customizer to put together a pretty solid start in my opinion, and I've come up with two different designs

The first version I came up with is the shorter and less showy version (and by less showy, it lacks the red ring)
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/5081701/SaberBuilder_render1_zpseccf9a34.png (http://s31.photobucket.com/user/5081701/media/SaberBuilder_render1_zpseccf9a34.png.html)

the final version I came up with, I don't know if I'd like the extra bit of length that the red extender adds, but I must admit, it gives great contrast and is my favorite version I've come up with, and is probably how I'll build it in the end
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/5081701/SaberBuilder_renderFINAL_zps943b1372.png (http://s31.photobucket.com/user/5081701/media/SaberBuilder_renderFINAL_zps943b1372.png.html)
(final version, I found out through reading that I didn't have to use the big boxy mount for the AV switch)

I feel like the hilt looks so bulky and evil at the bottom, and sleek and sophisticated at the top and its just cool as can be, like a calm aristocratic evil kind of look.

So that's about as far as I've gotten :p of course plans evolve, and things seem cool at one time and don't at others, so my ideas will probably change between now and actually having the parts in my possession.

So that's as far as I've gotten, I still need to actually fund this project of course, and gather the knowledge to not fudge it up. This blade will be used for dueling since I know my brother will not be far behind me in wanting a custom lightsaber.

Basically, about me, I am an avid star wars fan for as long as I can even remember, and I have been in love with lightsabers (along with the madalorians, no homo) for just as long. I have started fencing this month actually, and feel like I could tie it in to how I wield a lightsaber quite easily once I master fencing a bit more than a complete beginner. I have not studied the canon universe so much, but since Disney killed of all of the current cannon so that their films can just be about whatever (at least so I've heard) I may look into it since I can catch up without any new stuff coming out as soon as I can read the previous books or whatever media it is presented, since I literally know nothing about star wars canon.

Screen name, I love the sith side of things, the dark side is just so cool! Plus red lightsabers maign. Anyway, my mom was a high school Latin teacher, and I took her class for a while, and to keep students involved, she had ancient Roman birth ceremonies for all of her students, including people receiving new names in Latin. The very first part of the name I got (Roman names used to be quite long, and we got parts tacked on with each year we took) was Agelastus. This can mean either "Never smiles", "Serious, stern, or strict", etc... basically because I can be a pretty shy person and I guess that I have a decently serious case of male resting bitch face lol, because people always think I'm angry when I'm just sitting around doing nothing. So pretty perfect for a Sith lord, am I right?

So that's it, I'll keep this thread updated as stuff happens, maybe make a more in depth build thread in a different area since this is just the intro section.

Starwinder
07-21-2014, 05:50 AM
Welcome to the forum and the world of saber-building! Careful ... it's really addictive ;)

I would definitely say go with your second, longer design. You'll quickly find that you'll need all the space that you can get.

Continue reading up and don't hesitate to ask questions!

Lord Agelastus
07-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Thanks man, I have actually settled on the second, I just like that red ring too much to go without, and it lends to the appearance of the saber. Thanks for the advice, I'm not new to electronics, but I kinda imagined that they would fit pretty easy until I started really looking at build logs:rolleyes: I'm pretty sure I'll be pulling out all of my hemostat and small tip soldering skills for this one

Thanks again!

parsaver
07-23-2014, 11:36 PM
I just like that red ring too much to go without, and it lends to the appearance of the saber.!

The "Candy Whine" color....looks just like the color in the MHS builder red. Almost like a translucent red. It goes great with black!