PDA

View Full Version : I want to install a NB v2 in an Ultrasabers Overlord

Mackin944
07-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Hi all! I bought the Overlord saber from Ultrasabers at my local con a few months ago. I had no job at the time, so I couldn't afford one with Emerald sound and all that fancy stuff. I was wanting to install a Nano Biscotte soundcard in my saber, and would like to know any and all parts I would need to do so. Thanks for any help!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-20-2014, 07:18 AM
Welcome to the Forums.

You would need the sound card (obviously), a momentary switch, a main LED, a speaker and a (preferably 3.7V Li-ion) battery pack.

Ty_Bomber
07-20-2014, 07:39 AM
Hi Mackin, welcome to the forums.

At the very least, you will need:

1 litium battery rated at 3.7 volts (the NBs optimal voltage)
A resistor for your led, depending on the color
A momentary switch (the latching one in your saber won't work with the Nano)
A speaker
A recharge port if you want to charge everything internally (And a charger)

That should get you started. Don't neglect to read the user manual a few times before getting started. It is more complicated than a list of parts. You need to study how it all goes together as well. Have fun, and good luck.

Mackin944
07-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Hi Mackin, welcome to the forums.

At the very least, you will need:

1 litium battery rated at 3.7 volts (the NBs optimal voltage)
A resistor for your led, depending on the color
A momentary switch (the latching one in your saber won't work with the Nano)
A speaker
A recharge port if you want to charge everything internally (And a charger)

That should get you started. Don't neglect to read the user manual a few times before getting started. It is more complicated than a list of parts. You need to study how it all goes together as well. Have fun, and good luck.

Thanks for all that!! What size resistor would I need for the green LED?

Jay-gon Jinn
07-20-2014, 11:33 AM
In order to determine the resistor for the blade led, you need know what the specifications are (Brand name, max current rating, etc.) and what battery source you plan to use.

Ty_Bomber
07-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Jay is correct. Part of the reason we recommend you read the manual. The parts I recommended are merely a starting point. Chances are you won't need a resistor for the green (off a 3.7V battery, at least) but you should familiarize yourself with what you are currently using and brush up on the manual first so you have an understanding of how to calculate resistors.

Mackin944
07-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Okay, I believe I have a list of everything I need besides a resistor for the LED. Or should I just set the drive parameters instead?

Here is the list:

-Panasonic Li-Ion 3.7v 18650
-3.7v Li-Ion Smart Charger
-Nano Biscotte V2
-16mm anti vandal short momentary switch green LED ring
-2.1mm power jack
-NB header and wiring harness
-Kill plug style 5
-28mm Bass Speaker

I am completely inexperienced when it comes to circuitry and electronics, so I was hoping someone could set me up with the proper wiring diagram. I also want the kill plug to be functional. I saw a build where removing the kill plug booted up the saber, and that's what I would like to accomplish. I apologize for my noobiness. haha If there's anything else I forgot, let me know. Thanks!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Looks like you have almost everything you need. You will need a resistor for the LED that you have, whatever THAT is.

I had posted these diagrams which should more or less cover what you want to do. The second one looks close to what you want to do. You may need to subtract some of the "extras" but the basis is there and in the NB manual with I recommend you go through a few times.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?16712-Diagram-for-wiring-a-NBv2-with-a-recharge-port-and-accent-LED

Mackin944
07-31-2014, 10:10 PM
I found out that it's a green P4 LED. What resistor will I need?

Jay-gon Jinn
07-31-2014, 10:59 PM
The green P4's had a maximum rating of 1000ma @ 3.5vf, if memory serves, so you would use a 1 ohm, 2 watt, or you may be able to skip it if you adjust the "drive" parameter in the config.

Mackin944
08-02-2014, 12:06 PM
The saber is wired and works wonderfully!! Thanks for all your help! However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it so that when I pull the kill key the ring on the switch lights up. Right now it lights up along with the main LED. I found a few diagrams but they were so messy that they weren't of much help.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-02-2014, 03:03 PM
To have the switch led come on when you pull the kill key, you'll need to wire it to the 3.3v pad on the NB, as FJK shows with the red lead in this picture:
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k543/forgetfuljediknight/WIRING%20AND%20OTHER%20DIAGRAMS/NBV2_RC_zps007e93a4.jpg

Mackin944
08-02-2014, 09:40 PM
To have the switch led come on when you pull the kill key, you'll need to wire it to the 3.3v pad on the NB, as FJK shows with the red lead in this picture:
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k543/forgetfuljediknight/WIRING%20AND%20OTHER%20DIAGRAMS/NBV2_RC_zps007e93a4.jpg

I have the red lead hooked up as shown, so it must be the way I hooked up the negative lead.

Mackin944
08-02-2014, 10:13 PM
10281 Here is the diagram I used which claimed to light the LED in the switch when the kill key is removed. But it doesn't.

If I instead wired it like this one, would it be correct?10282

Martyn
08-02-2014, 11:07 PM
The first diagram takes the negative from the main LED so the AV switch LED will only light up when the main LED does and would be subject to any flicker/ramp effects. The second diagram is how I wired my AV switch, with the negative to the board negative. I can confirm that the AV switch LED will light up once you remove the kill plug if you use the wiring shown in the second diagram.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-03-2014, 10:46 AM
I have the red lead hooked up as shown, so it must be the way I hooked up the negative lead.

The negative would have to be attached to the board negative, or directly to the switchable tab on the recharge port for it to work when the kill key is pulled.