PDA

View Full Version : Custom electronics

JakeSoft
07-07-2014, 06:09 PM
This is a little something I've been working on. I recently ran a full power test and captured video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOg2qFrIjkM&feature=youtu.be

I apologize that the sound is a little quiet. I was using a crap speaker for testing and it was also facing away from the camera. Enjoy.

UPDATE: 10/8/2014
Here is a link to a thread showing it in a saber so you can see how it turned out:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?16950-Pertinax

Dethlore
07-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Fantastic job! I was looking into building my own circuit as well but haven't got the funds to get into it. Are you planning on making more of these and selling them? Or are you willing to share the design and PCB when you're done?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Just a reminder: This forums is attached to a store, that already sells boards that does all this. ;)

Dethlore
07-08-2014, 07:35 AM
oh I know :) Don't want to take any sales away from Tim... but the possibility of having one of these maybe as a DIY kit sounds like tons of fun to me :)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-08-2014, 07:44 AM
To make any of these cards work right, there needs to be coding involved and such, so it's not just solder chip a onto PCB and bam, you're done.

Dethlore
07-08-2014, 07:56 AM
For me, I think the coding would be the easier part honestly... SMD soldering/baking is more tedious for me... but I'm used to coding 8 hours a day so... everyone's different. :)

JakeSoft
07-08-2014, 07:56 AM
To make any of these cards work right, there needs to be coding involved and such, so it's not just solder chip a onto PCB and bam, you're done.

FJK is absolutely right. I literally spent months working on the firmware and it's still not perfect. Not to mention I had to tweak and re-mix each sound file so it would sound decent on this sound chip. It's definitely not plug-and-play, but it's been a satisfying learning experience so far.

As far as selling anything goes: there is nothing to sell. All I did was integrate existing components using wires, pin headers, JST connectors, and lots and lots of soldering. It's like a very complicated version of integrating an MR or cheapie Hasbro board into a saber.

Dethlore
07-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Ok. well still - good job! From my own experience, it sure is rewarding to put things like that together and code it and have a working product in the end!

JakeSoft
07-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Ok. well still - good job! From my own experience, it sure is rewarding to put things like that together and code it and have a working product in the end!

Thanks for the support! If you've got software experience, you'd probably do fine with a project like this (as long as you have the time to invest). The sound quality isn't nearly as good as you'll get from a Plector product, but it's probably at least as good as a cheap toy lightsaber sound board. I like a lot of "custom" in my custom sabers. ;-)

Dethlore
07-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Agreed :D
When I have money and I'm ready to do an MHS saber, I'm definitely going to have to get a Plector. the Hasbro is awesome for now, but the refined look of an MHS needs sounds to match