PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to get FOC without a sound board?

mcpreaches
07-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Is there? I mean I know you can just get a sound board and not wire the speaker or even just turn down the volume but I was wondering if there was another way.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Not likely, as you would need sensors, etc. to detect the FoC.

Ty_Bomber
07-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Yes, there are small drivers that can handle foc without sound, but they are not sold here yet, unfortunately.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Yes, there are small drivers that can handle foc without sound, but they are not sold here yet, unfortunately.

Oh, those. You would need to go on FX for those.

Dethlore
07-01-2014, 08:50 PM
If you want to be ambitious, you can build your own circuit. :) the clash sensor can turn on a transistor that turns on timer like IC that flashes the light a couple times.

Bandit_Grey
07-22-2014, 04:54 AM
The absolute most simple way to do this would be to run a clash sensor in parallel to your LED with a higher/lower value resistor. When the sensor detects a clash, power would be diverted down through the alternate resistor momentarily dimming or brightening the LED. With some discrete logic gates you could even have a momentary switch handle this for blaster bolt deflection... ect...

Obi1
07-22-2014, 01:20 PM
That is a good idea Bandit_Grey had. Maybe a transistor to handle the current, I'm not sure the simple clash sensors (just a flexible wire in a metal casing) could conduct the current used in some of the sabers, but for short bursts it could be just fine. Probably brightening the LED you meant bypassing (shorting) the serial resistor of the chosen LED, siubjecting it to full Vdd? It would also work, and even lower Vth LED's could overvoltage for a short time.

But, to be honest, although it's a nice challenge, for me personally a saber without sound is like one without a soul....and some of the sound board can be muted.

Bandit_Grey
07-23-2014, 02:20 AM
Thats a good point obi. Perhaps if you ran the "normal" brightness at a voltage that is a bit lower and the "flash" brightness at the recommended voltage you could get it to work. Adding a transistor to handle the current would be safer, with this I was just aiming for the cheapest and easiest solution, but if you burn out a 15 dollar LED on the first clash then its not really cheaper huh =D.

Maybe if you used an RGB led (or tri-rebel style led) instead you could have a slight color change happen by routing the battery power to different pins on the led via a clash sensor as opposed to different voltages on the led. Actually, thats probably how these manufactured boards handle it anyway. I haven't really looked to closely at them, but I would assume the cheap ones would just use discreet logic like that instead of a microcontroller to save money/space.

v1b1n
10-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Is there? I mean I know you can just get a sound board and not wire the speaker or even just turn down the volume but I was wondering if there was another way.

You can get these LED Drivers

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Constant-current-LED-driver-P609.aspx

Silver Serpent
10-07-2014, 06:06 PM
I've not used one of those myself, but I thought they supported FoC.

From the store page description:

*optional* STAT and STAT- connect to clash sensor or separate switch to enable flash on clash

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-07-2014, 06:22 PM
I've not used one of those myself, but I thought they supported FoC.

From the store page description:

I've never seen them used that way.

Lord Zen
10-09-2014, 06:14 AM
I wired up a clash sensor (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Clash-Sensor-SW-18020P-P485.aspx) to the STAT and STAT- on the Constant current LED driver (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Constant-current-LED-driver-P609.aspx) in my first stunt saber.

Cannot say I was impressed with the effect. More blink-on-clash.
The LED would go out, flash and then return to its shimmer effect.
There was also a notable delay between the clash sensor connecting STAT and STAT- together and the effect.

Silver Serpent
10-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Ahh. That would be why nobody uses those for the Flash on Clash effect.

v1b1n
10-16-2014, 02:24 PM
I wired up a clash sensor (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Clash-Sensor-SW-18020P-P485.aspx) to the STAT and STAT- on the Constant current LED driver (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Constant-current-LED-driver-P609.aspx) in my first stunt saber.

Cannot say I was impressed with the effect. More blink-on-clash.
The LED would go out, flash and then return to its shimmer effect.
There was also a notable delay between the clash sensor connecting STAT and STAT- together and the effect.

I have seen a LED driver with Clash on Flash which one of the Saber Smiths sell but I am not sure if I should mention it as this forum is for the Custom Saber Shop

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-16-2014, 02:52 PM
I have seen a LED driver with Clash on Flash which one of the Saber Smiths sell but I am not sure if I should mention it as this forum is for the Custom Saber Shop

The driver being discussed is something JQ Sabers has. As to how well it works? I have no idea.

IndustrialAction
10-20-2014, 09:23 AM
I just caught this thread and asked FJK to re-open so I could post. There is certainly a way to do this that would be pretty simple and not expensive.

Here's how to get FoC using the $0.20 clash sensor that TCSS sells (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Clash-Sensor-SW-18020P-P485.aspx)

The clash sensor is a switch. It is normally open. Let's say, for instance, that you use a tri-rebel RRW. You could bridge all of the positives and then bridge the two reds negatives with the appropriate resistor. Then you could wire the clash sensor in with the negative for the white die (properly resistored of course). When the clash sensor is triggered, you'd get FoC. It wouldn't shut off the red dies but you'd definitely see the white flash. It would be better with something that will really pop like a GGB or GGR or something like that but it should work and wouldn't be hard to pull off. And, of course, it could be adapted to any number of multi-die LED options.

Chad
02-23-2019, 05:40 PM
I have some clash sensors and am absolutely going to test this. Have you done this yet? I am really curious what this looks like. Thanks for sharing.