PDA

View Full Version : Now this is Wonky...

Firebird21
11-07-2006, 11:19 AM
I thought the LUX in my Vader decided to crap out on me. There was 4.7V on ether side of the LED (the actual LED, not just the solder points) and there was no light.

I was just fooling around with it and discovered that if I pushed on the LED dome it would light up! It would also "Ignite" when it did that. It would only flash at first but now it's on all the time, however dim.

I've also noticed that it seems to be getting hotter than it used to. I had it on for about 30sec. and the heat sink was already becoming uncomfortable to hold.

I'm thinking it's shorted out under the LED to the mount from possible condensation build up. Any other ideas? Possible fixes? I may take the LED right off the mount.

Edit: Aw crap... It's not doing it anymore... :roll:
I'm going to be pissed if I made a whole topic for nothing! :evil:

xwingband
11-07-2006, 11:25 AM
It's a red LED? Corbin did notice Red's like to ground/short a lot easier... mayhaps.

james3
11-07-2006, 11:28 AM
You may want to take the emitter off of the star, clean it all back up and remount it. It sounds like maybe there is a short on one side of that thing to me.

Mega Wonky! :D

edit-Dang it! anyway, if ya blew it up take some pics and showit off. I know there was a problem with doing red staffs and so far I have yet to run in to it but this is worth exploring.

Firebird21
11-07-2006, 11:28 AM
It's a red LED? Corbin did notice Red's like to ground/short a lot easier... mayhaps.

Yup, it's red. And I remember him saying that and I've noticed it myself.

Firebird21
11-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Sorry James, no explosions yet. It doesn't even show any signs of damage.

Edit: Yup, I think it's dead...

I've lifted it off the mount and nothing.

I gave it direct power from another battery pack and nothing.

Time of death: 1:42PM EST :cry:

james3
11-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Ya know, the edit does not highlight as a new post like it used too.

Bummer.

Welcome to the club Jester. You know you are a full fledged saber builder when you troubleshoot a 10 month old saber/LED. :wink: