PDA

View Full Version : hilt help!

Ros
11-07-2006, 10:34 AM
my first atempt at hilt building using all the extra goodies (sound, lights, switches, batteries) has failed. i wanted to cut away part of my sink tube and put plasic grips in the spaces that i cut away. however my hild turned out to be kind of flimsey and the grips ended up popping out and now the whole thing looks like a pile of scrap metal.

so what i need are some ideas for making custom grips that i can sort of "do myself"!

Do-Clo
11-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Take a look at this site it may be off help to you:
http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/

james3
11-07-2006, 11:01 AM
let me guess, have some windshield wiper blades and you slit the tube to slide them on right?

Firebird21
11-07-2006, 11:04 AM
let me guess, have some windshield wiper blades and you slit the tube to slide them on right?

These work better...

Linky (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=39)

james3
11-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Tell me about it. I had done the windshield wiper thing on some pvc sabers and one of the first pipes I did I tossed in the trash due to playing around with that.

Ros
11-07-2006, 11:13 AM

no sir. i was going for more of an "obi-wan" episode 1 and 2 look. i cut the tube like this

------------\__________/---\___/-------|
--------------------------------------------|

make sense?
it just didn't work out so well....

Lord Maul
11-07-2006, 03:35 PM
it would be far easier for us to help you with actual pictures :wink:

Madcow
11-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Hey Ros,
I know your pain man. I tried to do a saber like that before. It requires that you have a solid inside peice, so your cut sink tube is just decoration. But then it gets hard to fit electronics inside. You might want to go for a simpler design this time. You learn SO much by doing a few sabers.

MC

Ros
11-07-2006, 05:35 PM
yeah i visited the big yellow box today and got some really great ideas for some sabers. i'll get to work on it soon and post some pics when i have them.

Jedi-Loreen
11-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Madcow is right. I tried doing a static saber like that before, but mine was just a belt hanger and the hose was very stiff. I did put a piece of PVC inside it though.

With as thin as a sink tube is, it doesn't take very big holes cut out of it to ruin the structural integrity of a cylinder like that.

The only way I see something like that working is of you did a tube within a tube. You'd need to use a 1.25" tube inside a 1.5" tube and find a grip material that you can sandwich between the 2 tubes. But you'll have to figure out your battery configuration for that, I don't know what will fit inside a 1.25" tube.