PDA

View Full Version : NB weird issue

Zephiranos
06-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Hi everyone!

I just received all my parts and I#m slowly but surely working my way through the electronics. But as i wanted to test the leds (just tapping the wires of led module and batterie to their pads and linking switch and earth with a wire. The thing is, when i touch the earth pad with the - battery wire it does nothing, but when i touch the -led pad with that same - battery wire it lights up (found out accidently).

So I'm a little puzzled, is it normal? Did i mess up? Did they do something special on my NB?

Thanks in advance for any help you might give me

Cheers

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-20-2014, 11:00 AM
It's hard to tell. It sounds to me like you directly powered the LED. Generally when you wire things up, the battery is the LAST thing that gets connected.

Bandit_Grey
07-23-2014, 05:42 AM
If you are confident in your soldering skills, try attaching female jumper connectors to the pads and use jumpers to make your connections instead of soldering directly to the board. That way you can connect and disconnect things easily without risking your connections.

Obi1
07-23-2014, 11:36 PM
I think you did not mess up. If you connect battery- to GND of the NB and the battery+ to the Vdd of the NB, the module is supplied but you still have to turn it on with the switch.
On the other Hand if the battery+ is already connected and you touch the battery- to the LED-, the LED should light up all right, because the LED is connected between LED- and battery+ . The same will not work if you touch the battery- to GND, because there is a transistor between GND and LED-, blocking the contact until the NB is switched on.

It's just a longer description of what Forgetful Jedi Knight already formulated precisely: "It sounds to me like you directly powered the LED"