PDA

View Full Version : saber no longer kicking out sound

goldsaberwarrior
06-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Title pretty much says what this is going to be about. Having an issue with the new Petit Crouton build of mine. So far it's been pretty good. I'm using a latching switch for activation and a momentary switch that's been my lockup/blaster sound switch. I do fight with this saber as well so it takes a couple hits but has not taken a hit to the hilt. Recently after some of my friends and myself were messing around with the saber in question and my other one using a nano board, the saber in question randomly stops making sound. The LED still functions when this happens. I tried turning the saber off and pulling the battery out and reconnecting it since it had done that once before and reconnecting the battery fixed it. This time I didn't do it so i just figured it didn't have a good enough charge on the battery. I tried recharging the battery to full and tried again to no avail on the sound. This time I tried disconnecting the battery and the speaker then reconnecting them both, just incase the speaker had gotten jarred loose. Once more it's had no effect. Sound wise it's acting as if there is no speaker connected at all which makes me wonder if heaven forbid the speaker was damaged somehow. The other conclusion I could see is that I need to perhaps resolder a new connection and redo the speaker connection. everything else seems to be working fine. Any ideas folks?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-16-2014, 03:32 PM
I would re-check all the speaker and board connections, and also make sure the SD card hasn't come loose somehow. After that would be to check the speaker.

goldsaberwarrior
06-17-2014, 01:02 AM
i rechecked the connections and I don't see anything that's broke loose. I checked the sound card as well like you said but the sound card it's secure in its spot. If need be I do have some extra connectors if I need to replace the old ones. I'm going to give it a better once over today and see if perhaps i'm just missing something but so far i've not found a bad connection or anything.

Obi1
06-17-2014, 02:29 AM
In the past I had some issues with the NB (PC would be no different in this matter), sound was still there but weird. I contacted Erv, he proposed to format the SD card and copy the files over again. Afterwards the weird noises were gone. Maybe you can try that. Good luck!

goldsaberwarrior
06-17-2014, 04:07 AM
I had thought of that myself. At this point I'm pretty sure the connections are good as I don't see anything that's come loose. I'm going to try the speaker in my other saber just to be on the safe side and see if it couldn't be the speaker though I'm pretty sure it's not. I also need a quick clarification on reformatting the card. I'm going to assume the worst case scenario and that what's on the card corrupted and there's no way I can save it. The links to download the light meat and dark meat banks on the site say they're for version 1.5 of the PC and older, would it be possible to adapt them to the version 3 like i'm using or would that not work? If that wouldn't work then how can I reload it the card?

Also one other question sort of related to the SD cards. Since I'm going to reformat this gives me an excuse to try some of the other fonts on the saberfont.com page linked from the site here. Would I need to do anything special to adapt them to the PC or should they be good to go. The Ancient Saber font is one in particular that I was wondering about.

UPDATE: I tried connecting my speaker from my other saber to the PC just to see if heaven forbid it was the speaker and low and behold it worked. I reconnected the old speaker just to be safe and once more it wouldn't kick out any sound. I tried the speaker in my other saber running a NB and the NB wouldn't make any sound either. So what i was hoping it wouldn't be it's turned out to be the speaker itself. The solder points still look good and I can't see anything where the speaker appears to be burnt out. not sure exactly what the deal is.

Obi1
06-19-2014, 12:36 PM
Cheers! I'm glad you found the source of error and managed to fix itm
As to sound fonts, go for them! You only need to buy and download them, and of course (after proper formatting) install it like the Meats. I also do not see any reason why the Meats would not work for an older/newer PC, the format was not changed AFAIK.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-19-2014, 12:50 PM
When you back up your old card, make sure you get the configuration files off of it. Those are the most important files to backup and make sure they go back on after you reformat. The fonts should work regardless of version, just make sure you get the font for the right card type (CF/PC/NB).

goldsaberwarrior
06-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the help folks. Good news, my new parts came in today and I got my speaker replaced. I'm glad I ordered 2 of the speakers as I accidentally fried one try to solder it. The space I have to work in isn't exactly the best space to solder stuff in and my cord to the soldering iron got caught on something as I was trying to solder and it made my hand slip and touch the tip to the metal part of the speaker burning out one of the leads and melting part of the speaker. I feel stupid but accidents happen I suppose. Thankfully the 2nd one went smoother. #sabersmithingprobs. The good thing though it's up and running again and I also loaded 2 new sound fonts onto the saber, the Adegan Dual Core and the Ancient Saber.

I do have one final question involving the Ancient Saber font. I loaded it on as I saw it done in the little tutorial video and kept the config file as the video and everyone said to do. When I push the button for the blaster effect using the Ancient Saber about half time time it'll trigger the effect and half the time it'll just go silent until I hit the button again. The Adegan font is fine and the Ancient Saber is the only one that does this. Could I have not loaded the Ancient Saber properly or something not have copied over right, or even is that what it's supposed to do? Sorry if this is a noob question, this is the first time I've loaded sound fonts.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-20-2014, 04:56 PM
I would have to research it, but it is possible you may have a misnamed blaster file or something. Since that was one of the VERY original files from when the CFs came out, it's needed add-ons through the years. What version of PC are you using?

goldsaberwarrior
06-21-2014, 04:52 PM
I'm running a v3 right now. Everything else with the Ancient Saber font is working right, the blaster is the only thing I've had issues with. One thing I question though if it's a misnamed file, then shouldn't it fail 100% of the time since essentially in the eyes of the operating system the file doesn't exist, or at least exist as a blaster sound. What made me wonder if something didn't copy right is while yes it's not triggering right away when i push the aux button, it's still triggering about half the time. Aside from this I'm good to go.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-21-2014, 04:59 PM
The PC has 4 blaster block sounds, and they generally play at random. Also you may need to adjust your lockup setting (probably raise it) if blaster blocks aren't being triggered when you want them.

goldsaberwarrior
06-21-2014, 05:17 PM
I'll try redoing the sound bank to see if that helps and then adjust the lockup setting if I have to. Hopefully that's all it needs.

UPDATE: I tried rolling it back to the Meat bank I had before and then reloaded the Ancient Saber on top of that and it worked fine. I don't think that my computer originally copied it over that well. The good news is that it fixed it for me and the saber is back to normal. I have one tiny gripe still and that's the other 3 blaster sounds don't match that well with the Ancient Saber. Other than that I'm good. Thanks for the help folks. Glad I've finally been able to adapt some to the new tech since I had been away XD.