PDA

View Full Version : Electronics for LED string saber ... whistful thinking (?)

Obi1
06-14-2014, 01:28 PM
I've been thinking about building my first LED string custom saber for a long time now, and now that I finished all the smaller projects around my existing sabers, it looks like I might even have the time for it (after the children already sleep :) )

Now it comes to getting the control electronics for the saber. I already have the hilt, it has a Long Emitter with windows to show the blade, so all in all I have little space inside to cram-fu all the stuff in there. I figured that I could fit in a board from an Ultimate FX, I still have 2 of those, but since they were my first sabers I'm reluctant to sacrifice them (I could say I keep them for the kids, but they will only play with the more sophisticated ones ... those spoiled little devils, they do not know what we would have given even for an Ultimate FX 30 years ago!!!).

I know it's just whistful thinking, but I would like to know how YOU think about it: I wish a NB_LS, i.e. an NB for LED string blades. The NB has a similar price to an Ultimate FX (at least in Planet Europe, I know that in USA they are considerably cheaper), so such a Beauty would be a real alternative to scavenging a Hasbro toy. It offers a lot of extra features, now with the v2.0 even FoC, 2 sound banks, etc.
Would that be something people making LED string sabers might consider as an alternative to rip the board from Hasbro sabers? Feedbacks would be highly appreciated...
(Disclaimer: it's not a market research for any vendor, I'm really curious...)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-14-2014, 02:11 PM
The only board that is "in production" for string blades is the Crystal Focus (LS version) which was designed for string blades. ;)

Obi1
06-15-2014, 11:53 AM
The only board that is "in production" for string blades is the Crystal Focus (LS version) which was designed for string blades. ;)

Yes, I know, and that is exactly the reason I started this thread ;)

Well, to be precise, we have another one: the cheapo Habro boards. And then there is nothing for a couple of light years, and then comes the CF_LS. For my taste, there is a vast gap to be filled.

Point is, for a first trial version of a LED string blade, a CF is a definitiv overkill. I could imagine (now I enter a dream world), that when I finish my first self-made saber (including milling, working with the lathe, weathering, etc... oh boy, still a long way to go) and decide on an LED string saber, I will invest in a CF. But not before.
To be honest, when it comes to feature set, I'm totally happy with a cheapo board which can do the scrolling, and the Hasbro toys do that job. If I get a slighly better board with FoC and enough current capability to drive up to 100 5mm LED's, throw in 2 sound banks and the motion engine, and I'm fully happy. With this there would be - between a cheapo board and the pinnacle of evolution - an upper segment entry level board.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Well, to be precise, we have another one: the cheapo Habro boards. And then there is nothing for a couple of light years, and then comes the CF_LS. For my taste, there is a vast gap to be filled.

To be honest, when it comes to feature set, I'm totally happy with a cheapo board which can do the scrolling, and the Hasbro toys do that job. If I get a slighly better board with FoC and enough current capability to drive up to 100 5mm LED's, throw in 2 sound banks and the motion engine, and I'm fully happy. With this there would be - between a cheapo board and the pinnacle of evolution - an upper segment entry level board.

Since string blades are fairly rare these days, like you said, you have the Hasbro /MR stuff and then you have the CF. For quite a while in this hobby, you had JUST MR/hasbro and then CF's - no PC, no NB, no Igniter, no Spark, no nothing.

Have fun and good luck with this, sounds to me like you might need it.

Obi1
06-15-2014, 01:05 PM
I guess you are right. When I started, all the in-betweens were already available. Demand filled the gap for the emerging market of high-power LED sabers, but it seems the lacking combat readiness of LED string blades left them with only a few fan to make them.

I just might go after all for a CF_LS. I will definitely try out first the cheaper way, but if I'm happy with the string blade, I will upgrade to CF. Slothfurnace's video of his blade scrolling to the rythm of heavy metal music nearly already convinced me I must have one.

Ps.: did everyone give up making LED string sabers combat worthy? Are they really that sensitive, with proper duelling blade materials, padding diffusers etc...?:?:

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Ps.: did everyone give up making LED string sabers combat worthy? Are they really that sensitive, with proper duelling blade materials, padding diffusers etc...?:?:

People found it wasn't fun trying to take them apart to repair them. Because if there is contact, something eventually will happen to at least one of the LEDs, if you are using 100 LEDs, your chances of something happening to one of them, or their connections are pretty good. ;)