PDA

View Full Version : 12mm AV Switch LED polarity

JakeSoft
06-06-2014, 07:16 PM
I recently purchased one of the new-ish 12mm AV switches that the shop started carrying. I was surprised when I hooked up the LED positive and negative that I could get it to light up either way. It didn't seem to matter which way I wired it. Is this normal?

Previously, I used a 16mm AV switch in a build and in that case I had to have the polarity correct or the LED would not light up, as would be expected since it is a diode after all. Are the 12mm switches somehow immune to this?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-06-2014, 07:28 PM
I recently purchased one of the new-ish 12mm AV switches that the shop started carrying. I was surprised when I hooked up the LED positive and negative that I could get it to light up either way. It didn't seem to matter which way I wired it. Is this normal?

Previously, I used a 16mm AV switch in a build and in that case I had to have the polarity correct or the LED would not light up, as would be expected since it is a diode after all. Are the 12mm switches somehow immune to this?

It's possible that this particular manufacturer's switch is more "forgiving". I'll have to check the 12mm I have when I get a chance.