PDA

View Full Version : TCSS Shroud Work?

JMurphy
06-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask a few things about Tim's shroud cutting service and how this is done. I didn't want to bother Tim with questions too much because I don't have any money yet to actually commission anything, so I'm hoping someone in the forum might know a lot about the service and wouldn't mind volunteering some answers.

Firstly I'm wondering about what information Tim would need from me to get the job done. I have a 3D render of the design but would he need to know things like dimensions, and where holes would need to go for connecting the shroud pieces?

Lastly my Design has 2 shrouds on the one main body, would Tim be likely to charge for 2 jobs in having to do 2 shrouds, or would he include both shrouds as the price of 1?

Thanks guys, I know this would be best solved by asking Tim but I can't say how long it will be until I get a budget so I don't want to waste his time so to speak.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-05-2014, 02:04 PM
He would likely need a sketch, with dimensions, hole placement and size (if he's going to do it) and probably the whole hilt design, if you are getting everything at once.

Regarding pricing, you would have to discuss that with Tim when you are ready.

JMurphy
06-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Awesome,
Thanks FJK, I can start getting that organised then. Unfortunately the render was done without any dimensions, so I might have to buy some graph paper to sort out the shroud dimensions. I do have the main body dimensions at least, thanks to the MHS builder.

No problem on the price, it will be interesting to see what he would charge, as the price could easily be below doing the work myself or it could actually be more, based on what he has told me so far.

Oh and I may as well ask, would it be easy enough for me to do the holes myself after the shroud being cut by Tim? Provided I had the tools of course. I have read some recommendations that it is best to do the holes before any shroud work, for various reasons.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-05-2014, 02:24 PM
It all depends on the design. It probably would be better to do the holes first in most cases.

JMurphy
06-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Yeah fair enough, I honestly have the gut feeling that the shroud pieces would be fragile enough that their structure could be compromised, say in a vice. If I were to do the holes after. So with that it may be best for Tim to do everything, or nothing and do it all myself. It would be extremely difficult and just plain silly to ask Tim to do the all the holes, without doing the dremel work...

Regardless i'm rabbling, I may as well start researching accent switch holes… :D

GusManB
06-06-2014, 08:55 AM
You could buy the shrouds material, mark what needs cutting
And send it back to Tim.

I am thinking of doing that for my saber.

JMurphy
06-08-2014, 07:49 PM
That would be a decent idea, only thing is that I live outside the U.S, so shipping could be a pain. I'm actually really excited to give dremeling a go, it's more the possibility of having to buy a drill press before I can start dremeling. Depends on what I can find price-wise I guess, not a huge issue though.

I appreciate you mentioning an idea I hadn't thought of, I'll give it some more thought and see how things end up. Maybe I can even find someone to drill the holes locally, if it turns out to be that much of a pain trying to buy equipment.