PDA

View Full Version : Shroud / Sleeve cutting help and tips

nickpro
06-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Hey guys!

I got 7 feet of pipe to practice cutting with my dremmel for my next hilt. I want to see what I am able to do before I give myself something way too hard to do (which I already did).
This is my first practice ever and first time cutting metal or REALLY using my dremmel.

I used wonderful tips from this forum post for all of you who also need help:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?16531-A-better-way-to-do-sleeves&highlight=make+sleeve

Question: Can anyone tell me a way to get smaller tips? I have small files but they wont let me go smaller than that.

PS. I slacked off on the sanding of the whole pipe itself. I will be taking more time on that in the future

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Usually Dremel sells these huge kits with all types of various sized grinding bits, etc. Also Harbor Freight sells "rotary tool" bits, they had a nice set of diamond dust bits as I recall. Also you would need to get a small set of hobby files, if you don't already have them.

brett
06-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Here here for Forgetful Jedi Knights suggestions, especially the small files. Might I just add that for a first (or thirty first) go that is fantastic work! Looking forwardd to see what you will come up with in the future. I assume the pipe was aluminium? If it was metal, then I am even more amazed!

Silver Serpent
06-03-2014, 06:23 AM
Needle files, the teeny-tiny engraving bits for the dremel, jeweler's saw, those can all help get finer points in your design.