PDA

View Full Version : First PVC build: wiring two different LED's correctly WITH resistor(s)

Redtail
05-31-2014, 08:50 PM
Ok. So, this is difficult mostly because I don't have the parts in hand at the moment, (and I'm having that hardest time with the SIZE of everything) but until I can afford all the parts, I need something to do since my hilt is mostly complete. So I've spent the last two days figuring out how to wire everything. I have how to wire a single LED down, but my saber has a crystal chamber that has it's own LED.

My question is how to wire the LEDs up with resistors. I'm ridiculously cramped on space since this is a 1" PVC hilt. The most batteries I can fit are 4 AAA's set up end-to-end, or a 9v. And I'm fairly certain a buckpuck is out because of my size limits. (if it WILL fit, then I'll go with that, but it's too hard to tell without knowing how big it is.)

The crystal chamber will have a 5mm blue LED, and I'm using a Luxeon Rebel Star Cyan LED for the blade.
NO sound or anything else. Just the LEDs.

Thanks for any help!

Silver Serpent
06-01-2014, 08:28 AM
If you can find one of those cheap LED flashlights that run on 3 AAA batteries, you can scavenge the AAA battery holder out of it. I've got one that fits inside a small PVC section. Don't use 9v batteries, unless you want a dim blade for 5 minutes, followed by a really dim blade for up to another 10 minutes. 9v batteries don't provide enough current for a saber.

With a Rebel and an accent LED, you'll want to wire them in parallel. Connect the positive from your battery to your switch. Run two red wires from the other switch terminal. Put the appropriate resistor on each red wire, then connect that resistor to the corresponding LED. Run a black wire from your LED negatives back to the battery negative terminal.

Also, the Buckpuck is about 3/4" square. It will fit inside a 1" PVC pipe. If you go with a Buckpuck, be sure you have a minimum of 5v from your battery pack or it won't operate properly.

Redtail
06-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Thank you so much :)

My next question: if I were to use two of those little battery packs, what is the best way to connect them?
Also, if I were to use two of them, amounting to 6 AAAs, would that be enough voltage for the LEDs and the buckpuck? If I'm thinking about this right, that would be 9 volts, so I don't think it would be enough. But I could be wrong.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Why not use a singe Li-Ion battery?

Redtail
06-01-2014, 07:29 PM
I don't know enough about Li-ions to feel comfortable using them for my first build since I literaly have no idea what I'm doing. I'm trying to get it all right the first time around, but I'm really just derping around and hoping for the best. I'll upgrade when I know more about wiring in general and Li-ions, but for now, I know AAs and AAAs best lol.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-01-2014, 07:39 PM
I don't know enough about Li-ions to feel comfortable using them for my first build since I literaly have no idea what I'm doing. I'm trying to get it all right the first time around, but I'm really just derping around and hoping for the best. I'll upgrade when I know more about wiring in general and Li-ions, but for now, I know AAs and AAAs best lol.

A Li-ion battery is easy to use, takes up less space than your alternatives, will give you a far better run time, the amount of wiring will be about the same. I strongly suggest you do some research. ;) The best part is, you can recharge it.

Silver Serpent
06-01-2014, 07:41 PM
4 alkaline batteries will power the buckpuck. The buckpuck will power your main LED, so don't fret about extra voltage. You can use the DynaOhm resistor on your accent LED, and it'll likewise control the power to your accent LED.

If you want to avoid li-ion, then 6v from a 4x alkaline pack is acceptable. If you can fit AA batteries in the saber, you'll get a much improved runtime. With AAA batteries, you'll be swapping batteries out fairly regularly.

Redtail
06-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys, I think I understand what I'm going to do. And I'll look into using Li-ions for sure. I just want to know a little more about what I'm doing as a whole. I won't need the saber to have a long battery life or rechargability till next year. In the meantime, I'm learning with what I can afford at the moment.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it. :)

Silver Serpent
06-02-2014, 04:58 AM
If you use the DynaOhm and the Buckpuck, then you'll be able to directly swap your 6v alkaline pack for a 7.4v li-ion pack in the future, with no other wiring issues. Just something to think about for future upgradability.