PDA

View Full Version : FIBER OPTIC BLADE

Saber-King
11-05-2006, 08:47 AM
What is a fiber optic blade :?:

xwingband
11-05-2006, 09:11 AM
If you refer ot Ultra's blade... it's not fiber optics. His is is a film like many already posted about.

A real fiber optic blade would be like those found in the new tech section. Ones like sideglow cable and the like.

Kyp Durron
03-24-2007, 07:38 PM
fiber optics
n. (used with sing. verb)
The science or technology of light transmission through very fine, flexible glass or plastic fibers.

The thermoplastic acetate used in my blades is made up of billions of microscopic fibers meshed into a film. A uniform film with no fibers will not light up (that's why mylar film must be etched with steel wool to produce a similar, yet inferior, effect). The material used in my blades is also made out of the same plastics that are used in side-emitting fiber optic cable. Therefore, I believe my blades do indeed qualify as fiber optic.

I copied this quote from here:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=6696.msg107393#msg107393

It seems like he has a valid point, IMHO.

-Kyp

xwingband
03-24-2007, 07:50 PM
And I would disagree... acetate is a uniform film. The effect is the same with any film.

Mylar works just as well in fact, ask Jonitus (I believe that's who's used it the most). Ultra said he picked acetate because it has less static... not any fiber optic quailties.

I prefer calling what it is... a film blade, not the buzz word he attaches to sell it.

Lord Maul
03-24-2007, 09:14 PM
he he he.

i'm the one who made the original comment about the acetate thing in that thread Kyp :lol:

elrond.406
03-24-2007, 09:39 PM
You are Aluke123? :o

Lord Maul
03-24-2007, 09:41 PM
yup. who are you elrond?

elrond.406
03-24-2007, 09:46 PM
---REMOVED, cuz someone was curious and kept at it...

I'll make a new account soon when I have time away from the TCSS forum (my current primary forum). 8)

xwingband
03-25-2007, 05:08 AM
BAH!!! Why are you guys cross posting my posts!

I don't appreciate it at all.

Ultra, I don't mean any offense by this. I prefer the UltraFilm name. To me it gives a fiber optic effect but really isn't fiber optics. I can picture some person thinking their blade could just be popped out and then used to transmit information or something. :lol:

My reaction when you first used "fiber optic" to describe the blade I was intrigued everyone who'd tried fiber optic cables said it sucked. Then I find out it's really a film... it was a disappointment to my expectations. Most use the connotation for the stuff like side glow cabling. That's why "fiber optic" is a buzz word to me.

Jay-gon Jinn
03-25-2007, 11:43 AM
This is a fiber optic blade using side-emitting cable:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/LuxSaber-blue-3.jpg

The same blade again:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/LuxSaber-blue-5.jpg

Notice how it dims in the middle? That's because the Luxeon led just doesn't have the output to properly light the side-emitting fiber optic cable. It's designed to be lit with a 150 watt metal-halide lamp at either end of the cable, or looped back to the single light source. And most of the light transmitted through the cable still goes to the end, not out the side.

Here it is with a green K2:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/luxsaber_MR_board_final_pics_2.jpg
If you look closely, you'll notice that the blade is translucent. It's green, but you can still see through it, it doesn't look like a solid "energy beam." It is also very heavy. So, unfortunately, what X-wing said about them sucking is dead on....Even so, I'd like to see one of the UltraBlades in person, I hear they are very good, and look like they have a pretty even light distribution, with little fade-out in the middle.

UltraSWG
03-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Fiber optics are not exclusive to cables. Just because the blade doesn't use "cables" does not mean it's not a "fiber optic blade".

I'm sorry if you disagree, Xwing, but it doesn't make you right. Once again, you speak as if you're an authority on a subject in which you know very little. You don't know the exact composition of the film in my blades. It's not just simply acetate; pure cellulose acetate wrinkles too much to be used in blades. I doubt you would spend the time and money to have a molecular analysis done. No one knows what I use but me, so really, I'm the only authority on the subject.

BTW, you should go read up on the Mylar diffuser thread a little, you'll find that only after etching the Mylar with steel wool did it have any light transmitting properties. The only film that worked without prep was polypropelyne, which is also a fiber-formed film, not a true extruded film. But as I said before, polypro produces so much static, it's impossible to work with in an industrial environment. This is light we're talking about here. A pure flat film will not magically light up, that's 7th grade science.

So let's put this issue to rest once and for all:

fiber optics
n. (used with sing. verb)
The science or technology of light transmission through very fine, flexible glass or plastic fibers.

And a definition of acetate?

"one of the most important forms of artificial cellulose-based fibers"
"one of the first synthetic fibers, often called simply acetate"

So let's see, billions of microscopic plastic fibers formed into a film which transmits light... seems to fit the definition of "fiber optic" to me.

vortextwist
03-26-2007, 01:13 PM
I watched how it's made the other day and they made fiber optic cable and they used all glass. they used a variaty of gasses to line the cable but no fibers were used, only glass.

xwingband
03-26-2007, 02:51 PM
EDIT: I don't care anymore...

Call it what you want.

supertrogdor
03-26-2007, 03:07 PM
I greatly encourage everyone to make thier own diffusors or buy from Tim... This is after all his store, and we should keep the threads on topic at least as far as the build it yourself or buy from this nice store aspect of things, what ho?

Marsupial
03-26-2007, 07:49 PM
I have a few of the ultrablades, and really like how they look.

I wouldn't think fiberoptics when I look at the diffuser inside there, but I understand the concept that it diffuses like fiberoptics... being true fiberoptics or not; I don't quite mind. Its a good blades for a decent price. Plus they are covered by Ultra's warranty :)

Ryma Mara
03-26-2007, 08:01 PM
But for a 32" blade? to short for just about anything IMO.

UltraSWG
03-27-2007, 02:19 AM

Are you talking to me? My blades normally come in 36", not 32. I can make blades in any length.

UltraSWG
03-27-2007, 02:23 AM
I watched how it's made the other day and they made fiber optic cable and they used all glass. they used a variaty of gasses to line the cable but no fibers were used, only glass.

Fiber optic cable is just one form of fiber optic technology. A fiber optic christmas tree isn't made of glass, either.

Ryma Mara
03-27-2007, 03:42 AM
Wellits just that ive only seen 32" and 28" blades for sale on your site. :?

UltraSWG
03-27-2007, 03:52 AM
Wellits just that ive only seen 32" and 28" blades for sale on your site. :?

Ugh... thos are typos, I'll have to talk to my web guy... again... In the actual listings, my FX and Stunt blades are 36" and the UltraKids blades are 32"

Jay-gon Jinn
03-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Fiber optic cables also are made from plastic fibers. (optical grade acrylics) The cable in my blade is a solid core plastic cable.

What's wrong with 32" blades? I just cut one down to 33" because it lights better, and improved the balance on the saber it goes to. The blade for my 8 yr. ols son's saber is about 28", and works well for him. It's a matter of personal preference, I guess. on that note, I'd still like to see more 3/4" thin-walled blades offered by someone....

LordArgyll
03-27-2007, 10:11 AM

Tell that to the samurai. Most katana are shorter than that.

My blade is 32" locked into the hilt. I meant for it to have roughly the same handling as a katana (it's still a bit too long when hanging at my side -- grazes the ground instead of touching my ankle.) Bigger isn't always better. Smaller and faster can be just as good as longer reach and more power.

It really is a matter of personal taste and style.

Admittedly, I'd like to do a light-claymore one day. ;D

Dregan
03-27-2007, 11:17 AM

Tell that to the samurai. Most katana are shorter than that.

My blade is 32" locked into the hilt. I meant for it to have roughly the same handling as a katana (it's still a bit too long when hanging at my side -- grazes the ground instead of touching my ankle.) Bigger isn't always better. Smaller and faster can be just as good as longer reach and more power.

It really is a matter of personal taste and style.

Admittedly, I'd like to do a light-claymore one day. ;D

My real (read - functional, as in cut bamboo with, not a shop-at-home special) katana has a 1" kissaki and a 27" nagasa, for a total blade length of 28". From the habaki to the kashiragane is 14", making the total length 42" (before the saya and kojiri) - my blade was made by a master blacksmith in Pittsburgh who specialiazes in this type of sword, and is an almost exact copy of a genuine, 800-year old katana, save that I have a different tsuba, and different color saya and maki****asame.

Just to give some accurate dimensions.

Novastar
04-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Dregan, that sounds HELLLLAAA sweet!! oops, I said hella. Man, I flashed back to when I was 20 or something... :)

As to blade lengths and hilt lengths for lightsabers, the only things I find most relevant are:

1. Personal preference... which leads to:
2. Balance preference... which leads to:
3. Altering a blade length or hilt length in order to achieve a better balance.

With electronics in the hilt and all sorts of things that already play into weighing an entire saber down--it is USUALLY unlikely (usually) that people will want to ADD weight to the hilt... they would likely prefer to lose weight on the hilt.

Since that is not always possible (given wiring/tight space/maybe not being able to shave off much metal), the easiest way to further balance the saber to preference--is to change the blade length. Whether having a longer blade or shorter one achieves what you prefer.

This makes it easy to find the balance point that you like best. And you can do it in seconds.

Granted, in some ridiculous cases, your hilt may be so heavy... that only a (let's say) 45" blade would balance it where YOU want it. So... that's not so great. But that is why design is so important. :)

Any I've not found ANY saber to be like that... uh... yet. Enter Corbin's Killer Penny... GREEEAAAATTT! Heavy! hehehe

vortextwist
04-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Well I got one of ultra's blades with an apprentice saber today. Looks fairly cool. The blade brightness didn't change from the starO that's in the saber to my lux 3. The only real complaint is the blade is hella thin. The od is 1 inch but the blade thickness is only.071 onch or 1.8 mm. I thought it was just a recycled mr blade but the od is too big. The inside was covered in hot glue. (to keep the diffuser in) I'm sorry, "FIBER OPTICS"

Lord Maul
04-17-2007, 06:25 PM
ultra's blades apparently don't need to be as thick because he uses some "reinforcing fibers" to make them way stronger

vortextwist
04-17-2007, 06:28 PM
ultra's blades apparently don't need to be as thick because he uses some "reinforcing fibers" to make them way stronger

LOL, he might be talking about he diffuser. but are flimsyer than an mr.

Lord Maul
04-17-2007, 06:35 PM
no, i'm dead serious vortex. his blades are supposedly "reinforced" to make them uber strong

vortextwist
04-17-2007, 06:43 PM
well them maybe it's the globs of hot glue at the bottom. :lol:

fau-pa ramid
04-17-2007, 07:37 PM
if there is a miror in the end cap of the blade does it look like there is a lightbulb in the top when you turn it on?

Novastar
04-18-2007, 01:54 AM
I have several of Alex's (Ultra's) "fiber optic blades", and I can safely say that the polycarbonate tube is not much different from the next.

1" OD with around a 3/4" ID will get you pretty great strength on a blade. Although the ID does not have to be "perfect". You just don't want it MR thin if you plan on dueling like a monster (such as Balance of Power crew style)...

As to the diffuser film, well... in order for me to get the correct balance on one of the blades I bought, I had to cut the blade down. When inspecting the film inside, I suspected it could get hairy.

Trying to remove the hot glue was TOUGH. My thoughts were "I wonder if the hotglue blocks some of the light anyhow!! Hmm. Well, cutting the blade WITH the film intact certainly can be rough on the film. However, I simply pulled it out, re-rolled it and stuffed it back in. I had to cut off a section that had crinkled though! I didn't bother re-gluing... just put a small amount of clear tape, as I rarely remove the blade anyhow...

This cutting issue doesn't occur with Tim's diffusers as far as I know. I've cut several blades with the diffuser intact. No problems. Then again, you can easily remove Tim's film in a second and replace it with whatever.

This is not to say either is "worse" or "better". It is merely to say there is a difference.

For me, here's a comparison with + & - aspects:

+ Ultra's film gives a SLIGHTLY more even look...
+ Ultra's film gives a "metallic" outside look...
+ Ultra's film gives an outer "glow"...
- Ultra's film can be damaged if you try to cut the blade or change out the film
- Ultra's film makes the blade SLIGHTLY heavier
- Ultra's film is a pain to re-roll. Just the nature of that kind of thing! Corbin's was a bit too, but Ultra's is tougher...

+ TCSS film is more "solid" and simple
+ TCSS film can be removed easily with little to no consequence
+ TCSS film gives a fairly even glow--a little dim spot (which COULD be fixed I suppose)
+ blade is easy to cut with no problems
+ near-the-emitter "blade plume" is a bit more noticeable. And much more so on Corbin's film (duh--more light escapes!) :) But it's cool. :D
- no outer glow
- no metallic outer look
- a bit less even light diffusion over Ultra's

vortextwist
04-18-2007, 02:56 AM
it's got a reflective disk. And the blade I got is MR thin.

Ryma Mara
04-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Yeah I am very dissapointed about the whole thing

supertrogdor
04-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Ryma, that is something you should take up with ultra, not discuss here on Strydur's forum.
there is a difference between comparisons of several, and beating down one in particular.