PDA

View Full Version : LED blade idea

Enolmano
11-05-2006, 04:53 AM
you know this massive coloured blades that randomsabers sells? these that seem to be some kind of massive glass or something...
How about to have a luxeon light up any of those? Anyone tried that?

EDIT: no offence to you Tim. This was just an idea popping up in my head

Do-Clo
11-05-2006, 06:35 AM
I have worked with colored rods and tubes before and with the colored rod it is hard to get light to travel to the end of the rod and have an evenly lighted blade. The colored tube does a nice job but without a diffuser it is hard to get the blade to look right so you end up with a colored tube and diffuser to even it out so you might as well use a clear tube with a diffuser and a colored led. The one way colored tubing would work out well would be with a white led and a diffuser and then the colored tube to produce the desired blade color. The only big advantage to colored tubing is during full daylight your blades shows color without even being lighted.

Firebird21
11-05-2006, 06:42 AM
If you're talking about these...

http://randomsabers.com/images/blade_colors.jpg

I'll tell you exactly what they'd look like...

It would look like the Clear Hasbro Anakin saber (the color changing one).

The reason I say this is because there is nothing in or on the blade to disperse the light going threw it. So it would only light up the scratches, imperfections and dust on the blade and not look as impressive as you may think.

The best way to get those blades to light up would be to sand the outside with 800-1000 grit paper (wet) so the light has something to reflect off of. But then you'd loose that Liquid look to the blade. But you may get a cool coring effect like Corbin's blades. That's something I'd be interested in seeing.

james3
11-05-2006, 06:50 AM
They are also 3/4" and acryllic.

Not really made for dualing. but Jester has an awesome idea though.

Firebird21
11-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Not really made for dualing.

I just figured that was a give-in...

...but Jester has an awesome idea though.

OK, Who's got the $$ to burn here to try it?!?

Do-Clo
11-05-2006, 07:20 AM
Those are solid rods so it is a pain to get light to travel to the end, with those the lower the light level of the led the more even the look.

xwingband
11-05-2006, 07:42 AM
http://www.rlsasabers.com/blades.htm

Those would be better. Insert diffuser and go. :) It'd still be a display saber though. May provide some nice lighted up shots though at night while still making a good day shot.

Do-Clo
11-05-2006, 08:19 AM
After taking some outdoor daylight pictures of my staff saber it was very clear that you need some color that can be seen in daylight for pictures.

I have considered getting a couple of transparent red tubes and use corbins blade film for my staff saber for daylight photos. I will post pictures of the blades when I get the material to make them.

Jonitus
11-05-2006, 08:59 AM
If you could get the colored tubing in 3/4" and sand it properly, you might have the basis of a decent dual-tube saber blade. Corbin's film in the colored 3/4", the 3/4" slipped into the 1" polyC.

Thoughts?

xwingband
11-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Having seen it on EL, I'd be curious to see the results of it. A dual tube would be even neater.

The EL Parks I saw was rather neat but the white EL made the Red PolyC pink. :?