PDA

View Full Version : Econo boards from 2014 electro saber box - mace windu

Dethlore
05-21-2014, 12:04 AM
I apologize if this has already been said, but I haven't seen anything regarding econoboards from the latest stock of cheap sabers.
Just picked up a Mace Windu Electronic Lightsaber, I believe it is from ROTS, but it doesn't say on the box. The box says "Battle Action Sound & Lights and is a dark blue color.

I've searched everywhere for those old sabers and all I can find is the new battle action sound and lights for vader and windu. I have heard they also have anakin, but I haven't seen them.

Disassembly is just like the others. Just need to dremel/cut the ends along the seams and the hilt comes apart in two. It's so clean that I will probably wire the general lights back in there so my kids can use it.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the soundboard is much smaller than what I've seen in all the 2010 pictures on here. Not as long and skinny as the ObiWan, only slightly wider and much shorter. Sounds are all great except 2 of the swing sounds are pretty short with only one longer sound.

The motion sensors will definitely be replaced by the ones sold here on TCSS and pick up a higher quality speaker from here as well.

My only current issue now is that I only have N-Channel Mosfets in my drawers... and it doesn't work the same as your n channel transistors, so I have to drive it off the speaker wire at the moment. I like the flash on and off so I'll need to get a P channel fet or n channel transistor - whichever I find first :)

Here are the pictures of the soundboard I opened up tonight.

Silver Serpent
05-21-2014, 04:50 AM
Looks like its basically the same board as the older econo boards. Make sure you redo all the wiring. Those have notoriously bad soldering jobs from the factory.

Dethlore
05-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Yep, the old tutorials work exactly the same for this. Just seems like they got wise and made their boards smaller.
Thanks for the tip on the soldering. You can see in the pictures how they've used too much solder. Cheap mass production from my experience uses low grade solder that has lower electric conductance and higher temperature threshold.

It was almost shameful opening up this Mace Windu saber... my kids were having so much fun with it. But they're patient and know that I will be helping them build their own custom sabers.

oh - and I love the calculator in your sig! I have used it many many times over the past few years :D