PDA

View Full Version : First Saber-NB Build w/ Purple Blade

HopJedi
05-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Ok, here it goes. I have always wanted one of the Force FX sabers, and then accidently stumbled on the whole world of custom sabers a couple months ago. Since then I have been trying to do my best to read up on everything, but I do find my head spinning at times. I was going to just start small and do a really simple stunt saber, but in all honesty my wife will probably only let me get away with one build, so I figured I better go for broke on this first one. I have settled on doing a nano biscotte build, with foc and a recharge port. To further complicate things, I want to do a purple blade, so will be getting the tri-rebel start RBlue/Green/Red, blending the RBlue and Red with hopefully the appropriate resistors (Help me!), and using the green for the foc.

Here is my part list, with various questions. Figured I better at least get my list checked out! Totally open to suggestions on my hilt design, and looking for advice on every single piece of wiring I need. I am completely useless at soldering, but am willing to learn, as it looks like it will be necessary, I am going with as much MWS as possible though.
Blade:
- LED 36" show blade Corbin style, quad-wrapped, bullet shaped.

Hilt:
- LED blade holder style 10 (although 12, 18, and 19 also appeal to me for this build, thoughts?)
- 4" Deep fluted double female threaded connector (PC'd wrinkle black)
- Double Male Extension (PC'd Dark Purple, rendered red in the picture due to lack of purple option in the builder)
- 4" Double Female Grooved (Will be using brass screws in the holes)
- Pommel Style 4

Electronics:
- Nano Biscotte SMv2
- Power Xtender 2.0
- NB Header and Wiring Harness
- MWS Recharge Port
- Premium 28mm Speaker
- Luxeon Tri-Rebel Star (RBlue/Green/Red)
- Luxeon 18deg Tri-Rebel Star Lens
- Star Thermal Tape Pad
- MWS Short Momentary 16mm AV switch-nickel Green Ring (going on double male middle section)
- Resistors to achieve purple?
- Other necessary wiring?

Miscellaneous:
- 8-32 x .3" Gold thumb screw
- MPW Clip
- Brass MPS Insert style 6 (hoping to use this for recharge port, ok when also running a speaker?)
- Kill Plug Style 5 (Black)
- Brass machined button for covertec clip
- 8-32 x 1/4" socket head
- Brass bezel for illuminated switches
- MHS speaker mount v4
- Chassis disc style 1 with holes (how many of these do a need and with what rods?)
- Acrylic Chassis Disc for NB and 18650 pack

There is what I have so far, thanks in advance for the help in pulling together the electronics details for this one, I think I am on the right track though! Unfortunately this all comes to about $400, which I may have to do in a couple stages to keep my significant other happy!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Welcome to the Forums!

I don't see anything glaringly wrong with your shopping list so far.

For a Purple, you would likely have to use a resistor that is either 2 Ohms/1 W or 2.2 Ohm/1W (there store has 2.2 Ohm/5W which could work, but it is large. You would need to experiment to see which "Purple" you like better.

For chassis disks, you would need at least 2 threaded rods. I'm not sure how long of a spacer rods you might need offhand. You will need wire because what you want to do will require some soldering on your part. You will also need some shrink wrap to cover up your solder joints where you attach your resistors.

I would spend your free time reading up on things around here to help make this "easier" on you.

Good Luck!

HopJedi
05-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it! I clearly have a lot to learn on the electronics/wiring end, just reading as much as I can. I may end up just ordering my hilt and then researching/saving some money for the electronics. Does the hilt design seem sound, I shouldn't run into any problems fitting everything? And is the kill key coming through the pommel insert an ok option when running a speaker or would I be better off doing something through one of the holes on the double female grooved section?

Silver Serpent
05-19-2014, 05:36 PM
The brass bezel and the short momentary AV switch don't work together. The bezel will hold the switch out too far to allow it to be attached securely.

I don't see an 18650 battery listed, though I do see the chassis discs for holding it.

For soldering, I'll send you to erv's soldering tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOdnGUMi7lQ It's the one I used when I started out, and he hasn't steered me wrong yet.

HopJedi
05-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Good catch, I forgot to list the battery, but yes, I will be going with the 18650. And thanks for the heads up about the bezel. Would a short AV switch just fit flush in the double male extension I have?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Good catch, I forgot to list the battery, but yes, I will be going with the 18650. And thanks for the heads up about the bezel. Would a short AV switch just fit flush in the double male extension I have?

If you order the right hole service from Tim it would.