PDA

View Full Version : 5w breakthrough?

Darth_Dadderall
11-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Hey guys, I've made a discovery that may facilitate the use of 5w LEDS in the standard size saber.

I'm a computer repair tech, and last week I found a part. A Sunon laptop fan, 2cm square and one cm thick. It's a 5V, .3W three pin model that could conceivably be incorporated into a next-gen driver board. Now I need someone to machine a heatsink with dispersal fins and screw points for this bad boy...

xwingband
11-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Others have proven that a 5W can be run with the standard holder and adapter... same with the MHS system.

I'd still like to see it as it may be a really neat option. If it can handle some stress of moving it may be good for even higher wattages.

Pirate King
11-04-2006, 08:59 AM
and the fan could possibly add more cool sound effect.

Darth_Dadderall
11-04-2006, 09:04 AM
It's a laptop-rated fan, which means it can handle movement, and the frame around the fan assembly has mount points for screws, so it can be securely fastened. My main concern at this point is finding a working (!) plug to match it so I can get the wire voltages. I'm pretty sure they're 5,3 and ground, (it's a yellow/black/red code schema)

Dregan
11-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Sunon also makes a 17mm fan, which fits much better into an MHS. I have one that I put that fan in. I posted about it a while ago, while I was sketching it out.

Sunon is also developing a blower in that same size range, and that would be the ideal solution for inside an MHS.

Whichever you get, be sure to get their vapor-bearing system. No micro-bearings to worry about breaking while dueling.

Darth_Dadderall
11-06-2006, 02:06 PM
You don't happen to have a link to a wiring guide resource for these little guys, do you?

Dregan
11-06-2006, 05:16 PM
The Sunon 17mm is a 5v only application. The lager fan (20mm and above) have some variance.

Here's the wiring diagram I used for the one with the 17mm 5v fan:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6736/saberwiringjf9.jpg

Note that I used a voltage regulator instead of a resistor, and am running at 5v across the project, not 4.5, as indicated.

I reccomend the 17mm because it fits into the MHS with only minor trimming of the corners. Besure to vent the saber to allow for air flow, and to keep the voltage regulator and it's heatsink downwind of the fan, so it gets cooled as well.

xwingband
11-06-2006, 05:50 PM
I think he means something that will tell him which wire is which coming out of the fan.

Darth_Dadderall
11-06-2006, 05:58 PM
True: There's three wires in the set, red yellow and black. Black I presume to be common ground and the other two are hot voltages.

james3
11-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Dang! Am I the only one 'round here that just goes for it?

Take a single 1.5 volt battery apply power to it :D If that don't do it use two.

I still do not understand the fascination with the fans. Are you guys planning on drilling holes all over the place to actually make air movement?

Total overkill if you ask me.

987654321a
11-06-2006, 07:26 PM
agreed with james. we have already said that even the normal mhs without the ribbed section can support the 5 watter.

Dregan
11-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Yeah, but it's cool to see how complicated I can make something and still have it work (slight pun intended...)

Besides. I like a slight tactile feel from the hilt. Yes, I could use a force resonator, but that's too much vibration (IMHO). Also, that's wasted energy that could be better put towards something else, thus increasing overall efficieny and elegance of the system. As an added benefit, virtually any electrical system runs better and longer if it can run cooler. Yes, I'm picky. Yes, I'm a perfectionist. Yes, I was raised by an engineer and a teacher.

On all my fans (I ordered 10 of each, the 17mm and the 20 mm) there's only a red wire and a black wire. I would suspeect that the yellow is a signal wire, probably built to spec for the laptop manufacturer. If you order the fans directly from somewhere like Digi-Key, you'll get the more "standard" configuration, black/red.

Scrat
08-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I guess a larger heatsink would be better than a fan (and the electronics filled hilt won't help with air circulation unless you drill everything...)

(woah my 1st post here :D )

Novastar
08-12-2007, 03:44 PM
I do like the idea of a fan possibly being installed in order to help future "brighter" sabers, but I have to say... as LED tech improves, we'll probably continue to see brighter light with less voltage requirements, AND be able to successfully heatsink without using up junkloads of aluminum taking up space.

Additionally, copper is a great material if you need even more heat distribution, and there are others as well--although expensive.

Finally, I look forward to the day where the ENTIRE blade mount/sink/emitter acts as one giant heatsink--if it is all one single part.

987654321a
08-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Just put dry ice in your saber and your good to go :D

lol

ok seriously I dont even think a fan is needed for brighter LEDs. Liquid cooling anyone? ok to get serious again, think about it, unless you have a large hilt, or a backpack full of batteries I doubt we can get over at least 15 watts to need a fan.

Novastar
08-12-2007, 03:54 PM
In a short while, 14.4v will be a very easy setup to come by in a saber. Also, 14.4v Li-Ion is really more like 15v or 16v initially.

It's possible even now, by placing 4 of the 18650s, each in pairs (double barrel "shotgun" style), one in front of the other. That would give you 2400mah also.

You could go with the smaller 14500 series and still get decent runtimes as well.

987654321a
08-12-2007, 03:55 PM
oh right, forgot bout that haha.