PDA

View Full Version : New to this... and yet not, at the same time

Dethlore
05-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Hello all,

I have been researching the forum for a while now just getting ideas and putting together parts lists and what not. My first experience was the modular hilt builder system. I am an avid SWTOR gamer and wanted to do a legit Sith Warrior costume for Halloween. Every legit Sith needs a legit lightsaber. I so very much want to use the modular hilt system, but I"m poor due to my many many other hobbies, house, family, and school, so I'm building my first saber out of PVC.

The hilt is almost done, I'm just shy a soundboard and button/switch placements and the blade. I'll be picking up an Obi Wan with DVD Clone Wars saber at Target tonight, since the OW seems to be the favorite economy chip due to slim footprint and array of sounds. I have a 3up Deep Red Luxeon Rebel driven with a self built constant current regulator. I have intermediate skills with electronics and soldering, experienced in building custom high powered handheld lasers (1 - 2 Watts) and custom LED mods in xbox and wii controllers.

I'm excited to be a part of the community and help where I can as well as get help when needed.

Goodbye! :)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-15-2014, 09:30 AM
Good work. Welcome to the Forums!

Silver Serpent
05-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Indeed. Welcome to the forums! Your electronics and soldering skills will serve you well here.

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-15-2014, 04:32 PM
Good looking PVC saber design...don't be surprised if you come back to build a MHS saber later, this hobby can be addictive and many people find that building just one saber isn't enough... ;)

Welcome aboard and MTFBWY

Dethlore
05-16-2014, 08:38 AM
Good looking PVC saber design...don't be surprised if you come back to build a MHS saber later, this hobby can be addictive and many people find that building just one saber isn't enough... ;)

Welcome aboard and MTFBWY

hahahaha I have absolute FULL intention of building an MHS saber in the future. :) I will most likely build a half dozen pvc sabers... couple for me, kids, family... I'll know EXACTLY what I want when I decide to spend a bit more $$$.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

RavenXp
05-16-2014, 09:09 AM
You could do what I've been doing with my first build and buy the parts over time. The hardest part is the wait to have everything to build with.

Dethlore
05-16-2014, 09:49 AM
You could do what I've been doing with my first build and buy the parts over time. The hardest part is the wait to have everything to build with.

I did think about doing that... but I'm an impatient impulsive DIYer so I'd just save up until I can just do it in big chunks. I happen to have lots of PVC laying around, so it was available and easy. :) Helps me realize things that I like and don't like as well so when I do build MHS, I won't second guess my design decisions.

RavenXp
05-16-2014, 10:48 AM
I did think about doing that... but I'm an impatient impulsive DIYer so I'd just save up until I can just do it in big chunks. I happen to have lots of PVC laying around, so it was available and easy. :) Helps me realize things that I like and don't like as well so when I do build MHS, I won't second guess my design decisions.

Yeah, the wait isn't easy. Especially when getting powder coated parts from Tim, I'm sitting at the 3 week mark since I ordered the parts :rolleyes: . I think he got backlogged because of the May the 4th sale. Got about a month and a half till I have all the parts I need on order.

Dethlore
05-20-2014, 02:55 PM
some day... I'll get that done. :)

So... although Target says they have that Obi Wan saber in stock, come to find out that they use the same item number for ALL their electronic sabers... :p so I currently can only get my hands on the Mace Windu, Darth Vader, or Anakin electronic sabers.

EDIT: I ended up getting the Mace Windu saber and made a post with pictures in the Econo Sound forum. The size on the new sabers is impressive if people are still interested in doing econo boards.