PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Questions - Blade/Drivers/Sound/Vibration

vpr
11-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Please forgive me if I sound like a complete newbie, as I'm pretty new to all of this. If this is the wrong board, feel free to move the topic to the correct one, thank you.

I'm about to get involved in creating my first saber, and I'm planning on constructing it myself, instead of doing a conversion of a MR... Because of this I have a few questions:

First off, I'm planning on getting a MHS hilt. I'm living and working in China right now, so coming up with the tools to create my own hilt is difficult to say the least. So in order to get something "different" from a movie replica, I've decided to go this route. This brings me to question number one and two:

1) Do you know if the new fiber optic blades of Ultra's will fit in/on a MHS hilt? I like these blades a lot, and if they will fit, I think I'll be going with one of those.

Since I'm living in China, I've decided to take advantage and equip my trusty new saber with Erv's sound module, because from what I've read on various forums it's considered one of the best. Due to the whole not shipping to the US, I would like to atleast have one of his boards. Does anyone know if it will fit inside a MHS?

I'm still in debate over whose driver to use, I've narrowed down my options to Corbin's or Erv's, but now I read Ultra is coming out with one too... Thoughts? I know Corbin's is highly recommended and even sold here, but I like to think about all the options :)

Finally, I'm planning to hopefully be able to fit in one of Corbin's force resonators for some tactile feedback. Is this simply a novelty that gets annoying after much use, or is it worth it?

Thanks agian, and I hope that these questions weren't too dumb.
~vpr

xwingband
11-02-2006, 09:43 AM
These are actually very good question. You gone around looking for quite a bit too. I wish all newbies did that.

Ultra's new blades are too large for the MHS. With sanding they would fit though. Now the bad news... you will lose the extensio/rectraction with his blade. You NEED a coring blade like Erv's or Corbin's, otherwise it's just a fade in/out. If you didn't know Erv's is essentially a combo of the two. He uses PolyP (very similar to Ultra's acetate) inside Corbin's film.

While I believe it would be possible to get Corbin's latching board to work with Erv's sound I bet you'd have some compromises. Like Erv's uses the accelerometer to determine clashes, but Corbin's needs a momentary switch or shock sensor. For seamless work of the sound and light I would recommend Erv's combo of both boards. You'd pretty much be stuck e-mailing both trying to get it to work out since this is not a normal configuration.

Ultra's board is a wildcard in my book right now. To me if it is only what I know now, a switchable amperage output and sounds, then it'd be a great alternative to MR board. If he has the extension/rectraction then it'd certainly be even better. I'm not sure he'd include that kind of feature though as his new film blades don't make use of it. Time will tell with that...

Resonators: I'd say the constant hum will get old. The kicks on start/shutdown and clashes is pretty neat though. You may want to talk to Erv as I believe he had plans for incorporating a motor with his boards.

Couldn't figure how to work that in but... Yes, Erv's board will fit in an MHS. Corbin's needs sanding but can too.

vpr
11-02-2006, 10:26 AM
These are actually very good question. You gone around looking for quite a bit too. I wish all newbies did that.

Thank you, I like to do a lot of research before opening my big mouth. I've probably sat in this cafe for a month now reading and reading and reading heh.

Ultra's new blades are too large for the MHS. With sanding they would fit though. Now the bad news... you will lose the extensio/rectraction with his blade. You NEED a coring blade like Erv's or Corbin's, otherwise it's just a fade in/out. If you didn't know Erv's is essentially a combo of the two. He uses PolyP (very similar to Ultra's acetate) inside Corbin's film.

Ahh, that's a let down. I like how even the fiber-optics have made the blade, and also how it reduces the burst at the bottom towards the hilt, but I really like the retraction/expansion effect too. Hmm, maybe I'll just get two blades and interchange them with my mood, sounds like the only solution for now. Is it difficult to sand it without causing damage to the blade, or hampering the integrity of the whole blade?

While I believe it would be possible to get Corbin's latching board to work with Erv's sound I bet you'd have some compromises. Like Erv's uses the accelerometer to determine clashes, but Corbin's needs a momentary switch or shock sensor. For seamless work of the sound and light I would recommend Erv's combo of both boards. You'd pretty much be stuck e-mailing both trying to get it to work out since this is not a normal configuration.

That makes sense - Erv had recommended his products together in an email I sent him, but I wanted an outside opinion.

Ultra's board is a wildcard in my book right now. To me if it is only what I know now, a switchable amperage output and sounds, then it'd be a great alternative to MR board. If he has the extension/rectraction then it'd certainly be even better. I'm not sure he'd include that kind of feature though as his new film blades don't make use of it. Time will tell with that...

Guess we're left in the dark until it's out.

Resonators: I'd say the constant hum will get old. The kicks on start/shutdown and clashes is pretty neat though. You may want to talk to Erv as I believe he had plans for incorporating a motor with his boards.

Ah, I'll send another email off to Erv asking about that. I think the kicks would be very nice...

Couldn't figure how to work that in but... Yes, Erv's board will fit in an MHS. Corbin's needs sanding but can too.

score!

Do you know if Tim will do anything custom on an MHS part? I'd like to get one/two of the pieces to be black instead of chrome.

xwingband
11-02-2006, 10:35 AM

Ahh, that's a let down. I like how even the fiber-optics have made the blade, and also how it reduces the burst at the bottom towards the hilt, but I really like the retraction/expansion effect too. Hmm, maybe I'll just get two blades and interchange them with my mood, sounds like the only solution for now. Is it difficult to sand it without causing damage to the blade, or hampering the integrity of the whole blade?

I have done this many times with Tim and Corbin's blades. If you put tape at the edge of where the sanding needs to stop it will not bother the blade at all. It's very minimal sanding (a couple hundredths of an inch), so the structure is not changed.

score!

Do you know if Tim will do anything custom on an MHS part? I'd like to get one/two of the pieces to be black instead of chrome.

Tim has said he has the stuff to anodize the aluminum, but hasn't had the time to learn and implement it yet.

ryanlb
11-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Ultra's new blades are too large for the MHS. With sanding they would fit though.

Are you sure? I just bought one of those blades and it fits perfectly in Tim's Anakin blade holder, which I thought was the same size as the MHS emitters. I haven't tried it in my MHS yet, but I assumed it would fit.

xwingband
11-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Ultra's new blades are too large for the MHS. With sanding they would fit though.

Are you sure? I just bought one of those blades and it fits perfectly in Tim's Anakin blade holder, which I thought was the same size as the MHS emitters. I haven't tried it in my MHS yet, but I assumed it would fit.

Unless he has a varience in his PolyC supply mine doesn't fit my MHS at all. It's actually the worst fit of any blade I've gotten so far.

ryanlb
11-02-2006, 11:38 AM
The lower 2 inches does look like it had already been sanded. I'll try it out when I get home for lunch. But still, since he sells MHS sabers I can't imagine that he would sell blades that don't fit in them. :?

vpr
11-02-2006, 11:56 AM
The lower 2 inches does look like it had already been sanded. I'll try it out when I get home for lunch. But still, since he sells MHS sabers I can't imagine that he would sell blades that don't fit in them. :?

Report back when you get the chance please :)

xwingband
11-02-2006, 12:46 PM

There you go then... he probably had it sanded as mine was untouched for sure. Mine was from the an initiate and thus didn't matter.

james3
11-02-2006, 12:50 PM
You fine fellas do know that every once in a while there is a slight variation even in the MHS blade holder right?

I have had blades slide smooth as silk in to one and then have to wrench the heck out of it on another. This is not a regular deal as most tend to all take the blades the same way but ya get a little wonky one every now and then.

:wink: how bout that use of the new TCSS word.

ryanlb
11-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Well, I forgot to check while I was at home, I'll have to do it tonight. You know, another way to check would be to email ultra when you buy the blade and tell him you're getting it for an MHS and I'm sure he'll make sure it fits.

goldsaberwarrior
11-08-2006, 11:46 AM
If you're decide to use one of corbin's drivers I'll tell you what he told me. If you want to do like I did and incororate a clash and lock up button the driver while at the same time have a sound board, this is what he told me to do. Corbin told me you could have both a clash switch for the shimerring effect and sound board. However you must put the sound board on the opposite end. I'm sorry if I'm confusing you and I don't want to sound like I'm trying to push you into using one of Corbin's drivers, but if you want to use one and want sound plus a clash and lock up switch this should help you. This should work if you use one of Corbin's drivers. Hope I could help.

Dark siders beware my golden blades.

james3
11-08-2006, 11:56 AM
You mean this?
http://www.corbinscomponents.com/w/W-BasicSound.jpg