PDA

View Full Version : Ad video for the shop

goldsaberwarrior
04-15-2014, 01:15 AM
Title suggests what I wanted to ask about. Basically what I'm wondering is has the sabershop ever thought of making a little ad video of some type explaining what all the shop does, sells and what not. The reason I ask is I've shown the sabers I've built to a few friends that are nerds as well and I had some folks asking me about them, where did I get the parts, how do you do it etc. I've directed them here and gave them some info to get started and all. Was just curious as to what the shop thought of doing a short video explaining what the shop does, sells and that what not we could send to folks who are interested in learning more.

MrCafe
04-15-2014, 05:16 AM
I feel this would be a great idea. I normally just link people to some of my favorite build videos and Tim's shop to give them the idea of what it is all about.

Strydur
04-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Getting info across to new customers is one of our biggest downfalls I think. People who have been here forever have been slowly fed the info and items and have a good grasp on how everything works but someone new to the site probably finds it pretty overwhelming. I try to take the time to write or get someone to do tutorials and we have the MHS builder but I think a lot more could be done and I currently do not have the time. If anyone wants to take the time to write new material or update the "start here" section I am all for it.

unclescary
04-15-2014, 04:34 PM
I actually been lurking around for here about 2 years before I made the plunge. looked around on youtube to see how to wire up sound boards and looked around for diagrams mainly because I'm a visual learner. Still working on my first saber, but had to put it down due back issues that keeps me from sitting. Go fig.

Ty_Bomber
04-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Tim, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a TCSS youtube channel? If folks wanted to create video tutorials on MHS, wiring, etc, could we vet them through you and have them put up there for quick reference for the new kids?

goldsaberwarrior
04-16-2014, 08:47 AM
I've had about 10 people over the past 3 months or so ask me about the sabers I've made now, where did you get the parts, how did you make it, stuff like that. Been directing them here to the site and to the forums incase I'm not able to help them so some of the other sabersmiths can help them out. I have a camera and some programs to edit stuff I can put together some vids with. If the site has a youtube channel then that would be cool since we could all get some stuff in one place to get info out there for the shop. I planned to make a short text something for some friends on how to use the MHS builder but I can turn that into a short tutorial vid for the shop. I figured I would ask about videos since some folks had been wanting some info lately and I figure it would be easier if we had a resource for new folks. I have some ideas for a few videos. Are there any tutorials or anything in particular that you feel is desperately needed?

Strydur
04-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Yes I would be more than happy to post videos to our YouTube channel.

I get asked the most about wiring. Most people can use the MHS builder to figure out the hilt but then have no clue on the wiring. I have been working on getting a wiring system like the MHS builder but it has been a bit difficult to nail down.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Well, I do have at least one build coming up - I guess I can let my camcorder roll while I do the wiring of various things to makes few videos. Tim, you may also want to talk to Matt, he did some videos a while back, though they are old, they should be useful as well. I'll email you the links when I get a chance to find them.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Yes I would be more than happy to post videos to our YouTube channel.

I get asked the most about wiring. Most people can use the MHS builder to figure out the hilt but then have no clue on the wiring. I have been working on getting a wiring system like the MHS builder but it has been a bit difficult to nail down.

Other than reviewing the basics, wiring is hard to do because everyone wants to do different things, and it is nearly impossible to cover every last option and possibility.

Silver Serpent
04-16-2014, 12:07 PM
True. I found 7 different wiring diagrams for the old econo boards in the first post of http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10288-2010-Electronic-Lightsaber-w-DVD-Tutorial

No two saber newbies ever seem to want to do the same thing with their first saber. Recharge port, no recharge port, accent LEDs, illuminated switches, latching vs. momentary, etc. I'd love to sit down and make a collection of wiring diagrams and put them all in a single post. I just don't think I have the time. Or the skill in MS Paint. :)

Ty_Bomber
04-16-2014, 01:26 PM
What if we had a TCSS vlog? Someone who could represent TCSS and do short vids on best practices, how to make a wiring diagram (as opposed to just asking for one), ohms law, drilling and tapping holes, etc. Something that could be used as an example without spoonfeeding. We could start with an introductory video talking about just what you might be getting into, navigating the site and the forums, and then create subsequent videos in order of most requested topics.

...i just described Madcow's shop secrets, didn't I...?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-16-2014, 01:30 PM
What if we had a TCSS vlog? Someone who could represent TCSS and do short vids on best practices, how to make a wiring diagram (as opposed to just asking for one), ohms law, drilling and tapping holes, etc. Something that could be used as an example without spoonfeeding. We could start with an introductory video talking about just what you might be getting into, navigating the site and the forums, and then create subsequent videos in order of most requested topics.

...i just described Madcow's shop secrets, didn't I...?

Yup. There are "some" videos and tutorials floating around, they just need to be corralled, reviewed updated added onto and put in one place.

Strydur
04-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Good plan FJK.. get to work :cool:

RavenXp
04-17-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm actually planning and constructing my first saber. I could always do a video series that might help newbies see what goes into planning and building a saber along with wiring and soldering. Might be a month or two though, still saving for the parts then depending on when I have that, see when the next powder coating schedule is.

Before you ask, my first saber, not first electronics project.

Jay-gon Jinn
04-17-2014, 06:10 PM
Well, I do have at least one build coming up - I guess I can let my camcorder roll while I do the wiring of various things to makes few videos. Tim, you may also want to talk to Matt, he did some videos a while back, though they are old, they should be useful as well. I'll email you the links when I get a chance to find them.
There is a whole series of videos on my YouTube channel that covers a build from start to finish titled "chrome saber 21 video build log."
It's also somewhat old, bit might still be relevant today.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-17-2014, 06:20 PM
I had those in mind, along with a series that Matt did a while back, plus a few others that I remember seeing. I just have to round them all up, have their owners OK their use, and then give them to Tim. I could also do fill in videos for various things.

Jay-gon Jinn
04-17-2014, 09:25 PM
well, i posted it in a topic here, here's the link: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?9831-Jay-gon-Jinn-s-Chrome-Saber-21-%28MR-sound-w-3W%29-Video-Build-Log