PDA

View Full Version : How to solder the PCV3?

Arashi LV426
03-27-2014, 07:00 AM
Sorry I would like to know IF the wires on the Petit Crouton Sound Module V3 are to be inserted in the holes and solder?
My doubt is because I see all the photos on the sound board with the wires resting just above and tin but NOT included?
The side of the sound board where you insert the SD card is the sub? I can solder in this side of the wires inserted from above?

Thanks and sorry for my poor english!

Silver Serpent
03-27-2014, 07:32 AM
Inserting the wire into the holes and soldering is called through-hole soldering. Through-hole soldering is not recommended with the PC.

It is generally safer to solder the wires resting on the surface of the board. In a few locations, specifically the holes opposite the SD card holder, you can easily bridge things and short out the board.

Arashi LV426
03-28-2014, 06:49 AM
I figured out the problem footprint of the weld in some areas.

But why?:
"Generally it is safer to solder the wires resting on the surface of the board."

:confused:

Silver Serpent
03-28-2014, 07:11 AM
Quote from erv, the guy who builds and designs the Petit Crouton (and other boards):

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=29473.msg408925#msg408925

soldering wires "flat on pads". I think I also mentioned "flat on top" too but I didn't mean to avoid the underside.
Flat on pads is a personal recommendation and a rule of the thumb :

problem 1) beginners tend to over pour solder in the pad holes, and in certain area of the board, solder leaks under and create shorts. Pre tin the pad with little solder to just start filling the hole. Wait to cool down. Add some more quickly to have a bumpy-chubby-roundy pad, then solder the pre tinned wire

problem 2) having the wire totally inserted in the hole makes it difficult to remove when servicing the board (what ? you need to desolder wires on the sound boards ? really ? )

problem 3) : having wires soldered perpendicular to the board require to be bent to be aligned with the board. Laying flat make alignment and insertion in the hilt easier.