PDA

View Full Version : Greeting everyone

Darkasset
03-23-2014, 07:55 PM
I plan on making some cool sabers. This place is great. Good people and great shop.
I'm fairly good mechanically but I don't know how to do electronics
I plan on making 4
My Girlfriend's (the first one I'll make) will be purple blade (haven't decided to go with white led and filter (the easy route) or tri-rebel only attaching blue and red) it will also have a crystal chamber with a large amethyst inside suspended by brass wire.
a potentiometer to use on the red to dial it in so it is not too pink
The questions I have are what resisters do I need after the Buck puck
the blue and red will be run in parallel
the accent LED will be NTE30121 - 5mm Super Bright Purple LED Indicator (hopefully it will make the Amethyst look like it is glowing
Reverse voltage: 5V
Continuous forward current: 30mA
Peak forward current: 100mA

The other sabers are TBD
Thank you for any help

Sevinzol
03-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Welcome.

if you use resistors you wont need a buck puck. Your Diagram might work, you wont need a resistor on the blue LED (1000mA is fine) but the red LED maxes out at 700mA.

I haven't played with potentiometers but I think you will find they will take up some room, especialy since you want a chrystal chamber as well.

Try the Royal Blue instead of just blue LED. I guess what I would do is temporarily wire stuff up, dial it in with a pot and then check the pots setting with a meter and use resistor of the same value. I know there are a few threads posted by people making purple blades. You should be able to find them with a little searching

Again welcome.
[edited after doing a little reading]

Forgetful Jedi Knight
03-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Welcome to the Forums!

Darkasset
03-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Thank you everyone and thanks for the suggestion on the royal blue. With the pot I was going to use it that way. The purple threads I read where using sound, wile sound is cool I wanted this one to be silent and light up the room.