PDA

View Full Version : Have clear coated saber, but now want to add a shroud. What should I do?

bladenano
03-17-2014, 05:45 PM
So I have a clear coated saber (over media blasting) but I didn't have Tim turn down the diameter. I have heard that the shroud will not fit over powder coating. If I want to use MHS sleeve material for a shroud, would splitting it down the middle allow it to fit?

Silver Serpent
03-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Clear coat PC is one of the thinner ones you can apply, IIRC. An "open" design (one that is split lengthwise) could possibly fit without too much issue. If you use sinktube instead of MHS sleeve, then it will open up a bit on its own when you split it.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
03-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Well, you're only real hope is to either see if Tim can turn down the inside of the shroud material by a couple of mm, or try to use small pieces that don't go all the way around the diameter of the main hilt (like the Orgus Din design). This is why design and planning are so important.

Strydur
03-17-2014, 07:30 PM
From my testing the shroud material will fit over pretty much any PC. The more textured, etc the tighter the fit will be though to the point of very snug. Over clear,wet black, and any color really you would want to make sure the inside of the shroud is sanded very well or it will scratch the PC.

bladenano
03-17-2014, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the info!