PDA

View Full Version : Light nunchaku parts list project

othelarian
03-16-2014, 06:59 AM
Hi,

I start today my parts list project. I now I didn't finish yet, but it's a little bit complicated, for the parts and for the money.
For the money, I'll save 10 ? per week, so tomorrow I'll have 20 ? (~ 28 $). I hope to have enough money to buy the first parts before June.

For the parts, I need to construct two nunchuks, so 4 hilts. I split the 4 hilts in small parts, to let me buy each stage when I can.

The first stage is just basic MHS parts :
* 4 MHS pommel style 7 + powder coating PM72 copper vein
* 4 MPS insert style 1 (saber version, so without the chain)
* 4 MPS insert style 6 (nunchuk version, with the chain attach in the hole)
* 4 MPS clip
* 4 hilt style 4 no hole + powder coating SH43 + box 14 mouting holes service

I will post the second stage later, I need some time to verify and select the good parts.
For each hilt, I forecast a crystal chamber, a buckpuck, no sound, and a rebel star & MHS module.
Why the "box 14 mouting holes services ? Because I need two recharge ports and two latching AV illuminated blue ring switches.

I have an idea of a hilt in two parts, like this :
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w596/othelarian/SaberBuilder_render_003_zps86754e88.png (http://s1331.photobucket.com/user/othelarian/media/SaberBuilder_render_003_zps86754e88.png.html)

It's just a prototype, not what I want. I'm just sure about the first stage.
I will make a more detailled schematics later, with the blade, the electronics, and some manifolds, I work slowly.

Sevinzol
03-16-2014, 09:16 PM
This is a novel idea. I would throw in a word of caution. nunchaks are illegal in several countries and at least 4 US states. it would really suck to go to all that work and then have them confiscated.

othelarian
03-17-2014, 02:43 AM
I'm agree, it sucks to have them confiscated :mad: , but I'm lucky, I live in France, in one of the biggest military harbor, so nunchaks is not the priority for policemen ^^, and I asked to be sure when I made some shows with fire staffs, and they said that if it's clearly for show purpose, and if they are not directly accessible when I don't play with them for a show (in a special bag for example), it's ok. During the summer, there are plenty of medieval festivals all around and in the harbor, and a lot of men and women with blades, crossbows, polearms, etc, walking in the streets, so nunchaks are not a real problem ^^. My only big problem is that the nearest star wars con is very very far.

I worked a little on the parts list, but I have some trouble with the crystal chamber. Where I can find some crystals like this :
http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/rotjlukev2/003.jpg

I found the crystals in the shop, but they are really small.

I have also some difficulties with the wiring schematics, but I need to freeze what I want a little bit before asking for some help. I plan to use flexible transparent hoses with some leds, like a EL saber, starting from the bottom and spin around the blade to up until the main hilt. I think a picture is necessary to correctly explain my idea, but I hadn't enough time to do that this week-end. Very soon, I swear.

Anyway, I calculated the total price for the first stage, and I need some weeks to reach it. So the electronics parts may wait five or six months, so I have time to make the schematics.

Sevinzol
03-17-2014, 02:10 PM
You can make crystals out of a lot of things. Check at those medieval fairs for "new age" items like quartz crystal. see if you have a stained glass studio (for colored glass) or maybe a sign shop (for acrylic). we have a 'rock shop' in town here where they have all sorts of lose stones, gems and chrystals. if you have a gaming store, buy some Dungeons & Dragons dice and sand off the numbers, then use a small flame to fire polish the scratches out. Try a flea market, look for old chandelier chrystals. if you have a dremel you can grind down any old piece of glass like a soda pop bottle. Have fun experimenting.

othelarian
03-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all this ideas !
I don't now why, but it's really difficult to find in a shop here a quartz crystal or something like that, even in a medieval shop. For the dice, I thought about it, but I want taller cristal, more like a quartz stone.
After some hours on google, I found this, and I think I'll purchase in this site : https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/152523265/5pcs-naturelles-clear-rock-crystal?ref=sr_gallery_47&ga_search_query=rock+crystal&ga_ship_to=FR&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

For the wiring, I'll open a new thread, too complex and really not ready for this one.